Random Friday Topic - Co-Workers Outside of Work

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Wasn't sure how to title this, but I have had a few realizations recently about some co-workers that I have been working with for over a year now. I was curious if anyone else has had a situation in which they have a relationship at work with someone and think you know them pretty well, but then learn a tidbit about the life outside of work that changes your perception of them? For good or bad, although all mine are interesting in a good way.

In the past month I have learned these things I found interesting

Remote Co-Worker - Just found out today that she is a "starving actress and director". By stumbling upon her IMBD on google. She has been the lead actress in a movie with Eric Estrada (in 2015 lol) and runs an acting blog that has over 10,000 followers haha

Managerial Level - Older lady that is nice as can be, found out that her son is a pretty well known rapper that mainly raps about getting high and partying. Would have never thought she was his mom as she is just this happy go luck 60+ year old who loves coming to work every day

Engineer - Found out a higher up engineer in my company has, himself, gotten almost 100 patents approved in his career. And he is also the head of an international technology group that is very highly regarded in our field, but comes to work and acts like another average joe.

I just found these fascinating as I would have never learned this info if I had not talked with them further in-depth about their life outside of work. Was curious if anyone else has had an experience like this in their jobs, either now or in the past?

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Not really, considering this is me on Friday afternoons:

UdHHDro.gif

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
At one point I was the only one in the operations side of my company that hadn't gotten a DUI.
How did that come up in conversation? haha "Yeah, I'll go for a drink after work, but someone else has to drive" "yeah, me too." "Uh, yeah me also" ..... *you driving your whole team to the local bar questioning why none of them can drive*

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
How did that come up in conversation? haha "Yeah, I'll go for a drink after work, but someone else has to drive" "yeah, me too." "Uh, yeah me also" ..... *you driving your whole team to the local bar questioning why none of them can drive*

What's scarier is that more than half of them had gotten multiple DUIs

On the plus side, when I got a speeding ticket, I had no shortage of recommendations for a lawyer.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I worked with this guy for a like a year. One Monday, he shows up looking like he got hit by a truck. Face all black and blue, cut on his lip, one eyeball all bloody.
We were like "Jason, what the heck happened to you?"
He was super nonchalant responding, "Oh, I was in an MMA fight."
People were like "You tried MMA?"
He said, "Yeah I've been fighting for maybe 2 years."
One woman said "You've been doing this for two years? But, I've never seen you come to work looking like this before."
He laughed and said "Well, I've never lost before."

This dude was about as unassuming as you can get. Quiet, not overly athletic, definitely did not fit the stereotype that you think of when you think of MMA fighters. I think everyone in the office changed their opinion of him that day.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I worked with this guy for a like a year. One Monday, he shows up looking like he got hit by a truck. Face all black and blue, cut on his lip, one eyeball all bloody.
One woman said "You've been doing this for two years? But, I've never seen you come to work looking like this before."

This dude was about as unassuming as you can get. Quiet, not overly athletic, definitely did not fit the stereotype that you think of when you think of MMA fighters. I think everyone in the office changed their opinion of him that day.
don't **** with Jason.

• Agree
Reactions: kkise

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

He obeys the first rule

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
"Stumbled upon" her IMDB page....
Yeah, I looked up her name and our company to make sure her direct phone number was not on our website or her linkedin as a client had given me her direct number he got some how. Trust me, I had to tell the story a few times to my co-workers as they were confused as well. But I saw the IMBD page, it was longer name so I didn't think it was the same person just same first and last name, the reason I stopped was because the first photo that popped up was her company one, the second was her in this huge costume, it certainly caught my attention as I thought it couldn't have been her. Or you can call me a stalker, whichever you prefer haha

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Woman at work who used to report to me married one of our co-workers. After about a year of marriage, she left him for another woman at work. He also started dating someone from work. Eventually he was fired (unrelated to this whole mess), but she and her girlfriend still work here. Weird.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Yeah, I looked up her name and our company to make sure her direct phone number was not on our website or her linkedin as a client had given me her direct number he got some how. Trust me, I had to tell the story a few times to my co-workers as they were confused as well. But I saw the IMBD page, it was longer name so I didn't think it was the same person just same first and last name, the reason I stopped was because the first photo that popped up was her company one, the second was her in this huge costume, it certainly caught my attention as I thought it couldn't have been her. Or you can call me a stalker, whichever you prefer haha

Hey man, no need to make excuses to me. Just don't kill her.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

I have a similar work story. I worked construction years ago, and there was a guy on our crew who was 6' 3" and chiseled to the bone. Super chill guy, quiet, shy and very religious. Also very nice. At lunch one day, he comes up to all of us with tickets to this MMA thing I had never heard of (this was almost 20 years ago). I ask him what it is and he explains it. I ask what his role in this is because it surprised me he would be involved with this in any way. He says "I'm one of the fighters. I'll be near the end and would love it if you guys would come." We all sat there with open mouths, just gawking at this guy.

So of course we went. We see a couple of fights before he's up and I'm thinking "WTF is going on here" because I've never seen anything like this, still floored this quiet dude we've worked with for six months does this. His fight comes up, and he beats the living **** out of his opponent. Blood everywhere. Not a scratch on my co-worker. He cleans up, comes out and thanks us for coming, says he appreciates the support.

Work was very strange that Monday.