My 2 cents on the U.N.I. game.....

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I'm not worried about this game at all. I would be shocked if we didn't win by 3 touchdowns or more. This one is in the bag fellas. Our non-con is relatively stress free this year. Yes, Iowa gets all fired up for the game against us, but we are certainly the superior team this season. Hopefully it plays out that way on the field. The Iowa game is never a gimme. This is the first year that I feel the UNI game is a gimme.
Must of mixed some good drugs in with your kool-aid... Jealous!

Aug 26, 2014
Must of mixed some good drugs in with your kool-aid... Jealous!
I know the past has been tough, but CMC is finally the right guy for the job. We are going to win 6 or 7 games this year, including all 3 non-conference games. Just enjoy the ride and don't worry, there will be room for you next to me on the bandwagon when this team proves me right.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I know the past has been tough, but CMC is finally the right guy for the job. We are going to win 6 or 7 games this year, including all 3 non-conference games. Just enjoy the ride and don't worry, there will be room for you next to me on the bandwagon when this team proves me right.
I'm to the stage as a fan where it's put up or shut up with the coaches. I want to be optimistic but I'm a realist. I'm hoping we come out and roll uni but my gut says otherwise.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I thought last season turned out better than expected after a season opening loss to UNI and blowout by Iowa. Hard to say that losing to both of them and going 3-9, but I expected to get pasted a lot more after the 0-2 start. Team was competitive. Same result this year though and we're in trouble. Have to keep recruits believing in the change, two years losing to UNI might deter the most optimistic fans/recruits.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Lol people said the same thing about Rhoads. I'm as hopeful as the next cyclone, but talk is cheap. Gotta take on the biased goggles and look at it from the logical standpoint. Every fan base is excited about their team at this time of the year. Hope is a beautiful thing, but from a logical standpoint we are still behind most of the big 12 in talent. Give us two more years of our current recruiting and some on the field success and I'll be snorting lines of kool-aid with ya!

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Lol people said the same thing about Rhoads. I'm as hopeful as the next cyclone, but talk is cheap. Gotta take on the biased goggles and look at it from the logical standpoint. Every fan base is excited about their team at this time of the year. Hope is a beautiful thing, but from a logical standpoint we are still behind most of the big 12 in talent. Give us two more years of our current recruiting and some on the field success and I'll be snorting lines of kool-aid with ya!

Maybe we should recruit that Kool-aid guy, dude runs thru walls!

• Agree
Reactions: tyler24

im4cyru

Mar 30, 2014
We are going into this contest with offense and defensive lines owning nearly the same amount of game experience as the linemen we put on the field last year. Our play in the first two games last season resembled a couple of Chinese fire drills. UNI on the other hand returns several starting linemen on both sides of the ball in addition to two full time starters from 2015 that sat out during 2016.

Our heavies this season, though with limited experience playing together, are familiar with and benefit from practicing in system which I believe allows us to prevail. Though it would be nice, I'm still hesitant to enter all this blow-out talk.

• Agree
Reactions: MrPeske

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
We are going into this contest with offense and defensive lines owning nearly the same amount of game experience as the linemen we put on the field last year. Our play in the first two games last season resembled a couple of Chinese fire drills. UNI on the other hand returns several starting linemen on both sides of the ball in addition to two full time starters from 2015 that sat out during 2016.

Our heavies this season, though with limited experience playing together, are familiar with and benefit from practicing in system which I believe allows us to prevail. Though it would be nice, I'm still hesitant to enter all this blow-out talk.
Definitely makes me nervous about this game, but the good thing is that it sounds like the players put in extra work this summer. Last year it didn't sound like guys would spend extra time perfecting their craft. Also, the staff has had a year to implement their style and know their players better. Hoping for a big win, but I won't be surprised by any outcome.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Lose to UNI and we won't be going bowling, and it won't be a good year.

However, just like last year, I'll still be at every home game hoping to see a win.

The problem with this UNI game is that UNI never has any pressure on them to win, and ISU has all the pressure in the world on them to win. Just look at this thread.... if we lose this game, we all feel the season is pretty much over (and it likely is). How's that for pressure going into the first game of the year.

And you could see it in the game last year IMO. Our guys were pressing all night. Trying for the big plays all the time thinking they were going to have to score on every possession to prove how much better they were. And UNI just went about their business and stayed to their game plan.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Does ISU play UNI every year or just every so often? Is UNI a D1 or FBS or whatever it's called these days or lower division?

FCS

Its a rather meaningless label though in today's environment.

If they were in the south, teams like UNI and NDSU likely wouldve been snapped up to a lower-end FBS conference as happened in the sun belt as realignment caused an upward flow.

No such low-end fbs conference exists in this part of the country for them to move up to.

• Informative
Reactions: Jjflm62

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is weird. It seems like we're usually penciling in 7-9 wins right now and filled with posters claiming a 30+ point win over UNI.

I think we'll get past UNI with a win, but I didn't think that was the optimistic view of things.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
All the optimism was sucked out of me after the first 2 games last year. I wanted to believe that Campbell could show up with his full coaching staff and hit the ground running. We did the exact opposite.

Still hopeful this year is drastically different.. but I'm going to wait and see.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This is a must win if the team is going win more games than last year. The schedule is not as good as last year in terms of who ISU plays where. They need to win this one to have confidence going forward.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This team has more holes than you give it credit for. It's only year 2.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
As much as it aggravates the hell out of me, it'll of course be another nail biter. UNI returns plenty of talent. Their problem for the first half of last season was playing the wrong quarterback.

The biggest advantage we have is continuity of coaching staff. At least this go round, we have a better idea of our own strengths and weaknesses. Farley replaced almost all of his assistants. Hopefully we can take advantage of any sideline confusion like they did a year ago against us.

I've just come to expect a nail-biter every year. Seneca's first game is the the only woodshed beating I remember ISU giving them.

Clones by a TD

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
We will crush UNI. You think Campbell screamed at them after the Iowa game last year? If they come out flat, people will die of heart attacks at half time during his locker room massacre.
Lazard, Butler, Montgomery, Jones, Warren, I could keep going but I think it's fair to say they are out matched. 45-17 good guys.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I think we drink the same koolaide!

• Agree
Reactions: 1976

Help Support Us

Become a patron