Wifi range at new house kind of sucks

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
whats the best seamless solution? Just move the router/modem (all in one) around? It is currently in the basement.

Get a better router and put it in the same place?

I don't want to do any kind of extending because it isn't always seamless.

Ranch home about 1700 sq ft on each level to cover.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
whats the best seamless solution? Just move the router/modem (all in one) around? It is currently in the basement.

The new direction is mesh networks, that allow expansion of the network by adding additional access points, though they vary a lot.

Netgear Orbi, Amplifi, Eero, Google Wifi, and Linksys Velop are some of the alternatives.

Its better than 'extenders' because they all end up as the same wireless network.

I've been debating getting this system but instead of the 2 smaller points, getting a couple of the base stations (which can be turned into just APs) and wiring them together as wired backhaul will always work better (though wireless will still handle the vast majority of internet usage)

Reactions: ruxCYtable

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Google W-Fi. I bought the package of 3 and they are excellent. I get full coverage through the house, my basement, and even in the back yard. This isn't an extender, I've also had bad luck with them. This is a mesh system.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
What kind of router do you have right now? And is it centrally located in the home? Those should be the only 2 adjustments needed.

• Agree
Reactions: pulse

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What is this product link was messed up.

Edit: I see it now. So would I just take out the crappy modem/router combo in there now and replace it with this?

Yup. You can have the best internet a company has to offer, but if you attach it to a substandard wireless router you are going to have bad internet in your house. I can stream video, game on my laptop, my daughter stream videos/play games on her iPad, and my wife can play on her phone - all with zero internet issues in my house.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
5Vs1mEL.png

MVWvFoj.png

P9i4T82.png

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

You got a router/modem combo box, like from CenturyLink or Mediacom?

While the modems in them tend to work well, the router halves are usually pretty sub-par. What I had to do was log in to the CL combo box I have (it has a sticker on it with the login information) and set it from router mode to Silent Bridge mode (modem-only mode). Then, just wired my own router in, poof, problems solved.

Chad

Sep 10, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I tried eero version 1, was ok. Tried Orbi, super fast but wasn't reliable and their latest firmware has been having all kinds of issues, now on Eero Pro and while not quite as fast as Orbi it's fast enough for everything I need and is stable.

84 grad

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines

You need to move it upstairs.

bstegs

SuperFanatic
Apr 11, 2006
Champaign, IL
I ha e had good luck with an orbi dual setup in my house. The main unit sits in the center of the house in the basement. Then the second unit is on the first floor. I get excellent coverage in my second d floor bedroom

I was also very interested in getting the plume 6 pack. Their range is short, but they are so small and unobtrusive.