Getting to 6 in 2017

Which wins get ISU bowl eligible in 2017?

• Sep 9 Iowa

Votes: 146 73.7%
  • Sep 28 Texas

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • Oct 7 @Oklahoma

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Oct 14 Kansas

Votes: 172 86.9%
  • Oct 21 @Texas Tech

Votes: 143 72.2%
  • Oct 28 Texas Christian

Votes: 34 17.2%
  • Nov 4 @West Virginia

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Nov 11 Oklahoma State

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Nov 18 @Baylor

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • Nov 25 @Kansas State

Votes: 65 32.8%

• Total voters

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I am sick of hearing the same thing in every prediction thread about where our wins are coming from. The losing mentality is so engrained into our fan base that we are afraid to consider ourselves as good or better than any other team besides Kansas! I'm not saying that we should write ourselves in for a win over Oklahoma, but we need to start thinking of ourselves as equals to the majority of our league. We need to stop considering ourselves the underdog in every game and calling our wins "steals", as if they don't really count. We need to break away from our "spot" in the hierarchy and realize that we were competitive in just about every big 12 game last year. And we should be even better this year!

In my mind, if we truly are improved:
Must win - UNI, Akron, Kansas
Probable Losses - OU, OKSt
Winnable - UT, Iowa, KSU, WVU, Tech, BU, TCU

It shouldn't be about stealing 3 wins from 7 teams that are presumed better than us, it should be about winning as many of the 7 games that we will be competitive in. The only STEALING we should do this year is if it's an Oklahoma team.
I would put KSU and WVU in the probable loss category just because they are road games at what should be top 4 teams in the league. From that, we win one of the two remaining road games (Baylor and Tech) and 2 of the 3 home games (Texas, TCU and Iowa). Add that to the 3 must wins and we're there.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I'll say this without embarrassment, but a win over KU is not a given. Improvement in the program is clear, recruiting for the 2018 class is impressive, it appears things are on an upswing in Lawrence.

They are definitely in a much better place then they were before. They are still pretty short of impact defensive players, but they have found something that works for them on offense. They did not win a lot of games last year, but they did put a scare into several B12 teams.

In the end, CMC and his coaching staff have got to find a way to make ISU better for 4 quarters this year. NOt sure if the issue is all depth, but ISU let several wins slip away in the 4 last year. Well actually, the last several years.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
We are going to thrash TTU again. Their defense hasn't changed, and they lost their best player.
Mahommes is an amazing performer. He had a couple of his best games against ISU. With some irony, he had possibly his worst game ever in their blowout loss in Ames this last year. (I said ... their blowout loss in Ames in reference to a gridiron opponent ... it kinda makes me tingle!! :D) . Of course, he was playing injured. It was also a rare, northern, late November, cold weather game. The best case scenario for the home squad. But stats are stats. ... Anyway, I wish all the best for Mahommes in his NFL career, and hope he becomes the KC Chiefs long time starting QB. Of course, I am primarily greatful he chose to enter the draft in his junior year.

As to the prospect of winning in Lubbock. The last win there was a blowout for ISU following a really odd week for the Tech-sters. They came off a 3 am Sunday win in Norman, and their body clocks were all out of whack. A great opportunity for a Rhoads road win, but as we were to learn, it was no kind of trend.

For this year, yes, on paper, ISU has better overall talent, superior special teams, and superior coaching. But lets not forget the Red Raider intangibles. First, location, which (like a Trump tweet) is self explanatory. Second, they've got tremendous home state pride down there, a Texas home turf swagger. Third, they can bring in top shelf, true freshman talent that does not show up in the summer magazines. And fourth, it is gonna be hot down there early in the season. So, while I like the match up, winning will take a level of maturity and toughness we haven't seen much of in this millennium. It will be a test of mettle, and I think this years most important game. This team has it in them, but a win in Lubbock this year, even a close one, will prove this team is exceeding expectations in CMC year 2. And because the win might even be "expected", it would maybe even be a bigger deal than last years blowout win.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Mahommes is an amazing performer. He had a couple of his best games against ISU. With some irony, he had possibly his worst game ever in their blowout loss in Ames this last year. (I said ... their blowout loss in Ames in reference to a gridiron opponent ... it kinda makes me tingle!! :D) . Of course, he was playing injured. It was also a rare, northern, late November, cold weather game. The best case scenario for the home squad. But stats are stats. ... Anyway, I wish all the best for Mahommes in his NFL career, and hope he becomes the KC Chiefs long time starting QB. Of course, I am primarily greatful he chose to enter the draft in his junior year.

As to the prospect of winning in Lubbock. The last win there was a blowout for ISU following a really odd week for the Tech-sters. They came off a 3 am Sunday win in Norman, and their body clocks were all out of whack. A great opportunity for a Rhoads road win, but as we were to learn, it was no kind of trend.

For this year, yes, on paper, ISU has better overall talent, superior special teams, and superior coaching. But lets not forget the Red Raider intangibles. First, location, which (like a Trump tweet) is self explanatory. Second, they've got tremendous home state pride down there, a Texas home turf swagger. Third, they can bring in top shelf, true freshman talent that does not show up in the summer magazines. And fourth, it is gonna be hot down there early in the season. So, while I like the match up, winning will take a level of maturity and toughness we haven't seen much of in this millennium. It will be a test of mettle, and I think this years most important game. This team has it in them, but a win in Lubbock this year, even a close one, will prove this team is exceeding expectations in CMC year 2. And because the win might even be "expected", it would maybe even be a bigger deal than last years blowout win.

I would simply argue there schemes and talent don't match up with ours. I am not attacking you personnally but I really hate the 'Oklahoma State' excuse of they weren't on their game for this or this. It's a real game. If you don't show up ready to play, you will get owned. Maybe that is what happened, but until they prove otherwise, they are a team we will destroy. On paper and in reality from last years contest. That game was an absolute dismantling of a program. That was our coaches destroying their coaches. Maybe they are better this time around, but I really doubt Johnny Football will be making his comeback in Lubbock this year.(In reference to a freshman phenom not showing up in early projections.)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I am not sold that Texas will be 100% turned around into a world-beater by late september. No matter how good Herman is, change is hard. Plus its up here. I think that's a very winnable game.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My view of easiest to hardest:
Kansas
UNI (in theory)
at Toledo
at Texas Tech
Iowa
TCU (not sold on Frogs being as high as some, and it’s at home)
at Baylor
Texas
at West Virginia
at Kansas State
Oklahoma State
at Oklahoma

To get 6:
Musts: UNI, at Toledo, Kansas
At least 2 of these: Iowa, at Tech, TCU, at Baylor
At least 1 of these: Texas, at West Virginia, at Kansas State
Any other W is gravy

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Once KU starts the year 2-6 (or worse) those recruits will see a 3/4 empty memorial stadium and will bolt for the better offers.

That's my prediction anyways.

"3/4 empty memorial stadium".....thats funny but true. I went to the ISU at KU game for 30 years and only saw one nearly full stadium...a whole bunch of times it was 10K to 22K inside the stadium.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
"3/4 empty memorial stadium".....thats funny but true. I went to the ISU at KU game for 30 years and only saw one nearly full stadium...a whole bunch of times it was 10K to 22K inside the stadium.
Last year it was quite sad how empty the stadium was when I went for the ISU/KU game.

Reactions: CyBobby

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That was a week earlier so should have little to no bearing on the game. In addition the ISU game the following week was a night game as well which solidifies the no bearing status. Any Red Raiders trying to blame the blow out on that was just grabbing at straws and making excuses.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Had the weird dream/nightmare last night about our first game of the year. I was watching the news and the sports segment was on and the guy said the "Virginia is clinging to a 5-4 lead late in the game against Iowa State". I woke up after that 5-4 score and go "when did Virginia get on the schedule? Must have been the fish tacos I had last night!!

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Had the weird dream/nightmare last night about our first game of the year. I was watching the news and the sports segment was on and the guy said the "Virginia is clinging to a 5-4 lead late in the game against Iowa State". I woke up after that 5-4 score and go "when did Virginia get on the schedule? Must have been the fish tacos I had last night!!

So, a game with 4 safeties and a field goal?

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
There's not a lot of optimism about Tom Herman's homecoming of sorts in week 5. At least not in our poll. But Jake Trotter of ESPN, in the Week 5 installment of his Big 12 Ultimate Road Trip column, gives some love to Iowa State, saying that "The Cyclones could produce a huge win ... handing Herman some major early adversity".:

http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/120373/big-12-ultimate-road-trip-week-5-2

Of course, he references the 24-0 shutout the Longhorns suffered on their last visit to Ames. That game was just never imprinted on my memory like Austin Arnaud's masterpiece in Austin in 2010. The teams were both struggling in 2015, and I missed it in part due to the Longhorn network. One day, maybe, you can stump your grandchild with the question: In what season did Iowa State shut out Texas, yet did not make it to a bowl game?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Can't see us winning Skelator's final home game. Senior days are always tough for the road team and to have the added expectations that he'll finally be hanging it up with his health issues doesn't bode well for us.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA

I was laying in bed last night and i drifted off to sleep and I had a dream that we where beating Bingville 14-3 but I woke up kind of sad ,but I cheered up when I realized that it was only a dream, because I know we can beat Bingville by way more than that.

• Winner
Reactions: ATCy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
You mean to tell me that we are finally going to beat Kansas State...well....I have to admit that would be different for a change.

ISU beat Snyder coached teams in 1989, 1993, 2004 and 2005, and Ron Prince in 2007. All but '04 were played in Ames. ISU leads the series 49-47-4. At most, Coach Snyder has 2 seasons left in his career.

On the OP list the four most likely wins, I'd say Ku, TCU, @ Tech, and @ Baylor in that order.

Last edited: