Getting to 6 in 2017

Which wins get ISU bowl eligible in 2017?

• Sep 9 Iowa

Votes: 146 73.7%
  • Sep 28 Texas

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • Oct 7 @Oklahoma

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Oct 14 Kansas

Votes: 172 86.9%
  • Oct 21 @Texas Tech

Votes: 143 72.2%
  • Oct 28 Texas Christian

Votes: 34 17.2%
  • Nov 4 @West Virginia

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Nov 11 Oklahoma State

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Nov 18 @Baylor

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • Nov 25 @Kansas State

Votes: 65 32.8%

• Total voters

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
As a realist, I think it is fair to say that qualifying for a bowl in 2017 is not setting the bar too low. With a 3-3 record over the past 10 years vs UNI, there are no certain wins on the schedule. But with a talented coaching staff, exciting players at skill positions, and a loyal fan base, qualifying for a bowl after a 5 year drought is at least thinkable in 2017.

In looking at the schedule, though, how do you get ISU their 6th win? Most would agree that UNI and KU are must wins at home, along with Akron on the road. But with the 3 otherwise next most winnable games on the road: @ TXT, @ WVU, and @ Baylor, getting to Win #6 will require a lucky punch or 2.

November includes only one home game against highly touted Oklahoma State. It is arguably a trap for the Cowboys, since it follows Bedlam in Stillwater, and is followed by their hosting K-State, potentially with playoff implications. An exciting upset prospect, but the bottom line is that we're really gonna need 5 wins by Halloween to keep post season hopes alive.

If ISU is to become bowl eligible in 2017, ISU must win the opener at UNI and the road game @ Akron (... the poll only allows 10 choices :rolleyes:). Beyond that, what 4 additional wins would get them there?

Notes:
  • To pessimists: Sure, the odds are against it, but its summer, so dream a little! :cool:
  • To optimists: The poll is a "pick 4", so pick the first 4 beyond UNI and Akron.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
As a realist, I think it is fair to say that qualifying for a bowl in 2017 is not setting the bar too low. With a 3-3 record over the past 10 years vs UNI, there are no certain wins on the schedule. But with a talented coaching staff, exciting players at skill positions, and a loyal fan base, qualifying for a bowl after a 5 year drought is at least thinkable in 2017.

In looking at the schedule, though, how do you get ISU their 6th win? Most would agree that UNI and KU are must wins at home, along with Akron on the road. But with the 3 otherwise next most winnable games on the road: @ TXT, @ WVU, and @ Baylor, getting to Win #6 will require a lucky punch or 2.

November includes only one home game against highly touted Oklahoma State. It is arguably a trap for the Cowboys, since it follows Bedlam in Stillwater, and is followed by their hosting K-State, potentially with playoff implications. An exciting upset prospect, but the bottom line is that we're really gonna need 5 wins by Halloween to keep post season hopes alive.

If ISU is to become bowl eligible in 2017, ISU must win the opener at UNI and the road game @ Akron (... the poll only allows 10 choices :rolleyes:). Beyond that, what 4 additional wins would get them there?

Notes:
  • To pessimists: Sure, the odds are against it, but its summer, so dream a little! :cool:
  • To optimists: The poll is a "pick 4", so pick the first 4 beyond UNI and Akron.

You guys aren't really playing AT UNI are you?

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
You guys aren't really playing AT UNI are you?
Yes. Luckily, the UNI AD is giving the ISU student section an entire side of the Unidome, so it'll essentially be a home game. Plus, the ISU boosters snatched up most of UNI's season tickets for the game. Unfortunately for UNI, all their other home games will basically be empty.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
Really we just need to play a solid four quarters in a few games. I like our chances against texas tech without mahomes. There isnt a lot of sure wins but most that we have a chance.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Really we just need to play a solid four quarters in a few games. I like our chances against texas tech without mahomes. There isnt a lot of sure wins but most that we have a chance.
According to Phil Steele, we suffered 3 net close losses last. We win those and we were bowling. But last year, there were 5 home games in the league, including 3 in November. This year, that's inverted. Its a better overall team, but the way the schedule plays out will tend to offset that. Gonna need to win the close ones, and learn to be bad company on the road this year.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
I am sick of hearing the same thing in every prediction thread about where our wins are coming from. The losing mentality is so engrained into our fan base that we are afraid to consider ourselves as good or better than any other team besides Kansas! I'm not saying that we should write ourselves in for a win over Oklahoma, but we need to start thinking of ourselves as equals to the majority of our league. We need to stop considering ourselves the underdog in every game and calling our wins "steals", as if they don't really count. We need to break away from our "spot" in the hierarchy and realize that we were competitive in just about every big 12 game last year. And we should be even better this year!

In my mind, if we truly are improved:
Must win - UNI, Akron, Kansas
Probable Losses - OU, OKSt
Winnable - UT, Iowa, KSU, WVU, Tech, BU, TCU

It shouldn't be about stealing 3 wins from 7 teams that are presumed better than us, it should be about winning as many of the 7 games that we will be competitive in. The only STEALING we should do this year is if it's an Oklahoma team.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Being 3-0 heading into that Thursday night Texas game would be huge and a great step in being bowl eligible. Confidence would be high and I believe we would have a great shot at starting 4-0.

But we all know how that first game of the year goes. So I'll give it a 22% of happening.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
West Virginia was my vote for win 6, but I see only 2 others checked them9. I was pessimistic about the earlier part of the season. Curious why some would pick road games at Baylor or K-State ahead of West Virginia? Baylor will be on the way down, but they still have remnant talent of a contender. K-State promises to be solid this year, and we haven't won there since ... uh ... don't remember, to be honest. Was that the year McCarney broke the spell in the first Snyder dynasty?

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I'll say this without embarrassment, but a win over KU is not a given. Improvement in the program is clear, recruiting for the 2018 class is impressive, it appears things are on an upswing in Lawrence.

Although, I've got to say, KU has the ugliest stadium I have seen personally in P5. But, that's not the key to recruiting, apparently. That falls to personal relationships between coach and player. And maybe, as they say in real estate sales, location, location, location. Kansas borders Oklahoma and is only a skip and a hop from Texas.

iSu, such an outstanding university located in an exceptional state with wonderful people, it's a tough go. I gotta say, though, if anyone can illuminate the wonderful qualities iSu has to offer to prospective student-athletes, it's Matt Campbell and staff.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I'll say this without embarrassment, but a win over KU is not a given. Improvement in the program is clear, recruiting for the 2018 class is impressive, it appears things are on an upswing in Lawrence.

Although, I've got to say, KU has the ugliest stadium I have seen personally in P5. But, that's not the key to recruiting, apparently. That falls to personal relationships between coach and player. And maybe, as they say in real estate sales, location, location, location. Kansas borders Oklahoma and is only a skip and a hop from Texas.

iSu, such an outstanding university located in an exceptional state with wonderful people, it's a tough go. I gotta say, though, if anyone can illuminate the wonderful qualities iSu has to offer to prospective student-athletes, it's Matt Campbell and staff.
Once KU starts the year 2-6 (or worse) those recruits will see a 3/4 empty memorial stadium and will bolt for the better offers.

That's my prediction anyways.

• Funny
  • Agree
Reactions: CyBobby and CyInDFW

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Random question and discussion question...

(1.) When do the preseason AP rankings and all that come out?

(2.) Are we ranked at 3-0...? Or do we need to down Texas for 4-0? Or even not then?

• Optimistic
Reactions: FatNTired

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Well... unless we are winning in Norman to go 5-0...

I would figure 6-1 (one loss to OU) would be good enough to do it...?

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN

I second that motion. I actually think CMC will be seen as a transformational coach like Johnny Majors was. He will have success at Iowa State, and eventually move onward and upward. Until then, let's enjoy the journey. Great recruits. Players developing year to year. Opponents no longer penciling in a win. Sellouts at the Jack, and bowling for the holidays.
:)

Help Support Us

Become a patron