NBA: ***Official NBA Draft and Offseason Thread***

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Cal is now coaching the younger USA teams which is an even bigger advantage. He is coaching kids he is recruiting.

Exactly what K was doing. College coaches shouldn't be allowed to coach those U-18 team USA squads.

Reactions: rholtgraves

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Side note. Ainge has been in the front office with Boston since 2003 and he has never drafted a player that has become an all-star.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
“What we’ve done tonight is set a direction,” said John Paxson, Bulls vice president of basketball operations. “We’ve gone through the past where we’d make the playoffs but not at a level we wanted to. In this league, success is not determined that way. So we’ve decided to make the change and rebuild this roster. And we’re going to do it through young players we believe can play a system that [coach] Fred [Hoiberg] is comfortable with. And we’re going to be disciplined and patient as we make decisions along the way.”

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
I think Ainge is holding out for Anthony Davis. The Pelicans are locked into giving the Brow/Cousins combo a chance this season, but if/when that blows up the Celtics will be the only team with the assets necessary to land a player like him.
The pelicans aren't going to trade Davis. You would have to be very stupid to trade the best PF in the league.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The pelicans aren't going to trade Davis. You would have to be very stupid to trade the best PF in the league.

Might not be up to them. Let's assume the Boogie experiment doesn't work out and Cousins bolts after next season. You think Davis would waste any more of his prime toiling for an organization that can't get it together? If he asks for a trade, there won't be much they can do other than comply and get the best possible deal - which would come from Boston.

The Pelicans have a lot riding on this upcoming season. If it doesn't pan out, the franchise player is not going to wait around for another rebuild.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Legler brought up a good point. The TWolves were a bad shooting team last year and have done nothing to help that. Maybe that is what they trade Rubio for. Although Thibs has never had much of a use for shooters. His Bulls teams were always lacking in that area.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
In Thibs vs Bulls FO, Thibs is the clear winner. The T'wolves have a two or three year head start on the rebuild and a now a legit veteran star. I may be jumping on that bandwagon.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
The more I think of the Bulls trade of Butler the more I like it, next year is going to be a big down year but thats a good thing if they can get into the top 3-4 picks. All of those top players are front court players while they got two pieces that hopefully continue to improve at the guard positions.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Can someone explain to me why the draft experts say shooting is not a strength for Monte, and then turn around and say that one of the impressive things about Justin Jackson was his improved shot? Jackson shot 37% from 3 and 44.3% from the floor last year while Monte shot 37.8% from 3 and 46.5% from the floor last year. Is it just because of the positions they play?

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
For all the people that hate the Bulls trade I have a question/s for you.

What if Indiana had made the same deal with the Timberwolves for Paul George? Indiana sends PG to T-wolves for Lavine, Dunn and 7th overall pick. From an Indiana perspective would that be a good or bad deal?

I believe most would say that it is good deal because Indiana got something for George rather then nothing when he left in free agency.

If you apply that same logic in Chicago it is a good deal. While Jimmy didn't threaten leaving, Jimmy Butler will command a Super Max deal in two yrs. (I know he has three yrs left but 3rd yr is player option). The Bulls are in no position to really build team up before Jimmy hits Super Max and after he got that money Chi would be a rebirth of the Knicks.

The Bulls get a player in Lavine that is 5.5 yrs younger and better at age 22 then Jimmy was. The Bulls are in a position to allow Zach to be the PG that he wants to be and grow even more. They also got Porzingis light in Markkanen. Kris Dunn is better then Canaan and Grant, so you can get rid of a few PG's.

But all of that is secondary to the most important part of the deal which was moving Butler. Butler is a fringe Super Max player. Don't get me wrong he is good, but when you have Butler getting 200 million he needs to be better. At 25-30 mill per yr he will hamstring the Wolves in two yrs and Minny will be exactly like the Bulls the last 7-8 yrs or so.

Reactions: jkclone

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

What if Indiana had made the same deal with the Timberwolves for Paul George? Indiana sends PG to T-wolves for Lavine, Dunn and 7th overall pick. From an Indiana perspective would that be a good or bad deal?

I believe most would say that it is good deal because Indiana got something for George rather then nothing when he left in free agency.

If you apply that same logic in Chicago it is a good deal. While Jimmy didn't threaten leaving, Jimmy Butler will command a Super Max deal in two yrs. (I know he has three yrs left but 3rd yr is player option). The Bulls are in no position to really build team up before Jimmy hits Super Max and after he got that money Chi would be a rebirth of the Knicks.

The Bulls get a player in Lavine that is 5.5 yrs younger and better at age 22 then Jimmy was. The Bulls are in a position to allow Zach to be the PG that he wants to be and grow even more. They also got Porzingis light in Markkanen. Kris Dunn is better then Canaan and Grant, so you can get rid of a few PG's.

But all of that is secondary to the most important part of the deal which was moving Butler. Butler is a fringe Super Max player. Don't get me wrong he is good, but when you have Butler getting 200 million he needs to be better. At 25-30 mill per yr he will hamstring the Wolves in two yrs and Minny will be exactly like the Bulls the last 7-8 yrs or so.

It's interesting to see bulls fans that still drink the gar pax koolaid. It is a dwindling group

I like Levine, but he's a long way from being a solid point guard, and he's had a major injury. Dunn was a huge disappointment, hopefully for him, and the bulls, sake, change of scenery will be good for him.

The NBA is raising the cap, so huge contracts for good players aren't as detrimental. The wolves need shooters, and to trade Rubio. KAT is star, and Wiggins is still a freak. A pg to go with their big 3, and Minnesota could finally be a rising team.

The bulls after all these years, now have to convince their fans to be patient for yet another aimless rebuild.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

I don't think the Bulls got "fleeced" as they are resetting and as you state Butler was likely going to be eligble for the super max eventually. The issue is he has 2 years of club control at under 20 million per season which is an absolute bargon tor a top 15 two way player and this deal would have been available next year (without giving up 16 too). If you have a top 10 player that is worth more than 3 late lottery pick fliers one coming of ACL injury. George isn't a great comp as he isn't likely going to qualify for the superrmax making his FA equal money wise and already liked to LA his value is less that of Butler.
The trade can work for both teams as T-Wolves needed a Vet that knows Thibs system and fits the timeline of Wiggins and Towns. Most are very confident it will work and Butler now isn't eligible for the supermax in two years since he isn't with his original team limiting their risk. Chicago can come out of this trade well but only if 3 unknowns all come through and based on last year that is far from a sure thing for Dunn lackluster rook year, Lavine of injury and a 7th pick. Now if they are bad next year and get another top 3 pick they can fully rebuild but it will be 3-5 years before they compete. Fine during the GSW era but fans have the right to be disappointed that a different package with more proven assets wasn't acquired shorting the rebuild.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Levine won't be playing PG. and the ACL injury is a non issue. After watching more on the Lauri he has a huge upside. Maybe he'll turn out to be what they thought Mirotic could be. Also, now they will be in the lottery and can try to get some young stars,make cap room and in two-three years try and get some big free agents

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
It's interesting to see bulls fans that still drink the gar pax koolaid. It is a dwindling group

I like Levine, but he's a long way from being a solid point guard, and he's had a major injury. Dunn was a huge disappointment, hopefully for him, and the bulls, sake, change of scenery will be good for him.

The NBA is raising the cap, so huge contracts for good players aren't as detrimental. The wolves need shooters, and to trade Rubio. KAT is star, and Wiggins is still a freak. A pg to go with their big 3, and Minnesota could finally be a rising team.

The bulls after all these years, now have to convince their fans to be patient for yet another aimless rebuild.

Not only have you shown to struggle with reading comprehension, but your deductive reasoning has led you to a gross overestimation.

You need to reread my post and recalibrate your deduction because it led you astray. I hate Gar/ Pax. John Paxson has been GM or VP of B-ball Ops since 2003 and the Bulls have been spinning their wheels in that time. However, that doesn't mean that this move is the wrong move.

I was kind when I said Jimmy will be a 25-30 mill per yr guy in 2 yrs. I said that because there is a chance he will take less money with T-wolves. However, Jimmy Butler has a 5 yr 200 million designated player exemption looming in his contract. I will help you so you don't have to think that is 40 mill per yr for 5 yrs. The salary cap for 2019-2020 is projected at 107 mill. Jimmy with a deal at 40 mill per yr would eat 37% of the cap and that is before KAT and Wiggins get their money.

Gar/ Pax have created a mess in Chicago no doubt, but the Bulls were not in a position to keep Jimmy Butler around. The reality of the Bulls situation would have been completely clear to the League next year and that is why it was imperative to move Jimmy now so we wouldn't end up in the same situation as the Pacers.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Not only have you shown to struggle with reading comprehension, but your deductive reasoning has led you to a gross overestimation.

You need to reread my post and recalibrate your deduction because it led you astray. I hate Gar/ Pax. John Paxson has been GM or VP of B-ball Ops since 2003 and the Bulls have been spinning their wheels in that time. However, that doesn't mean that this move is the wrong move.

I was kind when I said Jimmy will be a 25-30 mill per yr guy in 2 yrs. I said that because there is a chance he will take less money with T-wolves. However, Jimmy Butler has a 5 yr 200 million designated player exemption looming in his contract. I will help you so you don't have to think that is 40 mill per yr for 5 yrs. The salary cap for 2019-2020 is projected at 107 mill. Jimmy with a deal at 40 mill per yr would eat 37% of the cap and that is before KAT and Wiggins get their money.

Gar/ Pax have created a mess in Chicago no doubt, but the Bulls were not in a position to keep Jimmy Butler around. The reality of the Bulls situation would have been completely clear to the League next year and that is why it was imperative to move Jimmy now so we wouldn't end up in the same situation as the Pacers.

Gee Thanks for clarifying. I am sorry that I read you try to justify a trade, which you were, and responding to that.

As far as the trade, there was more out there for them. A poster above stated that he has two years left with a solid organization friendly contract. He also didn't publicly come out and say he wanted out like George did. If you're truly rebuilding, like they're saying, young non superstar type players aren't what you're looking for. Levine will never be the face of a franchise type.

You use the pieces that have value, the corpses of Dwayne wade and rajon rondo, and try to turn them into draft picks. They're going to suck enough to get in the lottery

The contract dollars he will be due really are irrelevant as Minnesota is not a free agent destination. Their struggle will be to resign their own players.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Did Johnathan Motely really not get drafted? Crazy with the mocks I saw, some had him first round most at least drafted....

Motley has to be close to a first team Cyclone Killer. It seemed like 30 points and 18 rebounds was his normal game against us. Even before he blew up nationally he was killing us.