***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I would be fine with that. You only play with 8-9 max, so if you have 3 guys sitting out that's perfectly fine.

My only question is who is left for sit-out transfers?

yeah not really anyone left. But there could always be someone that pops up or maybe a mid year guy.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Well that's not too surprising I guess.

So we'll have 5-6 scholarships to fill by next spring.

I like this actually. There's more and more mid year transfers every year and we'd be best suited to have a scholarship to offer. There's less competition that time of year anyways since most schools are full on scholarships.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Look...I get not adding just to add someone. And also get that a rotation might only be 7 players mostly. But only 9 eligible scholarship players next year on the roster??? And one of the 9 is coming off a second ACL surgery/rehab. Man, that seems risky. You could have another injury, heaven forbid, or a suspension, also heaven forbid. Yikes!
I was thinking the same thing, I'm holding out hope a grad transfer emerges that could at least add some depth. Would still have 1 schollie in our pocket.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I was thinking the same thing, I'm holding out hope a grad transfer emerges that could at least add some depth. Would still have 1 schollie in our pocket.

Yeah. Or what happened to the days when you could luck out and pick up a walk-on that could actually play on occasion when your team absolutely needed the depth? Like an Ashton. (Or wasn't he a walk-on?)

Ajg515

Nov 17, 2016
Des Moines
Kwe Parker? Has he landed anywhere yet? I've tried to find info on connections or who he's interested in and came up empty. I might just be terrible at research though.

His jumper isn't great and he didn't deliver on the hype his first season in Tennessee, but Prohm would seem like a perfect coach for him to land with to get things figured out.. if Parker has his priorities in order, at least.

cychase_

Mar 27, 2017
Ames
As an Illinois fan this makes me very happy, they are in a similar spot as we are here needing to replace a lot of scoring
Which also reminds me, Jalen Coleman-Lands is said to be thinking about leaving Illinois after the coaching change. Dude is a dead eye shooter. Looking for the next Tyrus McGee? This guys it.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Which also reminds me, Jalen Coleman-Lands is said to be thinking about leaving Illinois after the coaching change. Dude is a dead eye shooter. Looking for the next Tyrus McGee? This guys it.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jalen-coleman-lands-1.html

Looks like a lot of speculation that Coleman-Lands may end up at DePaul due to the La Lumiere connection. He's a former near 5 star recruit who averaged 10 and 8 in his first two seasons at Illinois and shot 40% from three in those two years on a large number of attempts. Would be quite the addition to the transfer pool if he isn't dead set on DePaul.

Last edited:

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Looks like a lot of speculation that Coleman-Lands may end up at DePaul due to the La Lumiere connection. He's a former near 5 star recruit who averaged 10 and 8 in his first two seasons at Illinois and shot 40% from three in those two years. Would be quite the addition to the transfer pool if he isn't dead set on DePaul.

DePaul and Illinois play this fall so he may be blocked to transfer there.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

Looks like a lot of speculation that Coleman-Lands may end up at DePaul due to the La Lumiere connection. He's a former near 5 star recruit who averaged 10 and 8 in his first two seasons at Illinois and shot 40% from three in those two years. Would be quite the addition to the transfer pool if he isn't dead set on DePaul.
He has a connection to this guy?

tumblr_n25qdoGVfK1trmkp7o1_500.gif

Reactions: rholtgraves

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I'm fine not adding someone just to add someone. We just went through that with Carter and Kasongo.
True, but having those two never hurt Iowa St. It played out almost exactly how you hope it does with "project" players. Bring them on, if they don't progress like you hope, then you part ways. Iowa St has two scholarships. If you wanna play the mid year market, bank one, then don't be scared to use the other on someone that has some upside.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
True, but having those two never hurt Iowa St. It played out almost exactly how you hope it does with "project" players. Bring them on, if they don't progress like you hope, then you part ways. Iowa St has two scholarships. If you wanna play the mid year market, bank one, then don't be scared to use the other on someone that has some upside.

You could argue that having a scholarship tied up on a guy like Kasongo hurt us in the ability to pursue mid years this last winter. Who knows if we would've landed or even recruited them but guys like Isaac Copeland, Sam Cunliffe, Jahmal McMurray or Harry Frolling would've been welcome additions to future squads.

There's more and more mid year transfers every year so like others have suggested, I'm very much a fan of the staff holding one scholarship for that this winter if a game changer guy doesn't become available this summer.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I would take a 5th years senior if it don't work out he is gone anyway. Then bank one. That is if nothing else is available. The chances of getting two mid year transfers is very slim. So why not take a guy that might be able to come in and add a minute or two to give someone a break that is above walkon status but maybe not a star?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

6-3 190 lb guard. Sit 1 play 2. 9.1 ppg 2.0 rpg and 1.0 apg in 25 min per game. 40% career 3 point shooter with almost 400 attempts his first two years in Champaign.

He'd be a great addition as a sit out guy and would replace Jackson as our 3 point threat after next season.