RECRUITING: Jeff Beverly commits

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I like this kid the more I look at him and his numbers. Seems like we got a solid frontcourt player who can get some minutes while Lard and Young develop.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I'm excited about what he can contribute. Attitude and leadership at a minimum.

Thanks for joining the team Jeff!

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Haven't watched much of any of his game, but there has to be a reason people were not going after him...including us for a long time. Anyone with insight as to why? That being said, glad to have him on board, because things were starting to look really, really bleak for next season.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Haven't watched much of any of his game, but there has to be a reason people were not going after him...including us for a long time. Anyone with insight as to why? That being said, glad to have him on board, because things were starting to look really, really bleak for next season.

Several schools reached out, but he's a Texas kid who wants to play in the Big 12 in a full arena. That's us.

Miami, Nevada, New Mexico, Georgetown, and St. John's all made contact at some point. This is a great addition

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
I really happy to receive an experienced player like Beverly. If Hans Brase is healthy and he commits that would be icing on the cake. If we look at the experienced leadership combined with our outstanding freshmen along with our veteran Cyclones we'll be a force to be reckoned with. That would be a great stage with many options for 2017 and a great base leading into 2018.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
After all the misses, I'm definitely glad we got Beverly. We need some bodies that can hopefully at least provide a few minutes here and there. And I love his attitude and desire to play for ISU, and that can take a person a long way right there. I think he'll be someone with something to prove hopefully.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Updated it...

I put him as a wing. Seemed fitting.

Wigginton
Jackson
Weiler-Babb
Lewis
Young
---
McNeill OR Long
Beverly
Lard

I think that is a team that might struggle early, but could surprise some people and come on strong at the end. Maybe even enough to push into the top half of the conference for an NCAA or NIT bid.

:)

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Hilton Magic does get recruits once in awhile.

For those saying he isn't athletic, Halsted and Montz interviewed him on their podcast and he said the things he is working most on are his diet and speed/agility. I expect him to make a little improvement at least, sounds like a guy dedicated to hard work and the team mentality to do what is asked of him.

Great Plan B guy. I'd say Plan A was Juiston, Brown, Shayok and Morrow. When you have 4 scholarships, there are 4 Plan A guys and 4 Plan B guys. Math is hard for some of you, but the next guy we have visit doesn't become Plan C or D.

Get Brase and we have a good stopgap for the frontcourt until '18. Then Young and Lard will have been in the program 2(1.5) years and it sounds like we're leading for Race Thompson.

Two years from now and we'll have a much more balanced roster and not need to fill 7 scholarships in one class. That is a crazy number to fill.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

For those saying he isn't athletic, Halsted and Montz interviewed him on their podcast and he said the things he is working most on are his diet and speed/agility. I expect him to make a little improvement at least, sounds like a guy dedicated to hard work and the team mentality to do what is asked of him.

Great Plan B guy. I'd say Plan A was Juiston, Brown, Shayok and Morrow. When you have 4 scholarships, there are 4 Plan A guys and 4 Plan B guys. Math is hard for some of you, but the next guy we have visit doesn't become Plan C or D.

Get Brase and we have a good stopgap for the frontcourt until '18. Then Young and Lard will have been in the program 2(1.5) years and it sounds like we're leading for Race Thompson.

Two years from now and we'll have a much more balanced roster and not need to fill 7 scholarships in one class. That is a crazy number to fill.

No kidding. We lost...

Morris, Mitrou-Long, Thomas, Burton, Bowie, Holden, Carter

...and are gaining...

Wigginton, McNeill, Lewis, Lard, Shayok, Beverly, +1, +1

That is 54% of our roster turning over in one year. I hope that never happens again.

Prohm has done an enviable job navigating this cliff with young talent, a guy who can help next year, and further help for the future, with some pieces remaining while still maximizing the best he could the fumes of the Hoiberg era into two great years.

Next year might be rough, but remembering this makes me super hopeful for the future. We might only lose one starter the year after next once Donovan rides off into the sunset, and we already have Shayok waiting there to take his place in the rotation.

Last edited:
Reactions: skelly

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I don't know how it all works but a key here is that transfers are part of all programs now, ISU getting a Plan B type of situation is nothing new and some favorite ISU players have been guys that were under the radar but ended up being very nice players.

No idea what will come of Beverly but it sounds like he really wanted to be at ISU, and that's more than I can say for the others so great.

Help Support Us

Become a patron