A letter from Steven Leath: Regarding the budget

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Is this a non-essential repair?

HW14ptNE7lJw4.gif
Well, if not that, he did also say he wants to reduce travel costs.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Ha. You have noodle arms. Do you even lift?

I was being generous on the weight. Depending on your sourcing an arm is around 5% of body weight and I go about 150 so my arms are 7-8 pounds each. I bumped the example weight because so many posters on CF are assumed fat asses and fat arms weigh more than muscled toned arms. What, you think I post such things without thinking it through first? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneErik

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I was being generous on the weight. Depending on your sourcing an arm is around 5% of body weight and I go about 150 so my arms are 7-8 pounds. I bumped the example weight because so many posters on CF are assumed fat asses and fat arms weigh more than muscled toned arms. What, you think I post such things without thinking it through first? :)

T H I C C

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
ISU, like so many other colleges and universities, have huge, no "yuge" amounts of fat they could cut that would have no impact on their education and research missions. You students who will face tuition and fee increases would be stunned at how much money is spent by the administration and support staff simply trying to comply with Federal reporting requirements.

I'd be interested in that number and what it's paying for do you have a source or reference?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Let's be honest, the boomers will only cease screwing their children after they die. It's not the illegals that are hurting our country, it's our entitled 50-70 year old crew.

Seriously? You think that increasing the funding of Iowa State to $187 million is "screwing their children?" They just didn't give as big an increase as Leath wanted.

P.S. Another boomer recently "screwed the children" by promising $94 million to Iowa State.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Seriously? You think that increasing the funding of Iowa State to $187 million is "screwing their children?" They just didn't give as big an increase as Leath wanted.

P.S. Another boomer recently "screwed the children" by promising $94 million to Iowa State.
That is an extremely significant budget shortfall that will likely fall to tuition. We can't just keep passing the bill to the students and then complain when they can't afford it.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Just looked up what my state income tax would be if I lived in conservative Iowa versus the more liberal Minnesota with it's current huge budget surplus. Was a little surprised to see my bill to the state would be larger in Iowa than I currently pay here. :rolleyes:

That could be right, though you can't go directly off marginal rates because Iowa makes a number of adjustments to the Federal return in calculating your tax--e.g. the deductibility of Federal tax paid. I'm not defending Iowa necessarily, by the way--just a point of information.

• Informative
Reactions: BoxsterCy

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
Education costs out-pace health care. The system is propped up by the government, which isn't all bad. It can't continue and needs some reform.

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
I was talking to my aunt and uncle the other day and they said their tuition was cheaper than just my books this semester.

I bet you and them would also like to go back to what they were getting paid at the time.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
What I don't understand is how Republicans don't understand the negative effects of young adults graduating from college with massive amounts of debt? The biggest driver in increases in tuition has been cuts to funding. They are cutting off their nose to spite their face. Geniuses.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
ISU, like so many other colleges and universities, have huge, no "yuge" amounts of fat they could cut that would have no impact on their education and research missions. You students who will face tuition and fee increases would be stunned at how much money is spent by the administration and support staff simply trying to comply with Federal reporting requirements.

I always find it ironic when people complain about Federal Reporting requirements around federal money received but then also want greater transparency into what that federal money is being spent on.

If you want better transparency there's going to have to be reporting requirements.

st8cydr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Let's be honest, the boomers will only cease screwing their children after they die. It's not the illegals that are hurting our country, it's our entitled 50-70 year old crew.

As a 50-70 year old boomer, please tell me what you think I believe I am entitled to. I pay 10s of thousands of $ in taxes every year. As for screwing my children, I sacrificed vacations, toys, etc to save money for them for college so they didn't have the same college debt I did. I shouldn't be expected to carry the burden for the mommys and daddies who decided to buy the boat and/or go to Disneyworld every year instead of putting a little away. For families that are truly struggling, I am all in for aid. But when you've made a conscious decision, tough toenails.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and dtISU