A letter from Steven Leath: Regarding the budget

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Leath sent out an email to the university today. See attached.

Content:

January 26, 2017

Dear Iowa State Community:

Leaders of the Iowa House and Senate reached a deal that will cut $8 million from Iowa State University’s budget for the current fiscal year (FY17). The bill passed the Senate today and we expect the bill will pass the House and be signed by the Governor next week.

State funding is critical for us to maintain the exceptional experience our students deserve. With that in mind, we will take a very thoughtful and diligent approach to how we manage these cuts so as to minimize the impact on our students now and in the long-term. More specifically, we will focus on:

· Postponing nonessential deferred maintenance and repairs

· Delaying some searches or eliminating vacant positions

· Reducing expenditures for professional development, equipment, travel, printing and communications

· Reducing some campus-wide services temporarily

Any reduction to our state appropriation is detrimental. We will continue to call on the Governor and the General Assembly to make higher education a priority. Iowa State has demonstrated time and again that an investment in public higher education is truly an investment in a prosperous future for all Iowans.

Sincerely,

Steven Leath

President

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    27.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Informative
Reactions: SoapyCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So blah blah blah, Branstad wanted a tax cut for corporations and estate taxes and our universities are going to have to pay for it, blah blah blah. What's new?

Just looked up what my state income tax would be if I lived in conservative Iowa versus the more liberal Minnesota with it's current huge budget surplus. Was a little surprised to see my bill to the state would be larger in Iowa than I currently pay here. :rolleyes:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So Iowa's state appropriation was $234 million and ISU's was $187 million (never mind that ISU is larger and has far more Iowa residents enrolled), and now both are required to give $8 million back to the state. Yeah, that's fair.

Prorated as an equal cut distribution based on the dollar amounts would have been the fair way to address it but since when do you expect the idiots in Des Monies to be fair. High school funding is a hotter button, these legislators know a majority of people in Iowa don't give a **** about their universities other than the Iowa football team.

Cripes, just got the thank you from ISU Foundation this week, guess I can expect the "please contribute more" letter next week.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just looked up what my state income tax would be if I lived in conservative Iowa versus the more liberal Minnesota with it's current huge budget surplus. Was a little surprised to see my bill to the state would be larger in Iowa than I currently pay here. :rolleyes:

Iowa is a purple state at best and has some of the highest overall tax rates in the country. Not surprising that taxes would be more in Iowa. You also had an "independent" governor for quite some time.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
ISU, like so many other colleges and universities, have huge, no "yuge" amounts of fat they could cut that would have no impact on their education and research missions. You students who will face tuition and fee increases would be stunned at how much money is spent by the administration and support staff simply trying to comply with Federal reporting requirements.

Reactions: AgronAlum and mkadl

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa is a purple state at best and has some of the highest overall tax rates in the country. Not surprising that taxes would be more in Iowa. You also had an "independent" governor for quite some time.

You do know that Ventura inherited a $4.5 billion surplus from Gov. Carlson and handed off a projected $4.5 billion deficit to Gov. Pawlenty only four years later? His big deal and "legacy" was his property tax reform that proved to be unsustainable.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
ISU, like so many other colleges and universities, have huge, no "yuge" amounts of fat they could cut that would have no impact on their education and research missions. You students who will face tuition and fee increases would be stunned at how much money is spent by the administration and support staff simply trying to comply with Federal reporting requirements.
While that may be true, cutting down $8 million dollars at a time, on short notice, is probably not the best way to handle that.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Leath sent out an email to the university today. See attached.

Content:

Too bad for ISU. If ever there was a time for Leath to call in a fundraising favor with his celebrity bowhunting pal, it would be now.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
While that may be true, cutting down $8 million dollars at a time, on short notice, is probably not the best way to handle that.

Nope, the fastest way to lose that 15 pounds the doctor wants you to lose is to amputate your arm. Fast. Clean. Ideologically pure. :eek:

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Is this a non-essential repair?

HW14ptNE7lJw4.gif

Reactions: Spam