Press conference

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We know nothing of the terms of the contract. Not much point fighting over the salary issue. Clearly someone might be able to take a certain amount up front if juicy incentives are available.

Spam

May 21, 2008
Well there's a lot that goes into a coach's salary negotiation. Contract length. Base salary. Dozens of different incentives, benefits and bonuses worth potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars. Buyouts. Etc.

So it's understandable that several issues might not have been discussed at a simple interview- issues that could result in dollar differences worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

CLONER99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2015
He really doesn't care that much about the cash. He doesn't even have an agent.

How many big time D1 coaches DON'T have an agent? This guy is something else.

Last edited:

CLONER99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2015
But he has a lawyer that acts as his agent, usually the main difference is pay-structure for the services rather than any difference in functionality.

Neither Toledo, nor ISU negotiated with his lawyer. He has an attorney who reviews the contract for him. He does NOT have an agent who negotiates compensation.

4score

Nov 9, 2015
Yes. Money always matters to about 99% of the population.

Neither Toledo, nor ISU negotiated with his lawyer. He has an attorney who reviews the contract for him. He does NOT have an agent who negotiates compensation.
Either the lawyer and a person at ISU got the basic details sorted before the final handshake or I am a monkeys Uncle.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I finally got to watch the press conference and my biggest take away is the look on Matt's face when the topic of recruiting came up. I can not wait to see how his first couple classes come together. The enthusiasm for recruiting from him has me beyond excited for what the future may hold.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I finally got to watch the press conference and my biggest take away is the look on Matt's face when the topic of recruiting came up. I can not wait to see how his first couple classes come together. The enthusiasm for recruiting from him has me beyond excited for what the future may hold.

Completely agree, I was very impressed with his attitude and excitement towards recruiting. You can tell he will never ***** about recruiting challenges unlike CPR who tended to use it as a standby excuse when things didn't go well.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

I feel the same way. It is quite a shift for ISU to go from CPR and Fred, neither of whom really seemed to be at the top of the game as far as recruiting goes (and one of which at least who relatively openly disliked recruiting), to Prohm and Campbell who both appear to really enjoy that process and that challenge.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Completely agree, I was very impressed with his attitude and excitement towards recruiting. You can tell he will never ***** about recruiting challenges unlike CPR who tended to use it as a standby excuse when things didn't go well.

I feel the same way. It is quite a shift for ISU to go from CPR and Fred, neither of whom really seemed to be at the top of the game as far as recruiting goes (and one of which at least who relatively openly disliked recruiting), to Prohm and Campbell who both appear to really enjoy that process and that challenge.

Time will tell how it pans out for the two of them, but ISU is obviously not pulling big time recruits without effort. I like that coach Campbell, as well as coach Prohm, understand its importance at a place like Iowa State. We can't afford the misses that other programs can(Yes some are inevitable), so having the attitude they have towards it is really refreshing and exciting.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

About the only ******** he did was that we couldn't get parents up here easily and when you're fighting against the south that does make it tough. That really wasn't ********.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Campbell is very well spoken and highly intelligent. I have no doubt that he will evaluate our players and the other teams in our conference and come up with a great plan to make ISU a winner. When CPR was hired, I was a bit skeptical but he did some great things early on. With Coach Campbell, I'm on board immediately and I have no doubt that he is the guy that will take us to a whole new level of success. Pollard hit a home run with this hire.

Help Support Us

Become a patron