Iowa State would compete in Big Ten

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Iowa is far and away better this year. Not even debateable.

Better, yes, but far and away better, we'll see. Northwestern's qb looked awful and they may be circling the drain. Wisconsin is not nearly the team they were with Gordon and very mediocre this year. Nebraska is barely average, but I think they will give Iowa all they can handle and maybe a loss. Iowa certainly should win the west, but will you admit the division is just plain bad if there's another blowout in the conference championship?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Someone else in this thread posted incorrect Sagarin and Sagarin SOS numbers earlier. No idea where they got them but some current numbers.

rank/team/SOS rank

5 Ohio State (68)
13 Michigan (30)
19 Michigan State (57)
55 Penn State (74)
77 Indiana (63)
80 Rutgers (71)
81 Maryland (16)

14 Iowa (36)
21 Wisc (87)
40 Neb (35)
45 NW (20)
57 Illinois (49)
67 Minn (55)
105 Purdue (32)

2 Baylor (105)
3 TCU (52)
4 Oklahoma (31)
17 OK St (62)
28 WVU (14)
32 Texas Tech (50)
48 KSU (27)
54 Texas (1)
71 ISU (10)
125 Kansas (18)

Michigan State has been a big Sagarin outlier all season (jumped 20 spots with Michigan win) but out side of that these numbers illustrate the massive difference in conference schedules considering who Iowa draws from that much tougher East division and who they miss.

Looks like we would win more games in the BIG East.

ISUJointheMAC

Oct 12, 2015
I'm embarrassed for the state of Iowa for about half the people in this thread. I'm an Iowa fan, but I'm actually embarrassed for the ISU fan base for some of you people. Before I get into slapping you guys with a heavy dose of reality, I want to say that posters such as Clones_12 don't represent the ISU fan base. I know that. There are idiots in every fan base and I'm sure the majority of ISU fans wouldn't share his idiotic views or that of the OP. So here goes...

1.Iowa State is not losing because the Big-12 is tough. Besides, ISU had all those years in the Big-12 North and down years during the Big-8 and still didn't win.

2.Iowa State is losing because they just don't have talent. I never see former ISU players when I watch NFL games. And it's rare when an ISU player earns all-conference honors.

3.Iowa is not winning because they are in the Big-10.

4.Iowa is winning because they have talent. When I watch NFL games, I see a lot of former Hawkeyes.

5.Iowa State plays a more difficult schedule each than many P5 teams because they don't get to face ISU.

6.The Big-12 wasn't a tough conference last year and isn't this year. There are 3 teams in the Big-12 that are worth a damn (OU, TCU, Baylor).

7.The Big 10 has more quality teams than the Big-12 this year.

8.Iowa State's schedule is, overall, more difficult than Iowa's because Iowa doesn't play Michigan, MSU, or tOSU, and Iowa plays ISU instead of Iowa.

9.Despite playing an overall tougher schedule, ISU likely wouldn't win more than 1-2 more games with Iowa's schedule. So instead of 2-10, at best they go 4-8. Who cares?

10.The Iowa-ISU game was the second week of the season, with Iowa playing a road rivalry game. Judging the difference between those teams solely based on the final score of 1 individual game means you just don't understand football. ISU keeping it within 14 of what could be the Big-10 West champion doesn't mean ISU would beat other teams in the Big-10 West. It doesn't work that way.

11.ISU has maybe 3 players that would start at Iowa. The talent gap is wider than you would like to admit. Lazzard is probably the only player that will have a shot at the NFL from ISU. There are probably 10-11 players on Iowa's roster that will be playing on Sunday's. ISU played out of its mind the first 25 minutes of that game. They can't possibly play any better. Once the emotions of the rivalry game wore off, the better team completed dominated every facet of the game. Iowa was just too much for ISU to handle upfront on both sides of the football and has a far superior quarterback. That's all there is to it. ISU was very lucky to be in the game late. The final score was pretty close to the difference between Iowa and ISU, although I'd say it's probably more 17-20 points.

12.To argue that ISU is even remotely close to Iowa in terms of talent/coaching is just dumb. I mean, seriously, just stop with that nonsense.

13.ISU fans really need to stop piggy backing off the top teams in the Big-12. You really do. Iowa State isn't as good as Iowa because Baylor is good. Iowa State isn't as good as Iowa because they allegedly play in a tougher conference. Iowa is better than Iowa State because they are better.

14.Why are you so obsessed with your conference? It's really pathetic and you guys gotta get over this nonsense.

15.You overrate the strength of the Big-12. You rip Iowa's schedule but you claim Baylor and TCU are world beaters despite the fact that neither of those teams have played anyone with a pulse yet.

16.You guys are also way too obsessed with the Iowa-ISU game each year. You think the final score and outcome is the be all end all for how great each team is. It's not. It's just one game in a long season. A team proves how great it is over the course of an entire season. Upsets happen. Bad games happen. ISU is just a few plays away from being 1-12 in the last 13 years versus Iowa, BTW. Sometimes you get a little lucky. That's sports.

17.Your team is never going to win until they hire a coach that isn't from the state of Iowa. You need an outsider that doesn't give a rip about the Iowa-ISU rivalry and has ties to states that actually have quality high school football talent. The Iowa-ISU rivalry should be for the fans. You're never going to win until your coaches stop circling this football game and start recruiting players out of state that are worth a damn. This game simply means to much to Rhoads and McCarney, and I think it actually hurts the team overall because they come out flat most games the rest of the season, even against mediocre teams.

Iowa State needs a Kirk Ferentz. What I mean by that is they need a guy that isn't necessarily a sexy name, but can find the hidden gems, develop talent, and be willing to stick to his system year in and year out. I do believe ISU can win. But I also think the ISU fan's obsession with comparing their team to Iowa actually hurts the development of the program. I think Pollard hired Rhoads because he wanted an Iowa guy to appease to your fan base after Chizik debacle. The ISU program will never thrive until everyone associated with the program looks beyond Iowa. As soon as they do that and find a solid out-of-state coach, I do think with the new facilities, ISU can compete...in the Big-12.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
The fact that you feel the need to come to a Cyclone website to defend your teams pathetic excuse of a schedule screams insecurity. Just deal with the fact that your team could (and should) go undefeated and probably not get into the CFB playoff.

This is truly rich. Coming from the guy who started a thread about a rival and their conference when your dumpster fire of a program has won 7 games in 3 years. 7. 7 games. Title of thread should be Iowa State Would Compete In The Big 10 with Purdue and Rutgers for worst team in the conference. Holy shiat what a sad gathering of losers in this thread.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I'm embarrassed for the state of Iowa for about half the people in this thread. I'm an Iowa fan, but I'm actually embarrassed for the ISU fan base for some of you people. Before I get into slapping you guys with a heavy dose of reality, I want to say that posters such as Clones_12 don't represent the ISU fan base. I know that. There are idiots in every fan base and I'm sure the majority of ISU fans wouldn't share his idiotic views or that of the OP. So here goes...

1.Iowa State is not losing because the Big-12 is tough. Besides, ISU had all those years in the Big-12 North and down years during the Big-8 and still didn't win.

2.Iowa State is losing because they just don't have talent. I never see former ISU players when I watch NFL games. And it's rare when an ISU player earns all-conference honors.

4.Iowa is winning because they have talent. When I watch NFL games, I see a lot of former Hawkeyes.

5.Iowa State plays a more difficult schedule each than many P5 teams because they don't get to face ISU.

6.The Big-12 wasn't a tough conference last year and isn't this year. There are 3 teams in the Big-12 that are worth a damn (OU, TCU, Baylor).

8.Iowa State's schedule is, overall, more difficult than Iowa's because Iowa doesn't play Michigan, MSU, or tOSU, and Iowa plays ISU instead of Iowa.

9.Despite playing an overall tougher schedule, ISU likely wouldn't win more than 1-2 more games with Iowa's schedule. So instead of 2-10, at best they go 4-8. Who cares?

10.The Iowa-ISU game was the second week of the season, with Iowa playing a road rivalry game. Judging the difference between those teams solely based on the final score of 1 individual game means you just don't understand football. ISU keeping it within 14 of what could be the Big-10 West champion doesn't mean ISU would beat other teams in the Big-10 West. It doesn't work that way.

11.ISU has maybe 3 players that would start at Iowa. The talent gap is wider than you would like to admit. Lazzard is probably the only player that will have a shot at the NFL from ISU. There are probably 10-11 players on Iowa's roster that will be playing on Sunday's. ISU played out of its mind the first 25 minutes of that game. They can't possibly play any better. Once the emotions of the rivalry game wore off, the better team completed dominated every facet of the game. Iowa was just too much for ISU to handle upfront on both sides of the football and has a far superior quarterback. That's all there is to it. ISU was very lucky to be in the game late. The final score was pretty close to the difference between Iowa and ISU, although I'd say it's probably more 17-20 points.

12.To argue that ISU is even remotely close to Iowa in terms of talent/coaching is just dumb. I mean, seriously, just stop with that nonsense.

13.ISU fans really need to stop piggy backing off the top teams in the Big-12. You really do. Iowa State isn't as good as Iowa because Baylor is good. Iowa State isn't as good as Iowa because they allegedly play in a tougher conference. Iowa is better than Iowa State because they are better.

14.Why are you so obsessed with your conference? It's really pathetic and you guys gotta get over this nonsense.

15.You overrate the strength of the Big-12. You rip Iowa's schedule but you claim Baylor and TCU are world beaters despite the fact that neither of those teams have played anyone with a pulse yet.

16.You guys are also way too obsessed with the Iowa-ISU game each year. You think the final score and outcome is the be all end all for how great each team is. It's not. It's just one game in a long season. A team proves how great it is over the course of an entire season. Upsets happen. Bad games happen. ISU is just a few plays away from being 1-12 in the last 13 years versus Iowa, BTW. Sometimes you get a little lucky. That's sports.

17.Your team is never going to win until they hire a coach that isn't from the state of Iowa. You need an outsider that doesn't give a rip about the Iowa-ISU rivalry and has ties to states that actually have quality high school football talent. The Iowa-ISU rivalry should be for the fans. You're never going to win until your coaches stop circling this football game and start recruiting players out of state that are worth a damn. This game simply means to much to Rhoads and McCarney, and I think it actually hurts the team overall because they come out flat most games the rest of the season, even against mediocre teams.

Iowa State needs a Kirk Ferentz. What I mean by that is they need a guy that isn't necessarily a sexy name, but can find the hidden gems, develop talent, and be willing to stick to his system year in and year out. I do believe ISU can win. But I also think the ISU fan's obsession with comparing their team to Iowa actually hurts the development of the program. I think Pollard hired Rhoads because he wanted an Iowa guy to appease to your fan base after Chizik debacle. The ISU program will never thrive until everyone associated with the program looks beyond Iowa. As soon as they do that and find a solid out-of-state coach, I do think with the new facilities, ISU can compete...in the Big-12.

I liked your post because it's an impressive troll job. Keep it up, you are off to a good start.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

1. Don't use having to play ISU as a reason your schedule is weak..according to Sagarin using a 2.66pt home field advantage, we are your 6th most difficult opponent on the schedule! That makes us one of the more difficult games on your schedule.

2. Enjoy being undefeated...you can only beat the teams on your schedule, and I'd be thrilled if ISU was undefeated against any level of competition, but don't act like it wouldn't make a difference to your record and ranking if you actually had to play a more difficult schedule...(you have 1 current top 25 team on your ENTIRE schedule, and it's the 25th ranked team in the nation.

3. Sorry I upset you to the point where you felt you had to write an essay on here, but I used numbers and logic to support every argument I've made. You are on an Iowa State message board, sorry if we aren't bending over backwards to hype up your Hawks...

4. Good luck against Maryland, Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue, and Nebraska the rest of the way...

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Sorry Woodrow, the Germans have kept on fighting.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames

LOL. You really could have had something here, but the Hawk bias is too strong. Would play really well on HN. Maybe even go viral.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
This is truly rich. Coming from the guy who started a thread about a rival and their conference when your dumpster fire of a program has won 7 games in 3 years. 7. 7 games. Title of thread should be Iowa State Would Compete In The Big 10 with Purdue and Rutgers for worst team in the conference. Holy shiat what a sad gathering of losers in this thread.

I wouldn't put us down too much, after all we've beat the hawks 3 of the last 5 years and were very competitive again this year. All most of us are saying is that Iowa's record is very deceptive and much more a product of who they have played. After we beat the hawks last year all I heard from my hawk friends was how much the hawks had improved since the ISU game. Then Tennessee happened. The same thing is likely to happen in both the Big 10 championship and bowl game if Iowa gets in way over their head again based on their Big west record.

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
Div I - FBSIowa St beatNorthern Iowa31 - 7
Div I - FCSNorthern Iowa beatE Washington38 - 35
Div I - FCSE Washington beatIdaho St45 - 28
Div I - FCSIdaho St beatNorth Dakota37 - 31
Div I - FCSNorth Dakota beatPortland St19 - 17
Div I - FCSPortland St beatWashington St24 - 17
Div I - FBSWashington St beatOregon45 - 38
Div I - FBSOregon beatWashington26 - 20
Div I - FBSWashington beatUtah St31 - 17
Div I - FBSUtah St beatBoise St52 - 26
Div I - FBSBoise St is better thanOhio Stbecause Boise St beat Hawaii 55 - 0
while Ohio St only beat Hawaii 38 - 0
http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.c...nner=Iowa+St&loser=Ohio+St&year=2015&method=2

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
All I can say is despite Iowa's mediocre appearance, at least they have ended each of their games with more points than their opponent. More highly regarded Iowa teams in the past have peed down their legs against lesser competition. So I'll give them that. Now excuse me while I go wash my mouth out with battery acid.

Knight78

Dec 11, 2013
Watching this Iowa game, offensive futility is all I see. Good defense is just an illusion due to the Big 10 brand

Really? And Iowa State had how many yards against Iowa on the ground? (That would be 62) Iowa State is averaging 170.2 yards per game rushing. You're saying that Iowa State couldn't move the ball on the ground that one game is just an illusion?

Knight78

Dec 11, 2013
There is absolutely no way NW is the #20 team in the country. They are home and basically only in the game because Iowa's best player got hurt and their QB cannot run. Iowa I buy as #20ish ranked team.

There is simply no comparison between the Big Ten and Big 12. Michigan and Ohio State would do well in Big 12, Michigan State would do ok, maybe comparable to K State...the other 11 teams would all finish bottom half.

So by your logic, TCU would be below Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, and be comparable to Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. After all, in TCU's game this year against Minnesota they won by only 6 and Minnesota is 4-3 (2-1 in the Big 10).