Time to go the Snyder Route?

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Maybe it is time for ISU to lean a little more heavily on JUCO players. Snyder has proven beyond a doubt that it can work for a school like KSU that has absolutely nothing going for it football-wise. I don't think ISU is in a position to be overly selective about any options available that might lead to a winning tradition. I'm not picky about the players we have, so long as we stop this ******** of racking up 40-point losses every time our program has a glimmer of hope. Just win, baby.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
We could be Oklahoma and still be 0-3 in conference play if Jones turned the ball over as much as Jantz has.

CP44

Nov 27, 2006
They dont have more talent than us right now, just more discipline

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
I actually don'tthink right now we need to rely too much on JUCOs. Bring some in to shore up immediate needs, sure. But look at the depth chart and we have a very young team with the potential to be VERY good in a year or 2. This year sure isn't going like we hoped and planned after 3 games, but the talent level here right now is as high as it's been in a long time. The overall talent on the team is probably higher than in 2001-2002 when Seneca was here, and is as high or higher than any point since then, except 2005.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
We can win without Juco's. We need better player development and discipline plus a side of coaching stability to be successful.

Reactions: jsmith86

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
I actually don'tthink right now we need to rely too much on JUCOs. Bring some in to shore up immediate needs, sure. But look at the depth chart and we have a very young team with the potential to be VERY good in a year or 2. This year sure isn't going like we hoped and planned after 3 games, but the talent level here right now is as high as it's been in a long time. The overall talent on the team is probably higher than in 2001-2002 when Seneca was here, and is as high or higher than any point since then, except 2005.

There is just no way we can out-recruit even a majority of our conference opponents on a consistent basis for four-year players. Even if our talent level is higher than in previous years (which may or may not be the case), it's all relative. We are still far behind our fellow conference members.

Snyder figured this out early in his career and has made a number of gambles that have paid off. Our future looked bright compared to KSU just a few years ago, then Snyder comes back...and all of a sudden we're back to blowout losses while KSU is #11 in the BCS standings.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe it is time for ISU to lean a little more heavily on JUCO players. Snyder has proven beyond a doubt that it can work for a school like KSU that has absolutely nothing going for it football-wise. I don't think ISU is in a position to be overly selective about any options available that might lead to a winning tradition. I'm not picky about the players we have, so long as we stop this ******** of racking up 40-point losses every time our program has a glimmer of hope. Just win, baby.
Before Snyder for fifty years KissU averaged 2.5 wins a year. Before Snyder reitres, he may have more than half the school's victories. The guy is meticulous, punctual, basic, always planning. He is a college football brain that is not Mensa quality. Old school. Very old school.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
What we don't want to do is knee-jerk when we are 3-3 and we're picked to win one game all season long. The things that many want I State to do are just what Brewster did at Minnesota, and it doesn't work. You win by having a plan and sticking to it. CPR laid out a five years plan when he was hired, and has exceeded it so far.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I like the recruiting plan we have. We seem to be favoring speed over size. When you're Iowa State you unfortunately can't have both.

I would like to see us snag a JUCO offensive linemen for next year. Possibly a receiver and corner too. Otherwise we're OK.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Not all on Jantz. Defense has played like **** the past three weeks.

And they've been put in awful situations time and time again thanks to very poor QB play. As sloppy as this team has played its tough to even gauge the talent lvl really, I think we have better athletes than we've had around here in awhile but so far that hasn't translated into a better quality of football being played. Most of that is probably due to a lack of experience but even some of our vets haven't played too well either, which has just killed us.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think we should go the K-State route in other facets of the game. We simply aren't talented enough to win with the spread. The spread is great when it runs properly and you put up 50+ points per game. When we run it we aren't especially successful and wind up turning the ball over to the opposition in a matter of a few minutes. That puts too much strain on our defense.

I think the spread is great for college football but its not for everyone. Teams with inferior talent need to slow the game down and keep things close.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

It would be nice for you to put away your love for Jantz. Yes, we understand you have a man crush on him.

The Defense has played terrible but they've been on the field a ton lastely because of offensive turnovers too. While some is on Jantz, some is also on the O line. They are baged up, and not playing well either.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Go back and look at the number plays per possession we had against Mizzou and tell me the defense isn't just worn out by the second half. Then look and see where all of these turnovers for Jantz are happening. Sorry but until he can hold onto the ball and we can limit the three and outs, we will not win again.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Seems like we've tried to go the juco route at times in the past, and end up with a lot of them never seeing campus (or if they do, the field). I think you can fill in key needs there, but I'd much rather see the concentration be on high school kids, and develop them over time. Coach certainly hasn't had enough time to get that going just yet, but I think it's the right way to do it.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I agree. At ISU we will always need JC players. K-State is the program for us to emulate. Snyder is still, to this day, the best coach in the Big 12. I love their game plans and execution.

I think most years we will take around 5 Jucos, some years maybe more. Would love to see us land a JC DE, DT, CB, and S on defense this year. On offense, a couple JC OL would be great, and how about a TE? We are pretty weak at the position this year, and lose our starter.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
What we don't want to do is knee-jerk when we are 3-3 and we're picked to win one game all season long. The things that many want I State to do are just what Brewster did at Minnesota, and it doesn't work. You win by having a plan and sticking to it. CPR laid out a five years plan when he was hired, and has exceeded it so far.

+1

Or we could panic at the first sign of adversity and start calling everything into question. :jimlad:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I like the recruiting plan we have. We seem to be favoring speed over size. When you're Iowa State you unfortunately can't have both.

I would like to see us snag a JUCO offensive linemen for next year. Possibly a receiver and corner too. Otherwise we're OK.

DL? Until we actually have a legitimate pass rush, we need to look at any and all options to find one.