JUCO recruiting

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
It seems like for years everyone has said that teams shouldn't go to JUCO's to improve their program because it's going to affect continuity. Van Coleman is saying that right now on the Jon Miller show. Maybe in the past, this was true, but with players leaving after 1 and 2 years anyways, why not go after more JUCO's. I realize ISU doesn't recruit the 1 and done type caliber players, but maybe in some of our best years have resulted from having JUCO's. I'm not necessarily saying ISU should adopt this philosophy, I just think argument not to do it is old and outdated.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
In my opinion...

Van Coleman is a moron that knows a fraction of what he pretends to. He likes to think he's a god in the world of basketball but has nothing to suggest he has above average smarts.

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
In my opinion...

Van Coleman is a moron that knows a fraction of what he pretends to. He likes to think he's a god in the world of basketball but has nothing to suggest he has above average smarts.

I agree 100%. I've posted this before, but will post it again: Van Coleman is way past his expiration date. The guy has not been relevant for over a decade and he's hardly known by anyone outside of the state.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It seems like for years everyone has said that teams shouldn't go to JUCO's to improve their program because it's going to affect continuity. Van Coleman is saying that right now on the Jon Miller show. Maybe in the past, this was true, but with players leaving after 1 and 2 years anyways, why not go after more JUCO's. I realize ISU doesn't recruit the 1 and done type caliber players, but maybe in some of our best years have resulted from having JUCO's. I'm not necessarily saying ISU should adopt this philosophy, I just think argument not to do it is old and outdated.

1. ISU had most of it's success with JUCO's before the rise of prep schools.

2. I doubt it's the staff's intent for all of these guys to be leaving after a year or two when they recruited them.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
The right JUCOs can help to build a program. I have no problem going with JUCOs provided they address an immediate need and they are the right fit. I mean, look back at guys like Tinsley and Vroman.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I think the Jucos are a sign of Gmac feeling some pressure. His first class needed some jucos because the cupboard was so bare. The next year was all 4 year kids. I really think with his "system" he thought it would be best to get these kids on campus and have them learn over their career. The 2008 class only had 1 Juco, which is understandable, and then all high school kids. But now he sees that this plan isn't working, and he's going after more Juco kids this year. Hopefully it will work.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
In my opinion...

People are free to think what they want, but I have been at several AAU events, Nike Camp Events, Future Stars camps, with Van, and I have watched him work, seen how he arrives at his analysis.

The man works.

Now, in this day and age of youtube, people get a chance to see more kids play than prior to youtube.

But there is a reason that major college programs susbcribe to his recruiting service, and have for decades.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I've always been ok with jucos, but does that fall within the category of doing it the right way?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
1-2 Jucos, no problem... When it gets to 3, maybe 4... Then something is up...

I definitely wouldn't have a problem with 1 more JUCO/transfer, especially if it's a definite Brackins replacement or a well-needed shot in the arm for next season. But 3-4 starts turning into the "building the team on JUCOs".

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I definitely wouldn't have a problem with 1 more JUCO/transfer, especially if it's a definite Brackins replacement or a well-needed shot in the arm for next season. But 3-4 starts turning into the "building the team on JUCOs".

one more Juco will put as at three in this class...

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
People are free to think what they want, but I have been at several AAU events, Nike Camp Events, Future Stars camps, with Van, and I have watched him work, seen how he arrives at his analysis.

The man works.

Now, in this day and age of youtube, people get a chance to see more kids play than prior to youtube.

But there is a reason that major college programs susbcribe to his recruiting service, and have for decades.

I don't disagree that he works, I'm just saying it's a much different age when people don't need to necessarily do as much "at game" analysis. I would certainly expect every recruit to be seen in person to make an accurate analysis, but I don't think the kind of work he does it as relevant today.

Just my own personal opinion.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
With Van Coleman - dude needs to upgrade the look so his website. Pretty amateur.

A lot of JUCOS isn't good. JUCOs are typically 2 types of players: BCS talent guys that have question marks (academics, off the field stuff, etc), or guys that are just looking to play but are physically limited but a team doesn't have a lot of options (Bryan Peterson, Sean Haluska, etc).

Can the right JUCO fill a particular need and provide something right away? Sure. I can see "we need rebounding" you get a JUCO. "We need a slasher" you get a JUCO. Your hope is adding that piece is all it will take to get you to the next level.

But if you're building a team of them, then it's a problem. Because you aren't building for the future, and again many JUCOs have question marks.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Going the Juco route on some schollies is not a big deal. You need to do what you need to do to freakin win. I am not saying have a team full of them, but hell why not 2 a year. The right way?? what a ******** statement is what is going on now the right way?? I think not, bring in some damn Juco's to jump start your program. We are on life support right now and need a good jolt to the program to get off of life support, therefore everyone can stop bitchin all the time.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Looks like we can get more out of our two year jucos than our two year young transfers.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
scyclonekid- I was mainly being sarchastic in the "doing it the right way" reference since we keep hearing it so much, often to put down our prior coach or justify losing while we wait for the program to turn around. But I have no problem with building our program with jucos if that's what it takes to get us back into post season action. Maury John used juco's in the late 60's to make Drake a powerhouse. It's great when you can pick up a juco after his freshman year so you've got him for 3 years like Hubalek.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
You guys are misinterpreting what I am saying. I am not opposed to adding JUCOS. It's just when you add 3 or 4, it's an act of desperation