Pete Taylor

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
This came up randomly on my media player today at work.. and it got me thinking.

Unless I missed it (sorry if I did) I can't believe we let it pass that the anniversary of Pete's death was last week, March 5th.

Anyway.. hopefully this works. Enjoy. And thanks Pete.

Last edited:
Reactions: stvfarmboy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I play that at least once every tailgate. I was actually listening to it while running errands yesterday. I still get goosebumps throughout the wallace-fizer-seiler-billups string of calls. I remember listening to him call both "The Run" and "The Return", as I was unable to be around cable TV for either game...

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
I was really wondering why I was so looking for all my Pete Taylor stuff today...thanks for reminding me. Yes, got a bit teary eyed when I heard the Marv Seiler run vs. NU...boy does that bring back so many good memories!

A Legend never so be forgotten...

R.I.P Pete Taylor (THE CYCLONES' LOYAL SON)

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
I miss you Petey, things have not been the same since you left us.

Take good care of the boys we have sent up to be with you - Ennis, Stevie, and Barry especially.

Man, hearing that is tough because ISU reached such highs around that time.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
That made my day. I just listened to it at my desk at work and I was getting goosebumps and a little choked up. There was nobody better. I love the fact that he was offered so many other jobs at different colleges and some pro teams but he loved being a Cyclone.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I might have to run and lock my office door so nobody see's me all misty...thanks for posting that. I miss Pete.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Name the GD pressbox after him already JP. I realize you weren't here when Pete was, but he left as bigger or bigger impression on ISU sports as any athlete has.

cyeah

May 23, 2006
Houston, TX
Name the GD pressbox after him already JP. I realize you weren't here when Pete was, but he left as bigger or bigger impression on ISU sports as any athlete has.

While they are at it they could rename the road in front of Hilton Johnny Orr Way and put a big ol' fist pumping statue out there.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
While they are at it they could rename the road in front of Hilton Johnny Orr Way and put a big ol' fist pumping statue out there.

Actually...he just needs to be honored in some way. Whether it is the pressbox, a road, a statue..I really don't care, but we owe him something. If this drags on too long without honoring the man in some way I am gonna be mega PO'd.

He is literally the reason I grew up a HUGE Cyclone fan and I know that goes for many on this board.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Actually...he just needs to be honored in some way. Whether it is the pressbox, a road, a statue..I really don't care, but we owe him something. If this drags on too long without honoring the man in some way I am gonna be mega PO'd.

He is literally the reason I grew up a HUGE Cyclone fan and I know that goes for many on this board.

Johnny Orr Floor.

Frankly, I think it should be the Johnny Orr practice facility, but that naming right has probably already been sold.

Last edited:

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
This better happen by 10 year anniversary of his passing, or something like it. i get the feeling Pollard really doesn't care about those who were here before him.

Last edited:

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
This better happen by 10 year anniversary of his passing, or something like it. i get the feeling Pollard really don't care about those who were here before him.

I am a JP supporter, but this is one topic he does not get a pass on....something needs to be done to honor PT!

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Grew up sitting around the radio with my dad listening to Pete and Eric. Thanks for posting this, it brought back some great memories to an otherwise dismal winter........

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
Honestly...I think that if they want to honor those who best represented CYCLONE athletics is to just put up something similar to Mount Rushmore (like they were doing on ESPN with all the states) and have 'OUR CYCLONES' on there. I wouldn't limit this to just the busts of such, but much like Jack Trice who honors and welcomes anyone visiting the The Jack on gameday and beyond. I'd say put it somewhere between Hilton and The Jack so people can come from miles around to pay homage to 'OUR GREAT CYCLONES' Pete Taylor should be the first...IN MY OPINION!

Just a thought...anyone open for discussion on this?

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Honestly...I think that if they want to honor those who best represented CYCLONE athletics is to just put up something similar to Mount Rushmore (like they were doing on ESPN with all the states) and have 'OUR CYCLONES' on there. I wouldn't limit this to just the busts of such, but much like Jack Trice who honors and welcomes anyone visiting the The Jack on gameday and beyond. I'd say put it somewhere between Hilton and The Jack so people can come from miles around to pay homage to 'OUR GREAT CYCLONES' Pete Taylor should be the first...IN MY OPINION!

Just a thought...anyone open for discussion on this?
That's a good idea. Trice, Taylor, Orr, hmmm who else?