Pete Taylor

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
Cael Sanderson?
Clyde Williams?
Cy?
Dan Gable?

I would not limit this to just four individuals...History Past & Present should all be present. Of course, we should let the fans vote on whom would be honored there.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
someone should take the time to write JP and ask him if this idea has been approached...

'Pete Taylor Pressbox'

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Does anyone know if Jamie Pollard visits CycloneFanatic.com?

If not...he really should!

He's well aware of what happens here.

Edit: I should say there are people in the AD who are well aware of what happens here. Couldn't say what or how much gets to JP's ears. But I imagine a certain amount does.

Last edited:

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
So he does hear the 'voices of the fans'?!?

I think that the challenge is out Mr. Pollard. What are you going to do about it? The ball is in your court...:jimlad:

clone99

Sep 14, 2007
Iowa
I can't even put into words what Pete Taylor meant to me and cyclone sports. The two were one as far as I was concerned, from the time that I was old enough to ride in the corner of the combine cab or the tractor, Saturday afternoon listening to the cyclones .

It is hard to even type this, the tribute was awesome, I hadn't heard Pete's voice in a long time. He had the ability to keep me listening no matter how bad we were doing, and nobody got me as excited when we were doing well.

I listened to Pete call games for Duncan, Criner, Walden, McCarney, Orr, Floyd, Eustachy.

By the time I was old enough to actually run the equipment, the radio stations may have changed from what dad listened too most of the time, but on saturday afternoons the radio was tuned into Pete Taylor and the Cyclones.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I believe he has said there has to be a certain amount of time after someone passes til they can do this.

But I wholeheartedly agree, name the press box or something in his honor. That man was the best Cyclone of em all.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I believe he has said there has to be a certain amount of time after someone passes til they can do this.

But I wholeheartedly agree, name the press box or something in his honor. That man was the best Cyclone of em all.

To an extent I can understand that. But it's been 6 years. Regardless if there is some X years notion in place, I hope they do it soon enough so that his wife and children can rightfully enjoy it.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I feel bad for the new Cyclones in college and whatnot who never got to hear Pete. I love John, he was the right guy to replace Pete.......but Pete was one of the best.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I feel bad for the new Cyclones in college and whatnot who never got to hear Pete. I love John, he was the right guy to replace Pete.......but Pete was one of the best.

I somewhat envy them.

I think John does a solid job. But it sucks to follow the legend. And no matter how hard I may try, he's no Pete and the broadcast just don't seem as good.

If you didn't get a chance to listen to Pete, you don't know what you're missing. And you may be better off for it in a warped way.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Who was the voice of the Cyclones before Pete?

I really can not remember. It's Friday and my Brain is SHOT, but I can not remember. Someone help me.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I was really wondering why I was so looking for all my Pete Taylor stuff today...thanks for reminding me. Yes, got a bit teary eyed when I heard the Marv Seiler run vs. NU...boy does that bring back so many good memories!

A Legend never so be forgotten...

R.I.P Pete Taylor (THE CYCLONES' LOYAL SON)

the Billups punt return gets me everytime....."he might go, TOUCHDOWN Jamaine Billups!!"

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Who was the voice of the Cyclones before Pete?

I really can not remember. It's Friday and my Brain is SHOT, but I can not remember. Someone help me.

I thought it was a guy named Frank Snyder, who was the channel 5 sports director.

Chiclone8

Aug 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
Well done. Pete is the reason most people became and remained a Cyclone fan. He was the best ambassador for our program that you could have ever asked for.

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
I remember Pete Taylor because he is the first voice I ever heard call any CYCLONE games. Nothing against John...and I'm sure he will take no offense, but Pete to me was CYCLONE FOOTBALL! Of all the calls I have heard Pete Taylor on these here are very special, but it will never replace the 1976 Luther Blue 95 yard kickoff return for a touchdown vs. NU! I can still hear him calling as if it were yesterday...and if I remember it right with maybe a few mistakes here and there goes something like this:

Back for the CYCLONES is Luther Blue. Blue takes the kick at the five...right up the middle to the wedge...he veers to the right and is breaking free around the thirty...he's down the sideline...the thirty five...the forty...another miss...the fifty...the forty with one man to beat...the thirty...the twenty...he could take this one back...to the ten...the five...TOUCHDOWN IOWA STATE...Luther Blue takes the kickoff at the five and outraced the Nebraska coverage 95 yards for a touchdown...oh my goodness...'

Gave me shivers just typing that out...hope you enjoyed my 'tribute' to a legend...just imagine his voice there. I know you can!

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I'm sure John knows he's not Pete, and no one's really expecting him to be Pete.

At least we can tell John loves Iowa State just as much. Sucks to have to replace a legend, but to me there was no other choice to replace him.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
While we are on the subject of Pete Taylor, does anyone remember the article that an author named Steve Rushin wrote about him after his passing in Sports Illustrated? I cut it out of my issue and still have it to this day. It was an excellent read. I remember even a couple of Hawkeye fans writing letters to the editor commending it.