Big 12 to establish Big 12 Mexico

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Seems like a super long stretch, but as long as it comes out of the conference HQ budget and not the school's share, doesn't hurt anything.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Dumb. Conference games should be played on campuses.
Exactly. Not sure what Nebraska or Northwestern got out of their overseas trip last year other than a vacation destination for the very, very few fans that could afford such a trip. I doubt it increased NCAA viewership in that region outside of that single game, let alone long term.

I'd be really interested knowing how much increased viewership the NFL has had with their overseas games - meaning long term, not just watching those specific games. And I would think the NFL would have a huge advantage over the Big 12 in drawing any potential viewership increase.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Larry Scott failed rather spectacularly when he tried to expand the Pac-12 into the Pacific rim. Hopefully, the Big 12 is looking at what went wrong there and will avoid the same mistakes.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I like the bowl game and exhibition games against local teams. But to have a conference game in Mexico is stupid.

Reactions: CloneFanInKC

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Larry Scott failed rather spectacularly when he tried to expand the Pac-12 into the Pacific rim. Hopefully, the Big 12 is looking at what went wrong there and will avoid the same mistakes.
Personally I think the mistake was assuming that the increase in viewership would overcome the operational and marketing costs. Not sure what makes Iowa State at Cincy football all that attractive for Miguel in Mexico City to watch on tv.

• Winner
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I most definitely want only 4-5 home games some year in Ames so I can watch them play a gam in Mexican smog on TV. This ******* dumb.

• Winner
Reactions: clonedude

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I don't mind trying it once to see how it turns out. If you don't try, you never know what you can get out of it.

Reactions: NWICY

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Kind of an odd game to do this for. I get that it's two solid teams, but don't you want this matchup to be on campus?

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I most definitely want only 4-5 home games some year in Ames so I can watch them play a gam in Mexican smog on TV. This ******* dumb.
If that were what this is, you'd be free to complain. But if you read the article, you'd find out that the only regular season games in any sport mentioned are Kansas vs. Houston men's and women's basketball playing there in 2024.

If you're worried about losing home games in the long term, I guess that's fine. But if we get to the point that they're taking away a home game from every school every season, that probably means that it's been a success to that point.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron