Big 12 to establish Big 12 Mexico

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I like the thinking and Mexico has it's benefits but I'd like to also see games in places like Canada, Australia or Europe where there are tons of good young basketball players and more fans.

Reactions: VeloClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Exactly. Not sure what Nebraska or Northwestern got out of their overseas trip last year other than a vacation destination for the very, very few fans that could afford such a trip. I doubt it increased NCAA viewership in that region outside of that single game, let alone long term.

I'd be really interested knowing how much increased viewership the NFL has had with their overseas games - meaning long term, not just watching those specific games. And I would think the NFL would have a huge advantage over the Big 12 in drawing any potential viewership increase.
An isolated game, would seem to have minimal value. But an ongoing presence could benefit Big12.

The game in Dublin last year was sponsored by the tourism bureau- so I am guessing the bureau paid the Big10 a cut out of tourist spending, tickets, etc.

If the games bring in incremental revenue- that's a positive step. One idea doesn't move the needle, but what if Yormark can come up with 10 or 20 such ideas?

Just spitballing, what if there is an academic component:
  • Shared research between Mexican and Big12 schools.
  • Student Semester Exchanges
  • Recruitment of Mexican students to Big12 schools.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Larry Scott failed rather spectacularly when he tried to expand the Pac-12 into the Pacific rim. Hopefully, the Big 12 is looking at what went wrong there and will avoid the same mistakes.

Larry Scott failed at just about everything he tried to do in his tenure.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I like the thinking and Mexico has it's benefits but I'd like to also see games in places like Canada, Australia or Europe where there are tons of good young basketball players and more fans.
Toronto would make sooooooooo much sense.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Mexico is logical choice, especially if Big12 adds 4 corner schools. Games can be played without significantly more travel time/cost commitment.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Exactly. Not sure what Nebraska or Northwestern got out of their overseas trip last year other than a vacation destination for the very, very few fans that could afford such a trip. I doubt it increased NCAA viewership in that region outside of that single game, let alone long term.

I'd be really interested knowing how much increased viewership the NFL has had with their overseas games - meaning long term, not just watching those specific games. And I would think the NFL would have a huge advantage over the Big 12 in drawing any potential viewership increase.
In a small sample size of just me, this is my finding.

Last year, I got myself to watch a Sunday morning game from Europe. I enjoyed watching the game with a cup of coffee and would do it again.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Dumb. Conference games should be played on campuses.
I cant find back where I saw this but the Big 12 Mexico basketball games are supposed to be a non conference game. Much like how North Carolina and Wake Forest schedule each other in non con in football for years they dont play eachother on their ACC schedules

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If that were what this is, you'd be free to complain. But if you read the article, you'd find out that the only regular season games in any sport mentioned are Kansas vs. Houston men's and women's basketball playing there in 2024.

If you're worried about losing home games in the long term, I guess that's fine. But if we get to the point that they're taking away a home game from every school every season, that probably means that it's been a success to that point.
My bad.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Not sure how this works, but one thought maybe is by getting a foothold in Mexico, would we be able to sell our media rights to a linear Mexican TV channel?

Not sure if we retain media rights for international locations or how that works. I know on a vacation to Italy one year, I was able to watch OSU vs Michigan on an Italian channel.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I like it in that Yormark is actively working to build up Houston's branding in Texas and college athletics. I hope that pays off and Houston starts getting more followers and that similar initiatives can happen for other Big 12 programs.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If nothing else, Yormark is keeping the other conferences on edge. He is pursuing so many innovative things, they have no idea what he is really going to do or come up with next. I imagine that the more aggressive presidents of institutions in other conferences saying to each other, "Why didn't we get a commissioner like Yormark?"

Reactions: Big Daddy Kang

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Compared to the other Big 12 bowl venues (stadiums), this would probably be near the top of the list. ~53K seats.

MNTRYMXSOC_0363_JorgeToboada.jpg

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Kind of an odd game to do this for. I get that it's two solid teams, but don't you want this matchup to be on campus?

The men’s match up makes a lot of sense. KU a blue blood, Houston has been good recently and in Texas which obviously has a large Mexican population. If you’re trying to grow the brand for the big 12 and big 12 basketball, it’s only logical.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Yormark would run circles around Larry Scott. Larry basically killed the Pac
I hope you are right, but we really won't know that for a few years. For his first few years as Pac-12 commish, Scott was getting the same genius/pushing-the-envelope type accolades that Yormark is getting now. And then Scott's pushing-the-envelope marketing moves didn't pan out...and what what looked like innovation back then looks like stupidity now.