Big 12 to establish Big 12 Mexico

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I hadn't thought of that. A new bowl game in Mexico with Big 12 commitment. Cartel can sponsor it and have a $100 million payout . . . .

Attachments

• 1686253328633.png
    1686253328633.png
    238.1 KB · Views: 3

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Dumb. Conference games should be played on campuses.
One game every few years isn't going to kill us. Assuming they rotate it. And I'm guessing Iowa State is further down on the list to send to Mexico for a basketball game. The schools closer to the border would get sent down there before we would I'm guessing.

I'm just glad we aren't doing regular season football games. Basketball hurts less since we have more games.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016

How many are hok fans wanting to dunk on the Big 12.

It must be nice to just exist and get hella raises. The big 12 on the other hand has to try new and different stuff. Some of it might work some of it won't but they have to try.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I hope you are right, but we really won't know that for a few years. For his first few years as Pac-12 commish, Scott was getting the same genius/pushing-the-envelope type accolades that Yormark is getting now. And then Scott's pushing-the-envelope marketing moves didn't pan out...and what what looked like innovation back then looks like stupidity now.
Yormark is already better than Scott. That idiot put the hq of the conference in San Fran at an outrageous cost to the conference. I am a full beliver in Yormark. We finally have someone championing for the B12. We are in good hands. Bowlsby was fine but the other side would be Beebe which damn near killed us. God he was a moron.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I'm not sold this idea is a winner, but I understand the idea behind it and applaud the unconventional approach. As long as the B12 is located in smaller metro cities it will lag behind. Adding potentially millions of fans currently unattached has a ton of value. Given how popular NFL games have been in Mexico, it's not a stretch to see some become fans of B12 teams. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Reactions: Nor'easter

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
One game every few years isn't going to kill us. Assuming they rotate it. And I'm guessing Iowa State is further down on the list to send to Mexico for a basketball game. The schools closer to the border would get sent down there before we would I'm guessing.

I'm just glad we aren't doing regular season football games. Basketball hurts less since we have more games.
Imagine if one year they moved the ISU-Kansas game to Mexico instead of Hilton. I don't think anyone wants that.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yormark would run circles around Larry Scott. Larry basically killed the Pac
I think Larry Scott was terrible, but that’s been what the PAC apologists were all hiding behind. They thought the PAC was this awesome media product that just got a bad deal because Scott was an idiot. It turns out the PAC isn’t very valuable and their problems are way deeper than Larry Scott.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Not sure how this works, but one thought maybe is by getting a foothold in Mexico, would we be able to sell our media rights to a linear Mexican TV channel?

Not sure if we retain media rights for international locations or how that works. I know on a vacation to Italy one year, I was able to watch OSU vs Michigan on an Italian channel.
You are halfway there. Tv rights in a new market is 100% incremental money.

Second is developing an incremental new fanbase for big12 sports. Not just in Mexico, but among Mexican Americans. You have 10s of millions of people, many are bball fans, many are at least familiar w American football. Some have sent their kids to college, some even to big12 schools in the SW. Its basically an adjacent market to expand into, from a business perspective.

Will it work? Idk. It makes a ton more sense than the pacific rim, just on proximity. The B1G and SEC have a huge advantage in population base in there geographic footprint. Well heres a chance to add to that population for the big12. Its a long term play, but i think its absolutely worth a shot.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
You are halfway there. Tv rights in a new market is 100% incremental money.

Second is developing an incremental new fanbase for big12 sports. Not just in Mexico, but among Mexican Americans. You have 10s of millions of people, many are bball fans, many are at least familiar w American football. Some have sent their kids to college, some even to big12 schools in the SW. Its basically an adjacent market to expand into, from a business perspective.

Will it work? Idk. It makes a ton more sense than the pacific rim, just on proximity. The B1G and SEC have a huge advantage in population base in there geographic footprint. Well heres a chance to add to that population for the big12. Its a long term play, but i think its absolutely worth a shot.
I think the Mexicans in America is the real potential, showing them that the conference is investing in Mexico might move some of them to start paying attention to a team or two and gives Big 12 schools more exposure to those folks.
Might work, might not but certainly makes more sense than a pacific rim job, hadn't heard of that.

Reactions: CascadeClone

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
100 million+ people. Same time zones. Easy travel.

Get some corporations to sponsor an annual game and additional TV rights $ from Spanish networks that are additive to current contract. Could end up being moderately lucrative for the conference.

Nebraska trip to Ireland is a dumb comparison. It was a one off. This needs to be a conference commitment for ten years of an annual game. Punt after ten years if it doesn’t pay off.

Would cost ISU nothing more than one home game over ten years. Maybe none. Small price to pay for potential upside.

Yormark is a visionary.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
100 million+ people. Same time zones. Easy travel.

Get some corporations to sponsor an annual game and additional TV rights $ from Spanish networks that are additive to current contract. Could end up being moderately lucrative for the conference.

Nebraska trip to Ireland is a dumb comparison. It was a one off. This needs to be a conference commitment for ten years of an annual game. Punt after ten years if it doesn’t pay off.

Would cost ISU nothing more than one home game over ten years. Maybe none. Small price to pay for potential upside.

Yormark is a visionary.

Depends on conference size. Could be one home game every 12 years, or one home game every 16 years(if we continue to expand). And so on. Obviously would mean an away game in there as well, but that’s not as bad.

If they do it, do it right and fair for each school.

Reactions: RonBurgundy

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Football wouldn't be that bad. If it was one every year, that means you'd play down there 1 out of 6 years. That might be road or home game replacement, so losing a home game would be 1 out of 12 years. I'd prefer not to do that, but 1 game every 12 years is not a disaster.

1 basketball game, especially if it was officially a conference game, wouldn't be bad either.