Golf game... what to buy?

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Start by making 3000 3' putts.

Then make 3000 4' putts.

Then learn how to make a simple green-side chip shot end up 3'-4' from the hole.

At least 5 shots per 18.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Lessons from a pro. It's better than any equipment you can buy for pennies on the dollar. If you really want to just practice, learn how to bump and run the ball and stop the flop shots, they never work. Play old man golf.
Can’t endorse this enough. You aren’t going to fix bad mechanics on your own.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Shorten the height of your backswing and focus on the follow through / finish. If you are right handed you don’t really need to bend your left elbow at all until the finish. If you are taking a big back swing with a lot of bend in the left elbow it is harder to get the club back on plain.

Reactions: cymac2408

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
My game improved when I narrowed down my focus to just a couple swing thoughts. I had been watching too many videos, reading too many articles, and had a thousand random thoughts every time I went to swing.

Now I'm pretty much down to focusing on keeping my left arm straight, starting my rotation slowly, and making sure that I start turning with my shoulders instead of turning with my arms (those might be different for you, but just keep it simple).
My thoughts just before I swing are head down and swing easy. Also, I hope the beer cart comes by again soon.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I have all the best equipment and play 2-3 times a week but my game still sucks balls. What do I need to buy?
Instead of playing that 3rd time weekly go to a practice range and work exclusively on your short game. Hit a small bucket of balls, but don’t hit more than a 9 iron. After that putt and chip for a long while. I would recommend finding some putting and chipping drills to keep it from getting mindless and boring.

Otter Creek, Jester Park, Legacy all have really good practice ranges.

You could always play 9 afterwards.

Reactions: Statefan10

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
The only thing that has helped me is cut down on my backswing. I went from mid 90’s to mid 80’s in a year. I need to get better from 100 yards and in. Plus I still 3 putt a lot. Cutting down on my backswing has actually gave me more distance as I am hitting it flush now.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
I consistently shoot bogey golf at men’s league. 43-48 almost every round. Yesterday if I would’ve finished my first two holes, I would’ve been 20+ strokes at least on just the first two holes. Golf can be an incredibly stupid game.
My saying is, “stupid game for stupid people.”

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Lessons from a pro. It's better than any equipment you can buy for pennies on the dollar. If you really want to just practice, learn how to bump and run the ball and stop the flop shots, they never work. Play old man golf.

Smartest thing I ever did was leave my 56 and 60 wedges in the bag. Unless I need to get the ball in the air I stick with my pitching wedge.

Reactions: enisthemenace

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
2 things really changed my whole golf game. Went from shooting low 90’s to low 80s. After listening to pros like tiger woods talk and Rick shiels.

1. It’s not about aiming at pins, it’s about setting yourself up for angles and easier 2nd-3rd shots. Like aiming to putt uphill instead of aiming right at a flag and having a super fast downhill putt.

2. It’s not about making tons of birdies or eagles, it’s about keeping big numbers off your scorecard. Set yourself up to hit more greens in regulation, don’t go for the hero shots. Know your weaknesses, play the percentages like the pros do.

Reactions: Statefan10

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I'm finally this year playing to a point it's not a completely frustrating game. Here's my advice...

1) Lessons are key at least a little bit. I'm not one that does them a lot but when something is broke let a pro fix it. You can watch 1000 you tube videos on how to stop slicing the ball, but the reality is there are many things that can lead to a slice and having someone good watch you is the way to correct it the right way. Lessons are cheap. I struggled for almost a year with a frequent snap hook. Finally got a lesson and one small adjustment and it was gone in 5 minutes.

2) I recently got a lower end simulator set up in my garage (simulator isn't low end but I don't have a screen, Just hit into a net and watch on a laptop screen). Being able to hit some balls over the Iowa winter has helped a lot. Years past every spring was like picking up a club for the first time (bit exaggerated) before this.

3) The mental side is real. I'm not completely sure I'm swinging that much better or that it's really when I hit a bad drive I am better at shaking it off and hitting a good recovery shot rather than letting a bad drive turn into an 8 on the scorecard. When I quit caring as much about how I'm playing I play better.

4) If you are really interested in shaving down points there are apps etc that will help analyze your round and see where you need to focus to improve your score (spoiler alert it's probably hitting more greens and chipping). I've got a Garmin watch that is pretty awesome at tracking.

5) Likely take a bit off your swing. That was a huge help for me. Most likely the course you are playing on being about to drive 300 vs 250 doesn't mean nearly as much as not being behind a tree. Somewhat related is make sure grip and really everything else is relaxed when you swing.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Smartest thing I ever did was leave my 56 and 60 wedges in the bag. Unless I need to get the ball in the air I stick with my pitching wedge.

I don't even carry a 60, I use a 56 out of the sand and a 52 for most of my pitching. I just find it causes less errors. I have begun to start doing all of my bump and runs with my PW or AW. Just find having less loft gives me less mistakes. Seen a few strokes off my score in the last few weeks because of it.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38