Golf game... what to buy?

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I'd vote for a discreet caddy that knows when to make sure you ball accidentally "hits" a sprinkler head anytime you drive it off the fairway.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have actually switched to vaping. Relaxes me more and have slowed my swing down some. Remember, you drive for show & putt for dough.

Completely disagree for any handicap 10+. It all starts on the tee, literally and figuratively. The mental strain/frustration that not being able to find fairways or at least be close to the fairway puts on the mid and high handicapper creates a downward spiral that by the time you get to putting you’re already so far off of the game that you won’t putt well anyway.

Add in the types of greens that the majority of 10+ people play on weekly that are cratered out, only get mowed 4 times a week, only get rolled twice a week, with **** all over them, and get constantly played on and the putting becomes as much of a luck game as a skill game.

Driving, 100-50 yards in, chipping/fringe putting, 50-0 yards in, putting, short irons, long irons. That is my order of focus/practice.

Getting a consistent shot shape off the tee and getting to a 250 yd average off the tee will change a golf life more than cutting out 3 putts. Might not be the immediate stroke savings in the short term but over the long haul it will feed to your overall score.

Also course management is a big thing. The “old man” game is beneficial to all ages. Keep it below the hole, put it in spots that feed your strengths. Learning to take your medicine can be as beneficial as cutting down the 3 putts.

/rant

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
I was able to build a new home right before Covid and put in a full simulator. That's obviously helped with knowing truly how far I hit my irons, especially the wedges. Mostly it's helped with forcing me to practice chipping every day -on the course I'm still awful at GIR's but getting up and down 75% of the time helps cover up that weakness. Last night in league shot 2 over hitting 1/9 FIR's and 1/9 GIR's. Gonna have to figure out the driver eventually :)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't even carry a 60, I use a 56 out of the sand and a 52 for most of my pitching. I just find it causes less errors. I have begun to start doing all of my bump and runs with my PW or AW. Just find having less loft gives me less mistakes. Seen a few strokes off my score in the last few weeks because of it.

I can actually hit a nice pitch shot with my PW where I sort of pinch the ball which keeps it low with a lot of spin. I wish I would have taken the loft out of short game years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I was able to build a new home right before Covid and put in a full simulator. That's obviously helped with knowing truly how far I hit my irons, especially the wedges. Mostly it's helped with forcing me to practice chipping every day -on the course I'm still awful at GIR's but getting up and down 75% of the time helps cover up that weakness. Last night in league shot 2 over hitting 1/9 FIR's and 1/9 GIR's. Gonna have to figure out the driver eventually :)
I spent a long time driving with my 3 iron. Now I've switched to mostly driving with my rescue 3. Both are pretty consistent fairway finders that save me a lot of lost balls and bad lies. On the course I play, there's only 2 or 3 holes where pulling out the driver makes sense.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Quickest, easiest way to shave strokes is at the putting/chipping green. Take 30-60 minutes a couple times a week.

1. get your little wedge or whatever you like, and chip to the hole from 5-15 feet off the green. Get the ball to within 6 feet and give yourself a chance to get up and down more often. Use 3-5 balls and move around the green - different angles, distances, etc. Just get a feel for it, it's a touch shot and requires practice. Maybe 15-20 minutes of that, 20-30 chips.

2. putting. First from 3 foot distance, then from 10 foot, and then from 30 foot. Putt 5 sets of 3 balls from each distance. Try to make all the 3 footers of course. Initially, the 10 footers you just want to get close, but after a few sessions, you will start to hit some of them! The 30 foot putts, just try to get within the 3 foot radius. All through this, at every distance, focus on having the same consistent stroke with the blade, the same eye movements and aiming keys (you can google various options, but keep it simple) so the only variable is how far you pull the putter back.

When I started doing this over the lunch hour a while back (when I was playing more) I would say it easily took 3-5 shots per 9 holes off my game, from upper 40s to under 45. It won't help your full swing of course, but might give you the confidence to "just get close" to the green and not over stress those tee shots or approaches. It's also fantastic being the "short game guy" in a best ball format.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
18JHAURNGWHPTRNRXTRN

Has anybody used one of these things? Do they actually help?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
+2 while going 1/9 GIR is incredible. Nicely done.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I don't even carry a 60, I use a 56 out of the sand and a 52 for most of my pitching. I just find it causes less errors. I have begun to start doing all of my bump and runs with my PW or AW. Just find having less loft gives me less mistakes. Seen a few strokes off my score in the last few weeks because of it.

As a high handicapper I think this is pretty good advice. If you have enough green to take less loft and roll it at the hole then do it. I only hit my 60 when I absolutely have too.

I don't know many high handicappers, me included, that spend time at the range, but when I do spend an hour at the range it's always worth it.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’m not great at golf by any means but have been playing for like 25 years now. This little video I found a couple years ago changed everything for me around the green. It’s simple but I’ve never taken lessons and was never taught this. I had always lined the ball up somewhere between my feet with even weight distribution.

Reactions: jaj040

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I didn’t realize that many people cared about golf enough to take lessons. I love golfing and do it once maybe twice a week during the summers, but I’m not doing it for a living. Paying for lessons seems silly, but to each their own

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I have all the best equipment and play 2-3 times a week but my game still sucks balls. What do I need to buy?
Best equipment isn’t everything.
Get properly fitted for the clubs to you, or sign up for a ton of lessons.
Last option, give me your clubs.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Paying for lessons seems silly, but to each their own
If someone works in insurance, banking, or sales having a decent golf game is a huge plus. I've been invited to many outings with people that I never would have networked with if it didn't start on the golf course.