***2023 Tennis Thread***

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Wimbledon is the toughest to gauge because the surface changed from the traditional grass to the new blend a few years after the millennium. The AELTC wanted to get in on the long rallies because fans were gravitating to the baseline game. Federer is easily the best traditional grass player as his slice and variety off the slick surface was so lethal you couldn’t really attack him.

Aside from the first couple of rounds, the Wimbledon courts basically play like a hybrid clay/grass court and then by tournament end it’s basically a dirt court with more bounce.

I’ve played on the grass courts at the Tennis Hall of Fame (which is more of the current Wimbledon blend) and a grass court at a club in New York that is more of the traditional Wimbledon grass and the two courts were night and day different. I couldn’t do anything I normally could do on the one in New York since the bounce was so low and fast. Your time was taken away so you had to have a good net game and serve.
I've always wanted to play on grass very cool. Did you go to the event too? The stadium if you want to call it that looks very collegish. I know the HOF is the big event and not the actual tournament but I always laugh at those bleachers

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I've always wanted to play on grass very cool. Did you go to the event too? The stadium if you want to call it that looks very collegish. I know the HOF is the big event and not the actual tournament but I always laugh at those bleachers
They have some grass courts near Charles City. Trying to talk my boys into meeting there some time.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Us open doesn't have a Nadal though. I really think he made a mistake that year you reference in playing the Olympics. He needed rest and it was sandwiched in between Wimbledon and the US Open
I am just making an assumption that Nadal is done because of his injury, and even if he comes back that it would take him a long time to get to form, and that he would only be at like 75% at best. But yes, even at 75% he would present a great challenge to anyone at RG.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
They have some grass courts near Charles City. Trying to talk my boys into meeting there some time.
Yes that's right. Is there multiple or just the one? That guy went to Wimbledon and learned how to create and attend to a grass court. I've wondered how easily it'd be to get a court time

Reactions: isutrevman

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I agree with lots of your stuff, but not the last paragraph.

You can't really argue the fact that most of the titles Nadal/Novak won happened during the big 3 era, but most of the Roger's titles were prior to Nadal/Novak getting established? To me the level of competition increased a level when Nadal/Novak showed up, so that's why I put more weight on winning titles during that time. And this is before new crop of players came up. So now you could argue that any new slams that Novak wins will be on par with early Roger slams. Statistically, head to head, at their peaks or close to it, Nadal/Novak > Roger.

We talked about this before I think, and we'll keep continue to disagree ;)
Nope won’t give you that sorry. It’s an insult to players who play at this level. Nadal and Djokovic for five years now have had the same “weak era” as people say Federer had.

I know you are a Novak fan but you aren’t being objective imo. Even throughout Federer’s career when he was the man I always said Nadal was better than him because he dominated him, especially in the biggest moments.

When old as hell Roger is double match point at Wimbledon against a prime Djokovic you know the past several years have been just the same as Federer’s “weak era”. Give me prime Safin and Hewitt over Medvedev, Tsitsipas, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Nope won’t give you that sorry. It’s an insult to players who play at this level. Nadal and Djokovic for five years now have had the same “weak era” as people say Federer had.

I know you are a Novak fan but you aren’t being objective imo. Even throughout Federer’s career when he was the man I always said Nadal was better than him because he dominated him, especially in the biggest moments.

When old as hell Roger is double match point at Wimbledon against a prime Djokovic you know the past several years have been just the same as Federer’s “weak era”. Give me prime Safin and Hewitt over Medvedev, Tsitsipas, etc.
I don't think Djokovic has ever played Federer at Wimbledon when Federer was in his 20s. 2012 he may of been 29 without looking but Federer of course also won that one. Yes of course Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal have been great for so long but I truly believe Federer was out of his peak in 2011. His best year statistically was 2007. It rivals Djokovic 2011 great season. Point being is Federer was long removed from 2007 when Djokovic started beating him particularly at Wimbledon. Believe his first over Roger at Wimbledon was 2014. I like your passion Legi but I don't think that's a fair conclusion to give Djokovic "best grass court player" simply because hes 3-1 vs Federer though he does have an argument

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
My wife and I happened to be in the Palm Spring, CA area for a spring break trip. Unbeknownst to me, Indian Wells was just 20 minutes from where we were saying. So, I bought tickets for Wednesday night and saw Sakkari beat Kvitova and the Sock/Isner vs. Fognini/Belleli doubles match. Then Alcaraz got scheduled to play Thursday night and I couldn't resist and forked over the money to see his match vs. Auger-Aliassime in the Quarterfinals.

Holy **** what a cool experience. I'd never been to a pro tennis match before and it blew me away. Just and incredible tennis complex, stadium and scenery with the mountains surrounding the Coachella Valley. TV does not do it justice how hard those guys hit the ball. Alcaraz's power is insane to see in person, even from our upper deck seats.

We decided it would be worth making the trip back there at some point just to watch the tennis. We had a 16month year old daughter with us so we only attended night matches (let the in-laws put her to bed), but if I do it again, we're definitely getting grounds passes so we can walk around to different matches all day.

One lesson learned, seats with a baseline view are much better than seats at mid-court. There is a reason they show the game from that angle on TV. We tried both.

If anyone has a chance to go to Indian Well, you wont regret it. Ticket prices aren't bad. The expensive part is getting there, finding a place to stay and the food/drinks inside the tennis grounds and stadiums.

Watched Alcaraz completely dismantle Medvedev to win the title last night on TV last night (I'm not rich enough to afford tickets to the finals). The tennis world has been wondering when the next "great" player would come along. I think he is here. If he stays healthy, the sky is the limit for that guy.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
If you want to watch something different Agassi, McEnroe, Roddick, & Chang are playing Pickleball against each other now on ESPN.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Reactions: cyfanatic

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Nadal out of this years French Open and says 2024 will likely be his last season playing.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Nadal out of this years French Open and says 2024 will likely be his last season playing.

No mystery that the end is near...but it still hits hard to hear this as we have had the "big 3" dominate for so long! Won't be long until all 3 kicking back and relaxing...

Reactions: isutrevman

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City

Man, that's a bummer. The rest of the field loves it though... because he is the KING on Clay.