***2023 Tennis Thread***

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
GDMTA is great for getting match play against a wider variety of competition. If you prefer hitting, try out the Grip N Rip at Genesis. It's a bunch of adults, and the group you with same level folks. You can also hit against some of the pro's.
Thank you. Is it pretty easy to schedule/find a match with GDMTA?

Have you ever played on the bubble court at genesis? I played a match there and I didn't feel right for a week. I don't know why it's just hardcourts after all

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
His hamstring can be at 50% and it will look fine to everyone considering the average-at-best level of players he is going against. Let's see if Paul and Tsitsipas/Khachanov can make it interesting at least.

It's super disappointing that nobody from the younger generation can take over on any consistent basis, even though they are going against grandpas Novak, Nadal, and Federer (while he was still playing). It seems as the only way these young guys will be able to "step-up" is when the big 3 is fully retired due to age or injuries.

This is probably worded a bit too harsh but oh well..
I thought the Big 3 would be done winning championships 5-6 years ago. Djokovic looked done in 2017 and felt Federer/Nadal resurgence that year was going to be the last of it. I'm kind of done expecting it especially the way Djokovic takes care of his body

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Thank you. Is it pretty easy to schedule/find a match with GDMTA?

Have you ever played on the bubble court at genesis? I played a match there and I didn't feel right for a week. I don't know why it's just hardcourts after all
It's been awhile since I played GDMTA, but it was easy in the past.

Not sure on the bubble courts other than some the lights need fixed, but I can neither confirm nor deny that I may coach some of their junior high performance clinics.

Regarding GNR, they usually spread the group out across one of the main banks of courts and the bubble courts. Pretty cheap to try once to see if you like it. Just contact Coach Mark Blume, and he'll get you the schedule / details.

• Informative
Reactions: GoHawks

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
You don't think Tsitsipas will push him? I think yes it's probably a foregone conclusion Djokovic is the champion but I expect a reasonably good final If it's those 2. He seems to always give Djokovic a battle. A Khachanov and Djokovic final would be awful
I hope I am wrong, but Djokovic owns this tournament and after not being able to play last year he’s making a statement.

Does Tsitsipas have the goods to do it? Sure. But he’s going to have to play at a level that is so good for so long I don’t see him doing it. I will maybe give him a set against Novak and that may be generous. Against hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I was really hoping one of the Americans could fall into winning this thing. I felt kind of sad listening to Caroline Wozniaki talk about how great it was these American men got to go to college and improve their tennis and that wasn’t even really an option for her.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
This could be a Nole calendar slam type year. French will be his biggest challenge.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
This could be a Nole calendar slam type year. French will be his biggest challenge.
To me the US Open is the biggest challenge just because by that time the pressure is the greatest if he is going for the calendar slam. He probably still has nightmares from what Medvedev did to him last time he was in a position to get a calendar slam.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I'm probably in the minority but this is how I will probably look at it when it is all said and done with their careers.

This is based on when they were at their peak performance:

Best Clay Court Player: Nadal (DUH)
Best Grass Court: Federer (with Sampras a close 2nd)
Best All-Surface Player: Djokovic

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
I'm probably in the minority but this is how I will probably look at it when it is all said and done with their careers.

This is based on when they were at their peak performance:

Best Clay Court Player: Nadal (DUH)
Best Grass Court: Federer (with Sampras a close 2nd)
Best All-Surface Player: Djokovic
I am a Novak fan so I am biased, but with 7 Wimbledon titles (I think 3 of those were wins against Roger in the final), it’s hard not to put him on the same level as Roger when it comes to grass court at this time.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I am a Novak fan so I am biased, but with 7 Wimbledon titles (I think 3 of those were wins against Roger in the final), it’s hard not to put him on the same level as Roger when it comes to grass court at this time.
Yeah, you can certainly think that. I just think Peak Roger at Wimbledon was the best I've seen on that surface.

Reactions: isutrevman and legi

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Novak is the GOAT and there’s no debate. This coming from a Fed fan and not a Djokovic guy at all (his game is too robotic for me).

Federer is the most gifted and most fun player to watch when playing at his peak.

Nadal is the GOAT on clay and the fiercest competitor I may have ever seen next to Michael Jordan.

But Djokovic has the best technique from both wings, the best return game and best all-court game.

The one thing I will never accept no matter who it’s against is any BS about “weak eras” and such. People used to knock Federer for getting so many of his slams in a “weak era” but you never hear anything about the last few years of slams for Nadal or Djokovic. This current crop is no different (and I would argue worse than Federer’s early years). But I don’t but into that for either end. You play who you play and I happen to prescribe to those Big 3 being so damn good that’s why others don’t appear to be as good.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Wimbledon is the toughest to gauge because the surface changed from the traditional grass to the new blend a few years after the millennium. The AELTC wanted to get in on the long rallies because fans were gravitating to the baseline game. Federer is easily the best traditional grass player as his slice and variety off the slick surface was so lethal you couldn’t really attack him.

Aside from the first couple of rounds, the Wimbledon courts basically play like a hybrid clay/grass court and then by tournament end it’s basically a dirt court with more bounce.

I’ve played on the grass courts at the Tennis Hall of Fame (which is more of the current Wimbledon blend) and a grass court at a club in New York that is more of the traditional Wimbledon grass and the two courts were night and day different. I couldn’t do anything I normally could do on the one in New York since the bounce was so low and fast. Your time was taken away so you had to have a good net game and serve.

Reactions: isutrevman and legi

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Novak is the GOAT and there’s no debate. This coming from a Fed fan and not a Djokovic guy at all (his game is too robotic for me).

Federer is the most gifted and most fun player to watch when playing at his peak.

Nadal is the GOAT on clay and the fiercest competitor I may have ever seen next to Michael Jordan.

But Djokovic has the best technique from both wings, the best return game and best all-court game.

The one thing I will never accept no matter who it’s against is any BS about “weak eras” and such. People used to knock Federer for getting so many of his slams in a “weak era” but you never hear anything about the last few years of slams for Nadal or Djokovic. This current crop is no different (and I would argue worse than Federer’s early years). But I don’t but into that for either end. You play who you play and I happen to prescribe to those Big 3 being so damn good that’s why others don’t appear to be as good.
I agree with lots of your stuff, but not the last paragraph.

You can't really argue the fact that most of the titles Nadal/Novak won happened during the big 3 era, but most of the Roger's titles were prior to Nadal/Novak getting established? To me the level of competition increased a level when Nadal/Novak showed up, so that's why I put more weight on winning titles during that time. And this is before new crop of players came up. So now you could argue that any new slams that Novak wins will be on par with early Roger slams. Statistically, head to head, at their peaks or close to it, Nadal/Novak > Roger.

We talked about this before I think, and we'll keep continue to disagree ;)

Reactions: isutrevman

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
To me the US Open is the biggest challenge just because by that time the pressure is the greatest if he is going for the calendar slam. He probably still has nightmares from what Medvedev did to him last time he was in a position to get a calendar slam.
Us open doesn't have a Nadal though. I really think he made a mistake that year you reference in playing the Olympics. He needed rest and it was sandwiched in between Wimbledon and the US Open

Last edited:
Reactions: legi