SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Three schollies will probably go to:
Keshon Gilbert from UNLV
Jackson Paveletzke from Wofford
Curtis Jones from Buffalo
You take the best available/fit but it's interesting that we added guys that will be sophomores (2) and a junior (1)

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
You take the best available/fit but it's interesting that we added guys that will be sophomores (2) and a junior (1)
It does seem like an intentional change in direction for TJ from the focus on one year, very experienced, players the last two transfer portals.

I think you can look at those three as fairly direct replacements for Holmes, Grill and Gabe.

Holmes - Gilbert — combo guard who can create and play point in a pinch

Grill - Pav — shooters

Gabe - Young — SG who can score and defend.

Not saying the skill levels are equivalent, but the roles do seem to align.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It does seem like an intentional change in direction for TJ from the focus on one year, very experienced, players the last two transfer portals.

I think you can look at those three as fairly direct replacements for Holmes, Grill and Gabe.

Holmes - Gilbert — combo guard who can create and play point in a pinch

Grill - Pav — shooters

Gabe - Young — SG who can score and defend.

Not saying the skill levels are equivalent, but the roles do seem to align.
Young?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It’s wild how many people think it’s still the 90’s and we need a true Center. Shaq, Howard, and Embid don’t grow on trees.

If we land one, fanfreakingtastic. But it’s better to put talent on the floor than just a guy because he’s tall then complain he’s not good.

Edit:
Who would you rather start, Percy Gibson(or was it Edozie?) or Niang?

Even Embiid isn’t a “true center”.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Is hand wringing over size going to be the constant over the next six months? The front court runs
6'10", 6'9", 6'8", 6'8" and 6'7", that's not bad.

Concern over a talented but inexperienced backcourt in comparison to recent years I can maybe see, but size just feels like a reach.

It would be nice to have a another 6'10" rim runner, but those guys all seem to have elbows that are way to pointy. Not sure I want...

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Really hurt Kansas' chances in the Big 12 this year having a 6'7" center... Texas was really bad in the postseason having no players over 6'9"...

Agreed. KU had some injuries with back-up big men in Udeh (6-11) and Ejifor (6-9) the 2nd half of the season. I don't think those two 'fully' returned to the rotation which really hurt KU's bench.

Reactions: Cyin88

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
There’s not a ton of good 6’11” guys out there you have to guard. Like not even every few games. Most of them, a quicker more athletic 6’7” forward can score more on.
It's not guarding big guys that worries me, it's holding up on the glass. Offensive rebounds are as good as turnovers, arguably worse because they usually lead to a good shot.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's not guarding big guys that worries me, it's holding up on the glass. Offensive rebounds are as good as turnovers, arguably worse because they usually lead to a good shot.
I'm actually not too worried about our rebounding under TJ and KG. I think with the guys we've had the last two years it's less about size and more about effort and the will to want the ball. Having long and athletic guards/wings who want to rebound down, while our bigs like Robert/Ward/King take out their 5 man is a good recipe.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Really hurt Kansas' chances in the Big 12 this year having a 6'7" center... Texas was really bad in the postseason having no players over 6'9"...
Having small posts doesn't hurt you until it does. Texas was fortunate in it's NCAA run that Nunge was the only traditional post they faced in games against: PSU, Colgate, Xavier and Miami

So when a coach is building a team to take a deep NCAA Tournament run, having a couple solid bigs can help win the match-up battle. UConn was able to take advantage of two really solid traditional posts in Sonogo and Klingan plus a physical stretch PF in Caraban. We saw a talented small-ball Miami roster struggle against UConn's interior height and physicality.

I feel a big reason for Steve Prohm's lack of success, even when ISU was talented his first couple years, he could only win ONE way. We had to make a high % of jump shots to outscore people. We weren't going to play better defense, out rebound, out physical or even out execute teams in the half court.

Whereas, TJ gets how to build a roster. We will definitely have a preferred style, but we will be able to match-up to our opponents or create mismatches. And if we continue to play a trapping style half court defense, having a couple rim protectors is critical.

Reactions: hoosman and NENick

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Uconns starting center was 6'9.

I know they had the 7' ft off the bench but he only averaged 13 mins a game

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron