Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2023

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
IM still shocked we are not going after a big. They must be expecting Omaha and Momcilovich to help out with Jones and Ward.
Its been stated that J.Williams hasnt even been cleared yet. We don't know how he'll bounce back from that serious achilles injury. Plus we lost Gabe, Grill, and Holmes. Yes we need guards. I'm not shocked that we arent getting a big.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Since my creepy Instagram sleuthing was correct about Paveletzke here comes another BREAKING NEWS...

BRE just started following Curtis Jones, transfer from Buffalo
so its Jones and not the New Hampshiire kid?

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
Sanogo(SP) was a monster inside in both the SDSU and Miami games for UCONN. Like Ward, he's playing on a VISA. He's listed at 6'-9.

Edit: SDSU had a couple of 6'10 guys, they were no match for Sandogo, they needed to go to a faster guy. Think Miami had a 7'1 guy, but no match for Sanogo.

Last edited:

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
IM still shocked we are not going after a big. They must be expecting Omaha and Momcilovich to help out with Jones and Ward.
Maybe it's more of a long view and where we'll get the most bang for the buck. We're probably priced out of an really impactful big men so use the funds on a good a back court with multiple years. Then after next season go transfer market and concentrate the collective on a big. We do get the Rock then so help is coming.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It’s wild how many people think it’s still the 90’s and we need a true Center. Shaq, Howard, and Embid don’t grow on trees.

If we land one, fanfreakingtastic. But it’s better to put talent on the floor than just a guy because he’s tall then complain he’s not good.

Edit:
Who would you rather start, Percy Gibson(or was it Edozie?) or Niang?

Westside clone

Apr 5, 2022
In regards to the center being tall, everyone realizes that like 98% of the 14 team's time had 6-7 Niang and 6-6 Ejim at the 5.

As @Gunnerclone said this is nothing new.
Has anybody notice the player of the year was not a guard. I understand small ball but if you 6'7" and guarding 6'11" there are so drawbacks. On offense maybe you can beat them outside but if your a guard and your man gets past you it is nice to have a shot blocker/changer at at rim. All that said, you still have to do the best with what you have, adapt!

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Has anybody notice the player of the year was not a guard. I understand small ball but if you 6'7" and guarding 6'11" there are so drawbacks. On offense maybe you can beat them outside but if your a guard and your man gets past you it is nice to have a shot blocker/changer at at rim. All that said, you still have to do the best with what you have, adapt!
You aren't wrong, and I think pretty much everyone would agree you'd rather have a legit big than not have one.

But I'd also say I think it's a bit overrated? Purdue has been THE school for traditional bigs of late and they're perennial L-takers in the tourney because college basketball is a guard's game.

After having a season where guard depth came back to bite ISU, I'd rather have to go small from time-to-time than just not have more than one solid ball-handler again.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
There’s not a ton of good 6’11” guys out there you have to guard. Like not even every few games. Most of them, a quicker more athletic 6’7” forward can score more on.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
247 rates both Gilbert and Paveletzke as 4 Star transfers with a .9100 rating. From the ISU Transfer Portal page. I think they have different skill sets that makes each of them in their own way a valuable addition to the team. It's hard not to allow yourself to think we may be quite a bit better next year. :cool:

Reactions: cyclonekrazie

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
247 rates both Gilbert and Paveletzke as 4 Star transfers with a .9100 rating. From the ISU Transfer Portal page. I think they have different skill sets that makes each of them in their own way a valuable addition to the team. It's hard not to allow yourself to think we may be quite a bit better next year. :cool:
I'm not gonna say outright better, almost entirely because it's hard to guarantee THAT good of a defense again and it's looking like quite a bit younger of a team.

BUT I do think that the ceiling is raised with the additions coming, and the overall talent and (especially) offensive skill is raised too. I'm knocking on wood but I have a hard time seeing the roster (+ one more transfer probably) put up just 41 in a game. At the very least, I think the game-to-game offensive floor gets raised for sure.