What do you think of Caitlin Clark?

What is your perspective about Caitlin Clark?

• Team Steph. I am at least somewhat supportive of her because she is so good for women's sports.

Votes: 128 33.7%
  • Team Alisa. I don't care about Caitlin Clark because she is a Hokeye.

Votes: 232 61.1%
  • Team Steph/Alisa. Please explain how you reconcile these two apparently mutually exclusive options.

Votes: 20 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
So, where is Gary Barta at during all of this? Getting his teeth fixed? Getting his retirement plans in order? Preparing to lose another lawsuit?

Kinda funny through all the success of the Iowa women’s team and I have yet to even hear his named mentioned in any type of media. Hmmmm……

He was there. They showed some clips of him

• Winner
Reactions: Nihawk

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Exactly Cycsk. She was involved in 75% of the team scoring last night. That is insane. And she basically does this night in and night out. Plus rebounds at a decent clip. The only criticism anyone can really have about her play is she takes some strange risks at times passing that leads to some high turnover numbers. But if you watch a team like Golden State for instance that has a high powered offense...so do they.
Exactly. They play a fast enough pace where they can absorb some extra turnovers plus the women's game has a higher turnover rate than the men's game anyway.

Reactions: tavrncy

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
South Carolina's best offense was their missed jump shots because of their prowess with offensive rebounding. No one stat tells the whole story, except 77-73.
What won the game for Iowa, I think, were these two late fourth-quarter plays:

- Iowa lofted up a long shot (might have been a three, might have even been Clark, I don’t remember) up two points. Clanged off the rim, but Iowa grabbed the rebound and ended up extending the lead to four.

- with under 10 seconds left down four South Carolina put up a three pointer that missed, but Iowa fought for the rebound and it ended up going out of bounds off SC.

Despite getting absolutely owned on the glass all night long, Iowa was able to get those two critical rebound opportunities to go their way in crunch time. That was the ball game, IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Pizzapitter

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Wondering if she’s better off staying in college at this point with NIL as WNBA does pay well (do they?)?
She has nothing else to prove in college plus you have the risk of a major injury your final year go pro the $is there

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I’m not going to lie to you, the game plan that the iowa coaching staff came up with and executed in that game was absolutely beautiful. Defense they packed it in and made them take jump shots. Offense they ran really nice ISOs and Pick and rolls for Clark with shooters placed perfectly to spread the floor.
Staley got embarrassed. Bluder just ran circles around her.

All South Carolina had to do with the girl that wasn't being guarded was have her drive to 12 feet and get the ball on the rim to let their height board and put back until it went it and she just froze.

When you're entire offensive strategy is 'we're taller and stronger than you are', it's really easy to get exposed.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Uh, you may want to geo back and check that score.
Right, but the point is still the same — the fanbases get jacked up for football and MBB. I think most ISU fans will never root for the Hawks in those 2 sports but will root for their WBB team or don’t care what they do.

• Disagree
Reactions: NWICY

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
She has nothing else to prove in college plus you have the risk of a major injury your final year go pro the $is there

Isn’t the highest salary in the WNBA something like $225,000? I would think Iowa and NIL could (and probably should with all the hype they get around Clark), easily match that.

Reactions: tavrncy

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
I’m not going to lie to you, the game plan that the iowa coaching staff came up with and executed in that game was absolutely beautiful. Defense they packed it in and made them take jump shots. Offense they ran really nice ISOs and Pick and rolls for Clark with shooters placed perfectly to spread the floor.

Bluder really coached circles around Staley. From what I've seen in the tournament most of the SEC teams are worse versions of SC, who play two true bigs and don't have a ton of shooting. Iowa being able to play someone like Warnock as basically their four and pull one of those bigs away from the hoop really took a lot of the teeth out of their defense. Iowa wasn't even shooting well from outside but still just spammed spread pick and roll and was getting to the hoop at will, either Clark taking it herself or dropping off to a wide open big.

Was also really impressed with how Clark was able to get pretty much wherever she wanted. I knew she was quick and had a great first step but didn't realize it would still be so noticable against a team as athletic as South Carolina. None of them could stay in front of her.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
They beat the #1 team in the country. No other team could have beaten South Carolina with one player jacking up 31 shots. Clark is much more than a volume shooter.
This is true. She takes 30 shots a game because frankly why shouldn't she? She's the most qualified person on the team to do it.

There is a blueprint to beating this team. Stop Clark and Czinano. Even stopping just one of them would beat them most nights. Teams are struggling to do that right now

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Staley got embarrassed. Bluder just ran circles around her.

All South Carolina had to do with the girl that wasn't being guarded was have her drive to 12 feet and get the ball on the rim to let their height board and put back until it went it and she just froze.

When you're entire offensive strategy is 'we're taller and stronger than you are', it's really easy to get exposed.
I honestly thought their defense was more embarrassing. Going straight up against Clark and Czinano was so dumb. They were the only ones doing anything. Everyone else should have been helping on them and then make the role players hit shots

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
yeah it sucks she plays for the Hoks but you are in serious denial if you think her game is just about taking a bunch of shots.Iowa women's basketball is way way more popular than Iowa mens basketball. Its pretty remarkable if you think about it.
I hate all things hok but I love sports and Caitlyn is a special talent. Bluder should be fired if she Clark ever takes < 20 shots in a game. Wish she played for a different team but I will have no problem rooting for her against Mulkey. She absolutely carved the top defensive team in the country, you could see the look in South Carolina's eyes- 'WTF are we supposed to do'

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I’m seeing on Twitter that Staley is suggesting racist comments? Wtf?
I just saw she turned the attention to that about the media. You had the most talented team in the country and you got out coached in the final four because of your arrogance and you focus on something perceived.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I hate all things hok but I love sports and Caitlyn is a special talent. Bluder should be fired if she Clark ever takes < 20 shots in a game. Wish she played for a different team but I will have no problem rooting for her against Mulkey. She absolutely carved the top defensive team in the country, you could see the look in South Carolina's eyes- 'WTF are we supposed to do'
That's the thing, though. WTF did they even try to do? Do you really believe that they couldn't have taken better steps to defend her?

Adjustments were few and far between and largely ineffectual.

Caitlin is an amazing talent, but it isn't as if a top defensive team had no chance to contain her. It looked to me as if the Cocks were accustomed to winning simply because they have more length, athleticism, and brute strength than other teams.

Hats off to Frau Bluder. From a coaching stand point she absolutely kicked Staley's ass. She had good defensive schemes, like junking it up with the Triangle and Two. She had great offensive sets that SC never really did effectively adjust to.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
What won the game for Iowa, I think, were these two late fourth-quarter plays:

- Iowa lofted up a long shot (might have been a three, might have even been Clark, I don’t remember) up two points. Clanged off the rim, but Iowa grabbed the rebound and ended up extending the lead to four.

- with under 10 seconds left down four South Carolina put up a three pointer that missed, but Iowa fought for the rebound and it ended up going out of bounds off SC.

Despite getting absolutely owned on the glass all night long, Iowa was able to get those two critical rebound opportunities to go their way in crunch time. That was the ball game, IMO.
It was. But imagine an alternate universe where Staley had a clue and attempted to adjust to what Iowa was doing. If she had, I'm not sure it would have been close enough for those two critical rebounds to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.