Lexi Donarski entering transfer portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
I watched an interview with her, NIL won't factor into her decision of staying for the extra season or not. Her NIL deals go with her she said and will keep growing whatever she decides. She loves playing college basketball and wants to help grow the game, who knows she might get invited to the Olympic trials or camps.

While the WNBA has a LONG way to go, but they've been growing and expanding their income streams and are poised for more growth with the amount of talent like Clark, Bueckers,, etc., that are coming up.
I would argue that the lack of parity in women’s basketball is what has hurt its growth. Great teams have players for 4-5 years in women’s basketball where they don’t generally in men’s. To my point, Geno and UConn hurt women’s basketball by being so dominant because it made a boring product for viewers that no one wanted to watch other than UConn fans.

• Agree
Reactions: Shawker and alarson

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
I would argue that the lack of parity in women’s basketball is what has hurt its growth. Great teams have players for 4-5 years in women’s basketball where they don’t generally in men’s. To my point, Geno and UConn hurt women’s basketball by being so dominant because it made a boring product for viewers that no one wanted to watch other than UConn fans.
UConn last won a national championship in 2016.

Perhaps they inspired a lot of girls to play the game. Their success (along with Tennessee and Louisiana Tech and others) drove growth in the girl’s/women’s game.

Go watch a high school girls AAU tournament with 20 courts playing and you will see the explosion of more talent - thus, more parity.

It was only a few years ago that Caitlyn led an Iowa girl’s AAU team to a national championship where Kylie F hit the game winning three with Kevin Durant watching.

The number of exceptionally athletic women’s basketball players will only continue to grow the fan base.

Iowa State fans have been spoiled with what Bill built. Happy to be part of a great fan base with a very high achieving program for decades.

Look forward to the women’s fan base continue to grow.

Apologies for these comments being in this thread but responding to prior post

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
...it is in this thread

So is .........

Capitalisation-16.png

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
But can she make more in endorsements as a WNBA player.

If she goes WNBA she can keep her HyVee or other local sponsorship deals. Let's say she gets drafted to a major metro, there will be sponsorship opportunities there. On top of that why wouldn't Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, etc. make Clark the face of a women's shoe?

IMO it comes down to what she wants her legacy to be at Iowa. Is she satisfied with a Elite 8, Final 4, National Championship?
I think this is the point, what she does at Iowa will be noticed and remembered more than in the wnba.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Regarding speculation she could’ve been the “go-to” person next year, I believe she’s looking for an offense where a go-to person isn’t required.

Without doing the checking, I would guess once Soares went down, there wasn’t a game where Joens didn’t lead the team in shots. Whatever, that’s Bills style, but if you want to play in an offensive scheme that has all five players on the court having an impact on the offensive end, the last 9 years at Iowa State has not been for you.

That’s not a dig on Ashley or Bridget, they’ve shown they can handle that scheme and perform well. However, I wouldn’t fault someone not wanting to be apart of that offense.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think this is the point, what she does at Iowa will be noticed and remembered more than in the wnba.
Probably true for Iowa fans. But what does she want her legacy to be? Iowa legend or WNBA/Professional WBB Star.

I would think the competitor in Caitlin is going to want to challenge her abilities. Can she do that more at a college or pro level. My guess is she is a Type A+ personality and money/notoriety is nice, but not what drives her.

Would also be curious if she has chance to be on WBB Olympic team summer of 2024 and is there an advantage either way- pro vs college player.

Reactions: undersized_post

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Probably true for Iowa fans. But what does she want her legacy to be? Iowa legend or WNBA/Professional WBB Star.

I would think the competitor in Caitlin is going to want to challenge her abilities. Can she do that more at a college or pro level. My guess is she is a Type A+ personality and money/notoriety is nice, but not what drives her.

Would also be curious if she has chance to be on WBB Olympic team summer of 2024 and is there an advantage either way- pro vs college player.
How many WNBA MVPs can you name in the last 10 years not named Delle Donne?

Can you name 3 people in the WNBA top 10 all time scoring list?

Caitlyn Clark is trending worldwide right now. She’s the first player to ever get a triple double with 40+ points in the NCAA tournament. You think she’s trending worldwide if she does that exact same thing in Game 7 of the WNBA finals whilst making a fraction of the money?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az

You miss the fact that almost nobody gives a poop about the wnba.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Caitlyn Clark is trending worldwide right now. She’s the first player to ever get a triple double with 40+ points in the NCAA tournament. You think she’s trending worldwide if she does that exact same thing in Game 7 of the WNBA finals whilst making a fraction of the money?
Lol who is Delle Donne? Hand to God, have never heard that name before.

I dont watch the NBA either, but at least ive heard of Steph Curry, LeBron, etc

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

I don’t like Clark, but she is one of the best players - men or women - I’ve ever seen.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

This. the WNBA is an afterthought. When I think of womens basketball players I see them in their college uniforms. I can barely name any WNBA teams.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Has the AD/Lexi issued the standard “I want to thank everybody, but I’ve decided to enter the portal” statement yet?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Clark is at another level. She has an excellent supporting cast. Hawks don’t have a lot of depth. But Clark and the Hawks have a shot.

Reactions: Cyclad
Status
Not open for further replies.