St. Louis, MO
Looking at the 6 ranked teams, they have the following:
ISU - 5 games left against top 6
KSU - 5
Texas - 7
TCU - 5
KU - 6
Baylor - 6

That's 17 more losses spread across the 6 teams. Plus I'm sure there will be a couple more dropped to the bottom 4. So about 3 more losses per team.

KSU and ISU are the only 2 that I see having much of a shot at 4 losses and that's unlikely especially since I don't see either of them blowing out many teams. I'd say it's 50-50 there will be one or two 13-5 teams or else it will very likely be a shared title at 12-6.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Still think it’s 5 when all is said and done and I can definitely see two or three teams tied record-wise at the end. KU being extra beatable and already collecting 3 L’s so far changes the math this year.

Reactions: dafarmer

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I was really impressed with Nowell and Johnson. This was the first time I watched KSU. Why were they picked last? The unknown of Tang or lack of knowledge of these 2? But Tang runs a good program from what it seems. I assumed they have lucked their way to the top and would go on a slide. But with that coaching and those 2 I could see them being in the hunt or even be the favorite, unless the injury bug hits them like it did us. I'm still amazed the position we are in without Kunc and Grill, not to mention Williams.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Looking at the 6 ranked teams, they have the following:
ISU - 5 games left against top 6
KSU - 5
Texas - 7
TCU - 5
KU - 6
Baylor - 6

That's 17 more losses spread across the 6 teams. Plus I'm sure there will be a couple more dropped to the bottom 4. So about 3 more losses per team.

KSU and ISU are the only 2 that I see having much of a shot at 4 losses and that's unlikely especially since I don't see either of them blowing out many teams. I'd say it's 50-50 there will be one or two 13-5 teams or else it will very likely be a shared title at 12-6.
Interesting stuff. Texas definitely looks like they could fall out of contention for the top spot having that many games against the top 6 left. Would also be telling to see where each teams games are at home or road. Just checked and KSU has the most home games left against the top 6.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I was really impressed with Nowell and Johnson. This was the first time I watched KSU. Why were they picked last? The unknown of Tang or lack of knowledge of these 2? But Tang runs a good program from what it seems. I assumed they have lucked their way to the top and would go on a slide. But with that coaching and those 2 I could see them being in the hunt or even be the favorite, unless the injury bug hits them like it did us. I'm still amazed the position we are in without Kunc and Grill, not to mention Williams.
Yeah, Nowell and Johnson are very very good players. Nowell is extremely difficult to stop because of the fact that he is lighting quick but can also hit from way deep. Top that off with his passing ability and really the biggest win for Tang was getting him to stay at KSU. I don't think they are nearly the team they are today without him. Johnson is a difficult guard just because he is so strong and the just drives it and seeks out contact and makes the refs call something and he can finish through contact.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames

Lost majority of their team, including two best players.
New coach with no track record.
Nowell returning, but wasn't particular star last year (12ppg).
No idea how Johnson was going to be post 'injury' time off.
Someone has to finish last.

Reactions: isutrevman

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
In terms of hardest remaining schedules, TCU still has to go to ISU and KSU, but they get Baylor, KU and TX at home. They could easily stumble, but if they play to their potential, they should be in the fight until the very end.

Texas, on the other hand, has to play Baylor twice, play us again, and travel to KU, KState and TCU. And they are likely going to get Tech's best game in Lubbock as well. There have a good road win at WVU, but there could be a number of losses for them to close out the conference season.