Cryptocurrency

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Gresham's law states that good money drives out bad. Good money is saved, and bad money is spent. Bitcoin intends to function as money.

I understand your sentiment here, but money is just a medium of exchange for a group of people that agree it has value. All sorts of things have been used as money over human history. The dollar is just a unit of account that basically the world agrees has value. It has zero "real" value. It is created out of thin air, as you mention.

It seems natural to me that stateless money in our digital age would be among the prevailing tech.
Good points, but here’s the thing. Everything in the world with a material worth is valued in fiat currency, literally every physical item as well as services. So the USD has hundreds of millions of SKUs and maybe hundreds of trillions of aggregate dollars all that give a unit of the currency assignable value. Whereas bitcoin currently has a theoretical market cap of $334B, an arbitrary value that many people feel is very inflated.

My friend is CFO of the Edgewood Savings bank in eastern Iowa with branches in Manchester, Dyersville and other nearby towns. They have half a billion in assets. So the global value of bitcoin is only 668 times the value of assets of a small town Iowa bank. If bitcoin drops to $5000 then that multiple is reduced to roughly 200. Seems small to me, almost trivial. My concern if I’m a bitcoin HODLer is that the big institutional guys they’ve been waiting for to give it rocket fuel will lose interest. I’m sure plenty have already, then you throw in FTX to further discourage them.

I may be right or wrong, but I give you and others credit who waded in and made money even if crypto does blow up. The credit belongs to the man in the arena……

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Isn't "stateless" money synonymous with unregulated money?

I don't think so, no. I expect the government to attempt to regulate the way citizens USE bitcoin. But they have no control over the bitcoin protocol itself. Those are two different things.

I mean look at China. Last time I checked 20% of hashpower still comes from China and bitcoin is banned there.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Gresham's law states that good money drives out bad. Good money is saved, and bad money is spent. Bitcoin intends to function as money.

I understand your sentiment here, but money is just a medium of exchange for a group of people that agree it has value. All sorts of things have been used as money over human history. The dollar is just a unit of account that basically the world agrees has value. It has zero "real" value. It is created out of thin air, as you mention.

It seems natural to me that stateless money in our digital age would be among the prevailing tech.
Stateless money is a brilliant solution, if the state allows it. All of the problems resulting from fiat currency also benefit the select few immensely. Hard to imagine them relinquishing that.

Reactions: clonehome

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
I don't think so, no. I expect the government to attempt to regulate the way citizens USE bitcoin. But they have no control over the bitcoin protocol itself. Those are two different things.

I mean look at China. Last time I checked 20% of hashpower still comes from China and bitcoin is banned there.

How much are you down, spendable currency wise?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I picked the Brokeback Mountain/Herschel Walker fake badge tribute card. Pretty sick.

Reminds me I still have to change my username to "FULLY WEAPONIZED MONSTER".

When I went to change, it asks you why and I don't know if I have a valid enough reason.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
And lose 5% also.
Yeah easy to lose money also. You had said to make money must have sold early. I'm just pointing out there is so much movement I do well just buying and selling at these lows.

Reactions: BCClone

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
You are up for the year? Congrats. You must have sold early and gotten back in on the downside.

I dont do much trading. I tried and I suck at it. I just dca when we are far below the 20 week sma. Then I sell some when I need it when we get extended from the 20 week on the upside.

I buy alts only after a capitulation and apathy has set in. So last time around I picked up some Ethereum for $400. Not the bottom of like $80, but not bad.

This time around I expect to pull the trigger on eth between $600-$800. I don't have much extra cash lying around these days, but I'll buy what I can.

My tax program keeps my cost basis. It looks like I am in the green for the year. But that is mostly from some degen plays early in the year that I sold.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
Just a friendly reminder to my fellow crypto investors that although it's been a rough year, don't forget you can wash trade if you are sitting in a losing position and need some tax burden help this year.

NFA ****talk to your accountant

• Wow
Reactions: dafarmer

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
I must say, you certainly seem to have the crypto jargon down pat.

I guess if Krugman continues to pooh-pooh, I'm not eager to dive in, especially since I don't see the advantage over traditional currency.

Indeed, the cult of the genius entrepreneur has played a large role in the rolling debacle that is crypto. Sam Bankman-Fried of FTX wasn’t selling a real product nor, as far as anyone can tell, are those of his former competitors who haven’t yet gone bankrupt: After all this time, nobody has come up with significant real-world uses for cryptocurrency other than money-laundering. What Bankman-Fried was selling, instead, was an image, that of the mussy-haired, scruffily dressed visionary who grasps the future in a way normies can’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: VeloClone

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
I must say, you certainly seem to have the crypto jargon down pat.

I guess if Krugman continues to pooh-pooh, I'm not eager to dive in, especially since I don't see the advantage over traditional currency.

Indeed, the cult of the genius entrepreneur has played a large role in the rolling debacle that is crypto. Sam Bankman-Fried of FTX wasn’t selling a real product nor, as far as anyone can tell, are those of his former competitors who haven’t yet gone bankrupt: After all this time, nobody has come up with significant real-world uses for cryptocurrency other than money-laundering. What Bankman-Fried was selling, instead, was an image, that of the mussy-haired, scruffily dressed visionary who grasps the future in a way normies can’t.

Just curious, why put so much stock in someone like Krugman? That "expert" is laughably wrong quite frequently.

As a bitcoin guy, I can't stand SBF. He hated bitcoin because he couldn't control it. But he loved $hitcoins. The dude is a crook and deserves life behind bars.

Also, to add to the jargon:

In crypto you can also switch between LIFO and FIFO, etc each year if you want. That is also a lesser known fact that can also help tax burden. NFA

• Haha
Reactions: Revenge of Macloney

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
Just a friendly reminder to my fellow crypto investors that although it's been a rough year, don't forget you can wash trade if you are sitting in a losing position and need some tax burden help this year.

NFA ****talk to your accountant
I think you mean capital gains loss not wash trade. New slogan for all you true believers:

"Decrease your taxes by investing in crypto!"