Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
You’re making the assumption that the big ten wants to expand past 16 with more PAC schools. If they wanted it then it would already be done. USC forced the big tens hand to move earlier then they wanted.
I think the long term vision is the B1G wants ND and 24 teams total. But it is a multi-round game.

This round, when ND wouldn't budge, they went to Plan B of just USCLA: the best of the available lot, a stepping stone to more PAC in the future, and to keep the SEC out of there by reducing the value proposition for them.

Next round is probably a couple more PAC, and then round after that is ACC when that comes around. Or maybe that is all one round together when it happens.

All my speculation of course.

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The Cali teams came to the Big Ten with an ultimatum so to be honest I am not 100% sure what the Big Ten wants and I don't think the powers that be really know either from what I have heard.
Warren wanted more.
But he still works for the schools in the end.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I don't see the B1G getting bullied into taking any school if it's not an institution the conference wants, unless it's to get ND to join.
If the B10 really doesn't wan't Cal, I could see them walking away from UCLA. I'm not sure how much UCLA brings that they don't get with USC alone other than a crosstown rival for a member who's next closest school is almost 1,300 miles away. I think Stanford would be the B10's second choice from the PAC if it were entirely up to them, followed by Washington and Oregon and then UCLA. If UCLA is kind of riding USC coattails, it's hard to say if the B10 would be okay with letting Cal ride UCLA's coattails.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think the long term vision is the B1G wants ND and 24 teams total. But it is a multi-round game.

This round, when ND wouldn't budge, they went to Plan B of just USCLA: the best of the available lot, a stepping stone to more PAC in the future, and to keep the SEC out of there by reducing the value proposition for them.

Next round is probably a couple more PAC, and then round after that is ACC when that comes around. Or maybe that is all one round together when it happens.

All my speculation of course.
I really don't see the desire to go to 24. At that point you aren't even a conference you are a whole league. You couldn't even play all those teams in a basketball season. I do agree that anytime ND came calling the big ten would take them though.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Since divisions are going away they could stay at 15. Or they could add one of Oregon/Washington. If they wanted to add others past 16 it would have happened since those schools are waiting for potential invites.
I think it'd come down to how much they value whatever the non-UCLA16th school would be vs. how much they value having at least one west coast scheduling partner for USC, and IMO the latter would win out. I have a hard time seeing the B1G sticking at 15 and leaving USC all by itself out there, and any of Stanford/Oregon/Washington would bring about the same thing as UCLA.

Pretty sure all of this is moot as I don't see the BoR blocking the move, but who knows.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I don't think there is any way UCLA doesn't end up in the B1G. They want Rose Bowl Stadium in their conference. I wouldn't be surprised if in the end what the regents want is to force the hand of the B1G to take Cal with them.
I doubt it’s that. There is genuine concern about student well being with this much travel.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think the threat by floating OU/WU getting invites and dissolving the conference results in UCLA being free to move as there wont be a PAC!0 money to keep the UCLA athletics going considering their debt. If for some reason the Regents force UCLA and CAL as a package the Big 10 can just get Stanford (and the SF market) since they are private and not governed by Regents like USC.

It would be ironic that the PAC 10 Commishs actively working with a hail marry succeeds to keep UCLA in the PAC 10 leading to directly destroying the PAC 10.
How would you like to be UW or UO now. You just got mentioned as possible Big ten, you think they are signing any GOR for more than a year or so? This just made a bigger mess and force UO and UW to declare their intentions of either signing and sticking or playing the field.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
What was their ultimatum?
They would pursue SEC membership. Could have been a bluff since that wouldn't mesh with their school presidents but if they did essentially the SEC would have added 3 more top 10 potential teams with OUT going pushing the big ten farther into irrelevancy in cfb.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They would pursue SEC membership. Could have been a bluff since that wouldn't mesh with their school presidents but if they did essentially the SEC would have added 3 more top 10 potential teams with OUT going pushing the big ten farther into irrelevancy in cfb.
I think USC really wants UCLA with them. If there is a weird hiccup and they get the brakes tapped, I could see USC seeing saying Oregon or washington wouldn't work. They would want a four team pod out there.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Wow, did not know that. USC/UCLA faculty, alumni, and donors would've raised holy hell if they tried joining the SEC.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Wow, did not know that. USC/UCLA faculty, alumni, and donors would've raised holy hell if they tried joining the SEC.
Yeah it could have been a bluff but if you're the big ten you can't take that chance. Also it helps that from a academic and athletic side they match up perfectly with the Big Ten, except for the whole super far away thing.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think USC really wants UCLA with them. If there is a weird hiccup and they get the brakes tapped, I could see USC seeing saying Oregon or washington wouldn't work. They would want a four team pod out there.
Oh I think they do want UCLA, but if they wanted a 4 team pod that would already have happened or it would be a non issue. Washington fits very well with the big ten but Oregon would be a stretch from the university president side of things who are still pissed about Nebraska.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I really don't see the desire to go to 24. At that point you aren't even a conference you are a whole league. You couldn't even play all those teams in a basketball season. I do agree that anytime ND came calling the big ten would take them though.
But isn't that the point?

B1G = NFC
SEC = AFC

Winners decide the NFL Lite (almost)Super Bowl...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Oh I think they do want UCLA, but if they wanted a 4 team pod that would already have happened or it would be a non issue. Washington fits very well with the big ten but Oregon would be a stretch from the university president side of things who are still pissed about Nebraska.
I agree that none of them were looking at a four team pod, I'm just saying that i could see USC demanding something like that if UCLA for some odd reason was told they could not go.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
But isn't that the point?

B1G = NFC
SEC = AFC

Winners decide the NFL Lite (almost)Super Bowl...
That’s only the point on this board. No one wants a 2 division NFL lite as that would murder ratings as most of the country checks out as they have no skin in the game.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That’s only the point on this board. No one wants a 2 division NFL lite as that would murder ratings as most of the country checks out as they have no skin in the game.

But does Fox and ESPN believe that? Ultimately that is what will drive it.

A tougher question is what if there is no competitive balance? If only the B1G and SEC are any good, they start to pay players (or use NIL) to buy the best players from the other 3 conferences, and those become glorified G5s? Will that lack of competitive balance also kill ratings overall as ACC/PAC/Big12 fans tune out?

20eyes

May 15, 2020
No sh^t... But we're absolutely headed for a two division de facto NFL Lite...the one I described. How did the last all SEC National Championship do for ratings? If it did worse than the last five, last ten, it's pretty clear that the genius's who developed the playoff don't care.

How have UNL, Colorado, Missouri, UMD or aTm fared post realignment? They've gotten richer and less competitive...and in the case of CU and Mizzou their fans have checked out. And if asked, their ADs would say they'd do it all again...for the money.

Unless the B1G and SEC are prepared to subsidize the little three, simple economics dictates that those two leagues will be so far ahead financially that a gap, acknowledged or not, creates two classes.

ISU can't sustain a $50MM gap with UI, which is coming. THAT is what's going to cause ISU fans to check out.

Finally, ESPN & Fox clearly DO want the financial disparity to exist which creates separate classes. They're paying for it.

• Dumb
Reactions: CloneJD

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron