Iowa Football Recruiting

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
He gets the dropsies sometimes.
He's a lot more Tracy than Charlie jones. I'm not sure I had 1 critique of Jones play here we all knew he was a player and should of been playing more.
Bruce like Tracy is this weird hybrid that's not 1 complete position. He doesn't get open which was exasperated with petras overthrowing him when he was or him dropping it. His skill is when he has the ball in open field. Other coaches will assuredly do a better job of presenting those opportunities more but that's not an easy thing to do especially because he's recognized as the gut to key on for gadget type plays. His jet sweeps were telegraphed miles away. You'd think he'd excel at PR but Watching him back there was like getting to watch Sky Moore 1 day earlier

Reactions: 7Got6

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
He's a lot more Tracy than Charlie jones. I'm not sure I had 1 critique of Jones play here we all knew he was a player and should of been playing more.
Bruce like Tracy is this weird hybrid that's not 1 complete position. He doesn't get open which was exasperated with petras overthrowing him when he was or him dropping it. His skill is when he has the ball in open field. Other coaches will assuredly do a better job of presenting those opportunities more but that's not an easy thing to do especially because he's recognized as the gut to key on for gadget type plays. His jet sweeps were telegraphed miles away. You'd think he'd excel at PR but Watching him back there was like getting to watch Sky Moore 1 day earlier
Jones was the bigger loss last year obviously. Johnson will be the bigger loss this year, only caveat to that being whether he will be healthy Johnson that was a much more polished receiver than Bruce.

I suspect will hear two or three years from now the real story about Keegan Johnson, that Iowa media always likes to let the story die before actually telling us what they heard.

I think Copeland may have partially spilled those beans already though. He made comments about two different sets of parents calling him the week of the Big Ten championship week saying their son need to be more part of the game plan. Had to have been KJ. It’s just bizarre to me he didn’t transfer right after the season last year.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Who is going to be left on that team for McNamara to throw to? And quickly I might add as that offensive like is a bit porous. Maybe Brian expects him to run more than Petras. In any case, it will be interesting to see how he does when he comes to Ames for a warm welcome.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
Who is going to be left on that team for McNamara to throw to? And quickly I might add as that offensive like is a bit porous. Maybe Brian expects him to run more than Petras. In any case, it will be interesting to see how he does when he comes to Ames for a warm welcome.
It's going to have to be transfers of some sort let's just hope they're upgrades

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I guess I just don't see a long line of transfer WRs wanting to come play for Brian. Transfers are usually down to a few years to show they have NFL potential. Why would you gamble on Brian and his offense to help with that?

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Woof Chad…

That said, I heard Arlen Harris Jr will be visiting both Iowa State and Iowa. And he was a pretty big recruit last cycle.
He won’t be going to Iowa bc Kaleb Johnson is a guy. Will be the Iowa bellcow. We don’t have a bellcow right now and we have put 3 RBs in the nfl recently.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009
I guess I just don't see a long line of transfer WRs wanting to come play for Brian. Transfers are usually down to a few years to show they have NFL potential. Why would you gamble on Brian and his offense to help with that?
Not the high demand ones. That Holden from Alabama is not going to choose Iowa he just has too many better options. Doesn't mean you can't find other guys. We all know what Charlie Jones did at purdue but Iowa was the first team to identify him from the lower level. I heard Jones in an interview specifically talk about choosing Iowa because they'll give guys like him a fair chance. There's rumors of a division 2 productive player possibly coming aboard. Guys like that is where Iowa's probably going to have to find them because as you correctly point out they won't be the first choice for the big names

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
For as much heat as Brian Ferentz got during the year, all the celebration around McNamara really makes it seem like all the problems were with Petras. I, for one, am glad that the fanbase has accepted BF as being a good enough OC for the future, but it really does not feel earned.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
What's so funny about that? Iowa lost to 4-8 ISU by 3, 4-8 Nebraska by 7 and a decent Illinois team by 3. With Cade, those could have turned into wins.
Because it’s not as simple as just replacing the QB or else the Iowa fanbase wouldn’t be screaming for Brian’s job or a monumental change in the OL. I don’t think simply adding a better QB would’ve been as monumental as you think.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone and Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron