Iowa Football Recruiting

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
For as much heat as Brian Ferentz got during the year, all the celebration around McNamara really makes it seem like all the problems were with Petras. I, for one, am glad that the fanbase has accepted BF as being a good enough OC for the future, but it really does not feel earned.
I actually think the problems in order were:

1) OL
2) Petras
3) BF

They all contributed to a historically bad offense. If Iowa can't fix their OL, it won't matter who the QB or OC is.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Because it’s not as simple as just replacing the QB or else the Iowa fanbase wouldn’t be screaming for Brian’s job or a monumental change in the OL. I don’t think simply adding a better QB would’ve been as monumental as you think.
They still would have been handled by OSU and Michigan, but I don't think it is a stretch to think that Cade could have made a difference in three close losses.

GoHawks

Jul 12, 2009

1) OL
2) Petras
3) BF

They all contributed to a historically bad offense. If Iowa can't fix their OL, it won't matter who the QB or OC is.
Add kf somewhere and this

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

1) OL
2) Petras
3) BF

Brain is the QBs coach. That almost forces him to be #2. Which is an apt number for him.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They still would have been handled by OSU and Michigan, but I don't think it is a stretch to think that Cade could have made a difference in three close losses.
Not wrong. Just don’t know if Iowa was a good QB away from being 10-2 is all I’m saying.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Not wrong. Just don’t know if Iowa was a good QB away from being 10-2 is all I’m saying.
The defense and STs were that good IMO. It is a shame those units were wasted on such a pitiful offense. QB makes a huge difference in any offense. Most important player on the field.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The defense and STs were that good IMO. It is a shame those units were wasted on such a pitiful offense. QB makes a huge difference in any offense. Most important player on the field.
Every defense looks great against Big 10 West QB play. Minnesota ran for 312 yards and found a way to lose. I think the punter was truly the team MVP.

Reactions: Acylum

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If I'm Iowa, I'd be going after TE's harder than WR. LaPorta is listed as a TE in the program but he almost always lined up out wide or in the slot. They can market TE production against anyone in the country and have proven they'll get multiple involved in the offense. That is especially true with the holes at WR. They would much more attractive to a TE than WR.

• Agree
Reactions: GoHawks

ozzie8

Apr 30, 2008

Was the D that great? Iowa State went for over 100 on the ground, Minnesota gashed them on the ground, Illinois gashed them on the ground. Iowa played some really bad QBs and they were bailed out at Purdue with 40mph winds all game, took PU right out of their plan. Every game Iowa played against an average to a good QB, they lost and Illinois won anyway playing Sitkowski (JJ Mccarthy, Casey Thompson, CJ Stroud and Hunter Dekkers). I think Iowa's D is good, far from elite.

• Haha
Reactions: Shawker

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Was the D that great? Iowa State went for over 100 on the ground, Minnesota gashed them on the ground, Illinois gashed them on the ground. Iowa played some really bad QBs and they were bailed out at Purdue with 40mph winds all game, took PU right out of their plan. Every game Iowa played against an average to a good QB, they lost and Illinois won anyway playing Sitkowski (JJ Mccarthy, Casey Thompson, CJ Stroud and Hunter Dekkers). I think Iowa's D is good, far from elite.
How many points did the Defense give up against ISU and Minnesota. Iowa has always been a defense that gives up yards but is very stingy on points.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So Iowa’s a lock for the Rose Bowl next year?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Was the D that great?
vzlWUjXMsYKSY1yWjfJdQPmZtTmFnp3GU51ac4jvghg.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: CYCLNST8

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
For as much heat as Brian Ferentz got during the year, all the celebration around McNamara really makes it seem like all the problems were with Petras. I, for one, am glad that the fanbase has accepted BF as being a good enough OC for the future, but it really does not feel earned.
BF will be demoted after the season and probably stay on to help with the OL and run game

• Optimistic
Reactions: 7Got6