Perimeter defense by our bigs

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Just have to say that I could not be more impressed by how the big guys on TJ's teams defend on the perimeter (inside too, but especially on the perimeter). I'm still trying to get used to seeing one of our forwards or centers switched onto a quick guard and not expecting them to get torched, even when they are guarding closely enough to prevent the three.

The fundamentals on display are really, really impressive, and that takes some serious dedication on the part of the players, and great coaching by the staff.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Just have to say that I could not be more impressed by how the big guys on TJ's teams defend on the perimeter (inside too, but especially on the perimeter). I'm still trying to get used to seeing one of our forwards or centers switched onto a quick guard and not expecting them to get torched, even when they are guarding closely enough to prevent the three.

The fundamentals on display are really, really impressive, and that takes some serious dedication on the part of the players, and great coaching by the staff.
I came away last night appreciating that we are deep enough to switch to a small-ish ball line-up (at least against UND) when our traditional bigs were starting to get exposed in space. Especially once King is eligible, this team will be able to change up rotations to take advantage of mismatches, and the coaching staff seems more than willing to do it.

Also, shoutout to Eli King and Conrad Hawley for a pair of trillions.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
This team is extremely well coached.

It is amazing the amount of buy-in the players have in the system.

Getting such effort on both ends is amazing in today's game.
Even the offense is well coached. All 5 guys are constantly moving, the ball doesn't stick. We get quite a few wide open lay-ups and dunks off set plays, even against good teams. Unfortunately, we just don't have much offensive talent. It is what it is.

Reactions: NoCreativity

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
This team is extremely well coached.

It is amazing the amount of buy-in the players have in the system.

Getting such effort on both ends is amazing in today's game.
The cool thing is that it is attracting big time recruits that want to go somewhere that is going to push them hard and help them improve, and there are examples of that already.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
osun was defending 25 ft from the basket and i thought he was moving his feet exceptionally well for being as big as he is.
But he also only played 8 minutes due to the need to switch all 5

I thought Watson played very well defensively (and obviously rebounded VERY well) - he played a little at the 3 after the first sub, with Watson, Kunc and Jones playing at the same time. but also played a bunch of '4' with both Kunc and Ward at the 5 different times. That "small" lineup is key to matching up against some opponents - and the "big" line up will be more common once Tre is available in a couple weeks

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

I am impressed too - they play hard and try hard.

But, against North Dakota we ended up having to go small, with Jaz at center to finally be able to effectively switch everything and better guard them. I noticed this and TJ commented on it in the post game. My observation - Jaz and Ward are decent at it, Osun and Jones far less effective / as you might expect.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I remember the haters... or at least the reasonable ones, the ones with some formulated arguments to justify their dislike of the hire... giving begrudging respect to TJ as a recruiter but having reservations about his coaching abilities. And that TJ's success in Ames would hinge on his ability to put together a staff that could manage the X's and O's for him and develop relatively unheralded players into dudes.

Well then... he definitely hit on that with Green, Blount, and Schmitty.

Reactions: CascadeClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I always get nervous when Osun or Bob is 25 feet from the basket, but they recover almost every time, and they've been coached to extend their arms to disrupt the passing lanes VERY well as they recover. It's impressive.

Talking of which, the weakside help guy has also been well trained to extend their arms when chasing back after a skip pass. Had a couple steals, and a couple more deflections on those last night.

Just impressive the attention to detail with this scheme they run defensively. Credit to TJ & Co for coaching it, and the players for actually doing it.

Reactions: Cjreimer

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I am impressed too - they play hard and try hard.

But, against North Dakota we ended up having to go small, with Jaz at center to finally be able to effectively switch everything and better guard them. I noticed this and TJ commented on it in the post game. My observation - Jaz and Ward are decent at it, Osun and Jones far less effective / as you might expect.
Yeah, good coaches are always going to find the weak spot in whatever you are doing, and it's nice to have a staff that is willing to adjust on the fly to gain the advantage back.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Yeah, good coaches are always going to find the weak spot in whatever you are doing, and it's nice to have a staff that is willing to adjust on the fly to gain the advantage back.
I think TJ and staff are not just good recruiters and teachers, but they are excellent at in game adjustments. After we went small yesterday, we got a lot better.
It’s situational - got to adapt to the game.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I'm also impressed with how well the rest o

I'm also impressed with how well the rest of the team recognizes the mismatch and adjusts to help out with the mismatch inside.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Agree with all of this. I'm really impressed by how quickly we recover when the other team reverses the ball out of our trap.
I'm not sure how much of the credit for our defense goes to coach Green, but I'm guessing a lot of it should.

Reactions: Cjreimer

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Bob Jones says hi
Bob Jones doesn't have the raw talent to even be on a roster in a major conference.

And yet, every night, he gives his all on both ends. Does all the dirty work, hustles, grinds.

We're lucky to have him, and he's a joy to watch.

We win games because Bob makes better players practice hard all week, and give their best effort when they hit the court.