*** Official IOWA STATE vs #20 UCONN Game(Day) Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Great learning experience! Team looked a step slow and tired tonight. Just lacked that extra juice. I’m calling it now UConn is going to win the Big East and be a 1 or 2 seed. They have obliterated everyone so far and have all the pieces…………

Depth, size, great guards and shooters, solid defensively.

Iowa State had a good tournament. Onto the next.

Yeah unless they get dysfunctional or have injuries UConn will be tough for anyone.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Better team won. They honestly remind me of a more talented version of us. They play hard and just beat the will out of you.

Good trip for us. Two brand name wins with some positives to draw from it and plenty to work on.

Thanks God Walton doesn't do B12 games.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
One of the key turning points of the game was when we cut it to 6 and had the steal for a 3 on 1 break and made a bad decision with an alley-oop pass. The resulting unfortunate carom off the backboard to give UConn a quick break the other way led to a wide open made 3 pointer. So, instead of cutting the lead to 4, it was back up to 9. There were a few other botched offensive plays after a steal as well - but that one really stuck out to me. Not sure we would have won anyways - but that sequence kinda sums up tonight pretty well. Our guys play with so much energy and determination. Unfortunately, the offensive skill set is limited.

If he throws that down we might get the steam up to see out the end of the game. That’s what I was talking about with Hunter as a playmaker earlier and some boomer came back at me with “he wasn’t a playmaker look at his assists and turnover numbers”. That’s not what it’s about and that’s an obvious tell of a person that didn’t play basketball or was very ****** at playing basketball.

Reactions: CycloneVet

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Nova does suck, they got blasted by Portland. UNC doesn’t look like a Top 25 team, let alone a #1 team.
Those will be good wins come March. You get one of St John’s and Iowa and finish 10-2 in non-conference then we are in great shape. 18-13 will get them in the tourney in the best conference in the nation.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Very encouraged by what I saw from lipsey tonight. That is exactly what we need from him. Don't force it but take what they give him offensively.
About the only good thing that come from this game. Hopefully TL learns this team is going to need him to contribute offensively for them to be better.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
One of the key turning points of the game was when we cut it to 6 and had the steal for a 3 on 1 break and made a bad decision with an alley-oop pass. The resulting unfortunate carom off the backboard to give UConn a quick break the other way led to a wide open made 3 pointer. So, instead of cutting the lead to 4, it was back up to 9. There were a few other botched offensive plays after a steal as well - but that one really stuck out to me. Not sure we would have won anyways - but that sequence kinda sums up tonight pretty well. Our guys play with so much energy and determination. Unfortunately, the offensive skill set is limited.
There were 3 or 4 poorly executed fast breaks, as limited as we are we have to cash those in. Teachable moments.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin and CYDJ

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
We seemed to get sped up too often. I don’t think it would’ve mattered much, but when we did get it to 5, we really should’ve taken a timeout and got us to relax a bit. We tried pushing too hard and ended up being silly with the ball for two straight possessions and basically the game was sealed after that. No shame, just a tough opponent.

• Agree
Reactions: CYDJ

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The foul situation (not blaming the refs at all) I think played into our game. With the quick foul trouble, we got guys who were hesitant and we couldn’t rotate like we wanted to at times. Same thing happened in the women’s game but I’m the 3rd quarter instead. Need to clean that up some. Don’t give the cheap stuff

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
This is setting up like the football season in that way... No expectations, then early season gives us hope, so then people are passed even though they did much better than expected. You can book it.

Fortunately, we all have the option to manage our own expectations and our reactions to how the season ultimately goes.

Unfortunately, many will not allow themselves to simply be disappointed and then just move on to the next. They have to want to burn it all down.