Could Iowa State go bowling at 5-7?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Worse bowl trip -- taking a bus to Tempe (full band), or flying to Boise (but with only 60 band members)?

Id go with boise.

At least the trip with the full band is a better experience, and to a better location. Plus you're traveling with a bunch of friends so the long drive isn't that bad.

Then again, i did band living on buses for a couple summers so I might be biased in that direction.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't mind the traditional bowl games even if they aren't part of the playoff. It's just that ESPN keeps creating bowl games with too little payout to make playing good financial sense. I'm all for the kids getting the free trip though.

Kind of off topic here, but are all the NY6 bowls going to be playoff games?

Cotton
Fiesta
Orange
Peach
Rose
Sugar

With two as semifinals and the other four as quarterfinals each season?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Kind of off topic here, but are all the NY6 bowls going to be playoff games?

Cotton
Fiesta
Orange
Peach
Rose
Sugar

With two as semifinals and the other four as quarterfinals each season?
I think so, and that would make sense! I personally love the four old historical NYD Bowls, and the Fiesta and Peach have been solid for most of my life.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
The Athletic still not prognosticating us to a Bowl Game:

This is who they had in the Birmingham Bowl:
BirminghamDec. 27Cincinnati (AAC) vs. Liberty* (SEC No. 9)

First Responder (Dallas):
First ResponderDec. 27UNLV (ESPN) vs. BYU (ESPN)

Armed Forces (Ft. Worth):
Armed ForcesDec. 22Air Force (ESPN) vs. SMU (AAC)

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
OSU and Tech are beatable. Not saying we beat TCU, but CMC teams tend to beat highly ranked teams. 6-6 is doable, 5-7 is very achievable.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The Athletic still not prognosticating us to a Bowl Game:

This is who they had in the Birmingham Bowl:
BirminghamDec. 27Cincinnati (AAC) vs. Liberty* (SEC No. 9)

First Responder (Dallas):
First ResponderDec. 27UNLV (ESPN) vs. BYU (ESPN)

Armed Forces (Ft. Worth):
Armed ForcesDec. 22Air Force (ESPN) vs. SMU (AAC)

Well it is written by Stewie Mandel, so there's that...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
OSU and Tech are beatable. Not saying we beat TCU, but CMC teams tend to beat highly ranked teams. 6-6 is doable, 5-7 is very achievable.

Would be quite the feather in the cap for this ISU team to finish off two close games and get to any bowl.

I'm not a fan of OSU in week 3 of their tailspin though. That third week is usually 'right the ship' time and that seems to be the trend for ISU to face teams in that mode.

• Agree
Reactions: Big_Sill

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Would be quite the feather in the cap for this ISU team to finish off two close games and get to any bowl.

I'm not a fan of OSU in week 3 of their tailspin though. That third week is usually 'right the ship' time and that seems to be the trend for ISU to face teams in that mode.

I'm shocked OSU fell apart. I thought they were the best overall team in the conference, even after losing to TCU. The smackdown by KSU surprised me, but kind of thought they were just beat up and worn down by the schedule. They had their bye week in September, and have just had no time off to heal and rest.

But losing to KU? The wheels have officially come off.

Hopefully they have one more week of sucking, before getting their act together and beating OU next week.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Currently 54 bowl-eligible teams going into today's play.

60 more are alive (22 of which already have 6 losses).

82 total spots available.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Unofficially, 64 teams are eligible the regular way.

38 others are still alive -- 16 of them with 6 losses.

As far as the APR pool is concerned, ISU is still 5th at the moment:
Rice (5-5)
Wisconsin (5-5)
Temple (3-7)
Boston College (3-7)
Iowa State (4-6)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
  • Agree
Reactions: Acylum

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
So he has us getting in with 5 wins then. That's awful. 5 wins is worthless.
Yes, he does, but I don't think it worthless for three reasons:

First, APR being a factor, means that Iowa State Football is doing something right. At the end of the day, the kids working towards a degree is more important than winning football games. The reward is for having a high APR!

Second, in this awful, awful season where it feels like the sky is falling, ISU can still reach a Bowl Game, which is truly better than being 4-8, 3-9 or 2-10.

Third, having the extra practice time is like getting a free Spring Practice, and lord knows this team / program needs it! Use it! Practice young guys! Try new things!

So, in conclusion, 5-7 with a Senior Night win over Texas Tech and a bid to the First Responder Bowl vs. UNLV and a week in Dallas beats a loss to TT, 4-8, and a longer, colder winter.

Just my onion.

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You must have missed the thread title lol

No.... it's just sad and embarrassing. If this team finishes with 5 wins.... it should not be rewarded in any way. A bowl game would just be a participation medal. We are a really bad football team. A bowl game is unconceivable.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
No.... it's just sad and embarrassing. If this team finishes with 5 wins.... it should not be rewarded in any way. A bowl game would just be a participation medal. We are a really bad football team. A bowl game is unconceivable.
Does anybody think we are? The thread is would it be possible if we got 5 wins