Could Iowa State go bowling at 5-7?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
At least there's now a chance to get 5 wins. That was a long losing streak that is thankfully over. Nice to feel like there's a chance now vs. OSU. TT clearly the likely W and no chance @ TCU. Is anybody coming back for OSU just in time to play us?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So is 5-7 essentially bowl eligible for Iowa State this season?

Given...

-- sounds like lots of slots for 5-7 teams will be available
-- Campbell and the staff wouldn't turn down the extra practices
-- Pollard isn't turning down the check
-- ISU is going to rate highly in APR because most teams higher than it are either obviously bowling or they are not even close to the 5-7 line where they might compete with the Cyclones

Right?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

Given...

-- ISU is going to rate highly in APR because most teams higher than it are either obviously bowling or they are not even close to the 5-7 line where they might compete with the Cyclones

Right?
Id say so- it's almost a given we'd be invited

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
At least there's now a chance to get 5 wins. That was a long losing streak that is thankfully over. Nice to feel like there's a chance now vs. OSU. TT clearly the likely W and no chance @ TCU. Is anybody coming back for OSU just in time to play us?

It definitely feels like an ISU thing to do to **** over the conference and knock out our playoff contender.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008

Given...

Right?
Agree on all except Pollard and the "check". Couldn't one of these bowls actually cost us money?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I understand the additional practice time but bowling at 5-7 is essentially a participation trophy

Reactions: yowza

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
You’d be surprised at the expense to go to a bowl game.

Not really. It mostly depends on transportation choices, number of people, and who stays how many days (especially band, cheer, and non-working tag-alongs). They try to make it as close to zero-sum as possible.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Not really. It mostly depends on transportation choices, number of people, and who stays how many days (especially band, cheer, and non-working tag-alongs). They try to make it as close to zero-sum as possible.

I'm still smarting over having to take a bus from Ames to Tempe because it was cheaper to haul the band down there in 5-6 travel coaches instead of chartering a flight for all of us.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I understand the additional practice time but bowling at 5-7 is essentially a participation trophy
I don't feel much different about 6 win bowling either where you end up with a losing record if you drop the bowl game. Honestly, outside of the playoff all bowl games are a participation trophy of some sort.

This program could really use it this year. Added practices would be good for all the newer players. And honestly we could use a little good news and momentum going in to the off-season. Being able to brag about a school record bowl streak would be nice no matter how it happened. So would claiming a bowl win even if it is bearing up some G5 lightweight in some made up game that didn't exist 10 years ago.

cyclones122

Oct 3, 2009
Arlington, VA
I don't feel much different about 6 win bowling either where you end up with a losing record if you drop the bowl game. Honestly, outside of the playoff all bowl games are a participation trophy of some sort.

This program could really use it this year. Added practices would be good for all the newer players. And honestly we could use a little good news and momentum going in to the off-season. Being able to brag about a school record bowl streak would be nice no matter how it happened. So would claiming a bowl win even if it is bearing up some G5 lightweight in some made up game that didn't exist 10 years ago.
Agreed, especially if we do beat up on some G5 school. Gives the fan base something to take into the offseason and creates some momentum for next season. Also, a bowl game/trip is a reward for all the players. Just because we may be 5-7 doesn't mean the players haven't been working their a***s off. In this case they'd also be getting rewarded for their work in the classroom. Let them go and enjoy it.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Agreed, especially if we do beat up on some G5 school. Gives the fan base something to take into the offseason and creates some momentum for next season. Also, a bowl game/trip is a reward for all the players. Just because we may be 5-7 doesn't mean the players haven't been working their a***s off. In this case they'd also be getting rewarded for their work in the classroom. Let them go and enjoy it.
Although tough to take a player vote, I generally agree that you go if the guys want to. Let em get a swag bag :)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I'm still smarting over having to take a bus from Ames to Tempe because it was cheaper to haul the band down there in 5-6 travel coaches instead of chartering a flight for all of us.

Worse bowl trip -- taking a bus to Tempe (full band), or flying to Boise (but with only 60 band members)?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

I don't mind the traditional bowl games even if they aren't part of the playoff. It's just that ESPN keeps creating bowl games with too little payout to make playing good financial sense. I'm all for the kids getting the free trip though.