Another Manning S^*T sandwich

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Why Shaw plays the amount of snaps that he does is puzzling to me. Unless someone needs a break the only 3 receivers that should see the field are X, Stanley, and Noel.
There's a bunch of those receivers on the team that I actually forgot still had eligibility because you only see them do something once every 4 games.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Outside of X we have very average WR's. The O-Line isn't very good. Hard to do much. I thought Easton Dean was the next great TE?
I do agree on Dean, it seems the hype has been overblown and might be time to punt on that experiment. He is a converted QB, who has had something like 4 years to focus on his transition to TE and it simply hasn't panned out. But I do not agree that the WRs are so bad. Re-watch these games and focus on the receivers. They are open. Our QB just isn't seeing the field well. Stanley and Noel are good receivers. Wilson and Shaw are adequate. X is an NFL guy, obvi. Daniel Jackson is allegedly good. 2 good, or at least touted FR in Essex and Gaines. Aidan Bitter has played snaps almost every game. IDK why Dekkers isn't finding them, whether it's a product of him not seeing the field well, or maybe the route trees that Manning has drawn up. But they aren't bad. I don't think anyway.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I do agree on Dean, it seems the hype has been overblown and might be time to punt on that experiment. He is a converted QB, who has had something like 4 years to focus on his transition to TE and it simply hasn't panned out. But I do not agree that the WRs are so bad. Re-watch these games and focus on the receivers. They are open. Our QB just isn't seeing the field well. Stanley and Noel are good receivers. Wilson and Shaw are adequate. X is an NFL guy, obvi. Daniel Jackson is allegedly good. 2 good, or at least touted FR in Essex and Gaines. Aidan Bitter has played snaps almost every game. IDK why Dekkers isn't finding them, whether it's a product of him not seeing the field well, or maybe the route trees that Manning has drawn up. But they aren't bad. I don't think anyway.
I think our QBs are only really given two reads on any play: the focused route (usually X), and a safer, short route. And for some reason, they are not instructed to run, even when the clock in their head should be telling them to.

Check out Purdy's "development":

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2018Iowa StateBig 12FRQB1014622066.4225010.210.3167169.9
*2019Iowa StateBig 12SOQB1331247565.739828.48.7279151.1
*2020Iowa StateBig 12JRQB1224336566.627507.57.5199142.1
*2021Iowa StateBig 12SRQB1329240771.731887.87.9198149.0
CareerIowa State993146767.7121708.38.48133151.1

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Everyone knows that Dekkers has areas in his game to improve upon just like any other player. The locking onto one target, staying in the pocket too long, the high INT rate etc.. That being said, the rest of the offense doesn't help him out too often and either does the play caller for the most part.

When the QB throws 57 times in a game in this offense, it is not going to be all roses and good outcomes. People calling for Rocco are also ridiculous. What is a 3rd string freshman going to do with the way the offense is right now? A spark? I'm not sure that a change at QB does anything this year. In his limited time on the field, I think the Cook kid looked better overall anyway for now.

Why Shaw plays the amount of snaps that he does is puzzling to me. Unless someone needs a break the only 3 receivers that should see the field are X, Stanley, and Noel.
Rocco isn't the answer, this year, or maybe ever. But getting someone in there that sees the field a little differently may help. I don't think the answer is on the roster currently, but if things continue to trend negatively, I wouldn't mind seeing Cook take a few snaps.

Do not agree on the receivers. I think they are fine, and I think more than just X are getting open.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We sub WR's more than anyone in the country and I have no idea why. Numerous times the other day we took out X, Stanley and Noel and put in Wilson, Shaw and Bitter. The defense already doesn't respect our WRs and then you put in ALL backups who the defense doesn't even have to cover, makes a lot of sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
‍Sad really...
It is. Campbell offenses are wasting these young WR's prime playing days. Little coincidence guys like Josh Johnson and Joe Scates have left the program with remaining eligibility. Expect more attrition this offseason too.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
It is. Campbell offenses are wasting these young WR's prime playing days. Little coincidence guys like Josh Johnson and Joe Scates have left the program with remaining eligibility. Expect more attrition this offseason too.
I felt bad for Hutch when he kept getting crushed by multiple Jayhawks on all those short passing routes.

• Agree

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019

This is correct. When at home games watch the WRs. We have guys open a lot. Im not just talking about after the play is over and the defense has converged on the ball making it look like our WRs are open. I wasnt able to make the game this previous saturday but watched it live and there were several times I could even see it from home when the camera panned. One instance the offense was driving and was on the 30 and 2 WRs were wide open over the middle, one about 7 yards and the other about 12-15. Dekkers never saw them. Why? He was keyed in on the right sideline the second the ball was snapped.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We sub WR's more than anyone in the country and I have no idea why. Numerous times the other day we took out X, Stanley and Noel and put in Wilson, Shaw and Bitter. The defense already doesn't respect our WRs and then you put in ALL backups who the defense doesn't even have to cover, makes a lot of sense.

Not to mention when someone's in rhythm, you keep them in rhythm.

Of course that would also require ISU playing the hot hand which is also something they don't do.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Jfc stop comparing this to Prohm. Not even the same sport.
Yes. Similar to Prohm and his coaching in the NCAA tourney against Virginia and Purdue.

Once you see a huge fault, you can't lose sight of it. And when you notice that it isn't being corrected, it becomes a great concern.

CampbellBall is a ball control offense that requires even talent or better to succeed. High risk/ high reward plays are thus taboo. Rely on NFL caliber RBs to eventually break own, and overcome bad blocking and schemes with sheer talent. Keep the game close until half, and never show your best stuff in the first half. Lean on an amazing defensive coordinator.

We know that is what ISU does, so guess what experts see? They've figured out you just mostly mirror that, but throw in some deep shots and innovative play calls, especially in the first half, to build a lead. Then, ride it out. Grab that win. Works about 80% of the time now against ISU if you have similar or better talent.

CMC is a Mount Union guy where the key was to play D3 football with D1 talent. I mean, congrats on dominating the dojo........

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Our receivers seem not to get separation against tight/man coverage. They can appear open against zone, but Dekkers has a problem with not seeing zone defenders. Feels like nearly all of his INTs have come against zone D, he can't seem to figure out how to beat it. That makes the defense's job pretty easy.

In a way, I don't blame Manning all that much given the tools he has to work with. What offense do you go with when you can't run the ball, your WRs and TEs don't block well, average talent at pretty much all skill positions, and a QB who isn't overly accurate or a great decision maker?

That sounds like a whole lotta' nothing to work with. We beat this in the past with superior skill position talent. The core issue related to almost all of the others is unfortunately the OL.

Reactions: Cyclad

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This is correct. When at home games watch the WRs. We have guys open a lot. Im not just talking about after the play is over and the defense has converged on the ball making it look like our WRs are open. I wasnt able to make the game this previous saturday but watched it live and there were several times I could even see it from home when the camera panned. One instance the offense was driving and was on the 30 and 2 WRs were wide open over the middle, one about 7 yards and the other about 12-15. Dekkers never saw them. Why? He was keyed in on the right sideline the second the ball was snapped.

The question I have is why is he doing this. Yeah, I get that he hasn't been the starter until this year, and he hasn't gotten the starter reps until spring ball last year. But he isn't a freshman out of HS either. This is his third year in the system; he has been getting coached by Campbell's staff for over 2 years now.

It seems that not locking in a WR/panning the field for other open receivers should be a basic skill taught to all of the QBs. Locking in on a receiver is basically a fear/panic reaction; it's what you do until you've been trained to respond differently. If Dekkers is not at least somewhat comfortable scanning for open secondary receivers at this point, then it seems that there has been some kind of breakdown in his development. Maybe he is afraid of getting sacked, since apparently he has been told not to run out of the pocket, and he's just got to get rid of the ball ASAP.

• Winner

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Our receivers seem not to get separation against tight/man coverage. They can appear open against zone, but Dekkers has a problem with not seeing zone defenders. Feels like nearly all of his INTs have come against zone D, he can't seem to figure out how to beat it. That makes the defense's job pretty easy.
He's late on his timing. Probably doesn't trust his line and receivers making him hesitate.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
I’d be willing to give Manning another shot if we had a new experienced OL coach.
IMO the best moves for ISU to make would be to get rid of Myers and Joel Gordon, move Manning to OL coach, Scheelhouse to QB coach (maybe give him a shot at OC?), then bring in a WR coach and RB coach. Or, since Scheelhouse is working with WRs and RBs now, bring in a coach who can do both and then, for the love of God, we’d be able to hire a special teams coach

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
He's late on his timing. Probably doesn't trust his line and receivers making him hesitate.
I think a lot of time he's a little early and can't finish throws because he's about to get planted from the OL or RBs not blocking well. Brock missed a block Sat due to blocking an outside guy and not the guy that rushed right up the middle. That one he threw early and could not wait for X to make his move to the outside.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC