On to Kansas Week Thread

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
More importantly ISU, Baylor, and Iowa are all elite at stopping the run. All top ten in YPR allowed. It will be interesting to see how that holds up against one of the best rushing attacks in the country with KU, albeit against bad defenses.

Right! As bad as it seemed Baylor only ran for 123 yards.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
It’s really hard to say it about a KU team, but they may be the most competent and dynamic offense we play all year.

My biggest fear is that KU is going to give us something new – they can be incredibly successful throwing down field, but the QB scramble is just as effective. That has not been a friendly combination to us in the past. We have good run defense, but not against a mobile QB when we drop back into coverage.

It’s all going to come down to our offense keeping up with their offense (if it can). They could dink and dunk at will against us with our bend but don’t break defense. On the flip side, we’ve shown a tendency to blow coverage on the backside this year, we just haven’t faced a competent offense outside of Baylor that could take advantage of it. Those explosive plays could put our offense in an unfriendly position when we’re so far turnover prone and inexperienced. I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think we can wait to halftime to make defensive adjustments this time.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Here are some CMC #'s from the other thread. The encouraging thing is that CMC has only lost a 2nd game in a row vs teams that win 10+ games in a season which I don't think Kansas team will do. Could be wrong.

CMC performance vs Kansas
2016: 31-24 ISU (at Kansas)
2017: 45-0 ISU (at ISU)
2018: 27-3 ISU (at Kansas)
2019: 41-31 ISU (at ISU)
2020: 52-22 ISU (at Kansas)
2021: 59-7 ISU (at ISU)

CMC ISU record coming off a loss
2017: 4-1 (losses in a row - at WVU(4); home vs OSU(7))
2018: 3-1 (losses in a row - at Iowa (10); home vs OU (10))
2019: 3-2 (losses in a row - home vs OSU (7); road vs OU(1); and road vs KSU(10) & ND(24))
2020: 3-0
2021: 3-1 (losses in a row - away at Tx Tech (3); away vs OU (7)).

So all of the 2nd losses above were to teams that had 10+ wins that season.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This is going to be a tough one.

Saw KU against Houston & some on Saturday switching back & forth.

Their qb Daniels is no joke. True dual threat qb with great speed. In fact, their whole team speed on both sides is pretty impressive.

ISU will need to play great on both sides or they will not come away with a win and it will be a very long season.
In the highlights I saw it looks like that QB takes some big hits. Similar to Sanders, I doubt if he makes it through the season without missing time or worse. We are probably unlucky to face them early in the season.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
not sure how we are favored in this game. Dekkers has not shown us that he can have a 0 int game and if we give the Kansas offense short fields we have no hope of stopping them.
I don't get it either. KU is winning (I don't care against who), they are at home, we're less experienced than last year, and we haven't exactly set the world on fire. How are we favored? Guess I don't understand the betting world if thats the clue. Having said all that, hope our offense can step it up this week.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Ya, refs just aren’t very good at their jobs. Just imagine working with the impunity at your jobs that refs have. No consequences, no reckoning or explanations required or given to anyone or anything. The worst thing that happens is you get demoted the next season to doing “less big” Big 12 games after a “performance review”.

This is just plain incorrect.
All college officials have to report in to an evaluator after every game. Those evaluations are used to determine if you move up or down (including down as in no longer part of the Big 12).

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
we do need to pull our heads out and be ready to go in the first half, the entire league is way too even to be spotting everyone two tds like we did Saturday and lot of last year

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
We are probably not as complete a team overall as 2021 and they are definitely improved BUT this is a team Iowa State beat by 52 points last year.

Just saying, don't buy into media hype.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We are probably not as complete a team overall as 2021 and they are definitely improved BUT this is a team Iowa State beat by 52 points last year.

Just saying, don't buy into media hype.

I'm seeing KU as an improved version of their last three weeks of last season and I wouldn't have been terribly confident if ISU had played them then, at least in a comfortable win.

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Watch some of the KU-Duke game. Duke at times couldn't tackle for beans. KU isn't going to be able to get loose on some of those runs like they did in that game. Their offense is certainly able to be contained.

CYedUp

Dec 18, 2021
I am a bit concerned with a 3 man front and not putting enough pressure on Daniels. His arm and accuracy look really good and if the coverage breaks down his mobility could be a huge problem for us. Also, after watching us fall for all the PA against Baylor makes me a little worried with the different schemes that KU is running.

Reactions: CyNews

troutslayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2011
This is just plain incorrect.
All college officials have to report in to an evaluator after every game. Those evaluations are used to determine if you move up or down (including down as in no longer part of the Big 12).
If you listen/watch the latest podcast from the 2 Chris' on Iowa Everywhere, Hassel said that the Big 12 basically has lower tiered refs because they don't have the $$ that the Big 10 or the SEC has to compensate them. And he wasn't saying that because he's an Iowa fan. That crap goes out the window when he's on the podcasts. I really enjoy listening to those two

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
If you listen/watch the latest podcast from the 2 Chris' on Iowa Everywhere, Hassel said that the Big 12 basically has lower tiered refs because they don't have the $$ that the Big 10 or the SEC has to compensate them. And he wasn't saying that because he's an Iowa fan. That crap goes out the window when he's on the podcasts. I really enjoy listening to those two

Bruns said the same thing on the Sunday pod

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
My biggest concern is the QB run. I know facing mobile QBs is tough for anybody, but I think we lack a lot of speed this year and Daniels could exploit that frequently – especially when we have to drop back to protect the pass. That’s what they’ve done to everybody else thus far and while we have a better defense than what they’ve faced, it’s not necessarily better in the area that most matters here. You saw it a lot on the Baylor PA plays – even when we’d have decent coverage, we just couldn’t get to the edge fast enough.

I could see Iowa State pulling together a complete game and winning by 14 or I could see KU winning by 7-10.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Watch some of the KU-Duke game. Duke at times couldn't tackle for beans. KU isn't going to be able to get loose on some of those runs like they did in that game. Their offense is certainly able to be contained.
Yeah Duke really isn't good, Their resume win was a northwestern team that is 1-3 with a win over Nebraska and losses to a FCS school and Mac school. Duke also beat Temple but Temple looks awful as well.

Honestly KU should've lost to WVU and I'm not convinced Houston is any good this year. This game is certainly isn't a gimme, but I trust CMC will have some of the issues patched up and I think this team will rebound well.