JTS Improvements - Want More

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Never shoulda left the Clyde. Screw that street expand expand. The layout would be all jacked up and asymmetrical but that's "character"
Oh well. Jack Trice is nice though old stadiums are always cool.

Imagine game day being that close to campustown.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
P
Alright I declare you the ISU FB fan of all time. That is a amazing record.
Very impressive record, particularly if he is not single. Can’t imagine getting around all the scheduling conflicts.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Never shoulda left the Clyde. Screw that street expand expand. The layout would be all jacked up and asymmetrical but that's "character"

Wonder what would have been if the stadium would have been positioned better in that area.

If it was just moved East a ways so the field was more centered up with State Gym it would have had much more room to expand.

There still is not a lot of room there, considering, but there are other historical stadiums that have similar tight locations.

Personally, though I just really love history, so seeing old pictures of Iowa State is something I really like. I really like seeing places that I know and see how they have changed or not changed over time. To see a feature that is exactly the same as it was 100+ years ago, is just a really interesting thing for me.

BuschLight

Jul 24, 2022
There was already no place to expand west, short of buying out all the property owners along Sheldon and closing the street. So as the stadium grew, the only option was to do so in a lopsided fashion.

You can see how much different the west and east stands were in size during the last few years:

BOqxMIpCMAEa9dP
I lived on Sheldon right across from where this used to be. It's crazy to think State gym parking lot used to be a football stadium.

BuschLight

Jul 24, 2022

Parking/tailgating options would have been awful if they kept it right in campustown

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
I read somewhere that it seated 35K... which is still more than KU gets today.
That included the South endzone sections (not pictured) (permanent bleacher seats, which were approximately 12,000 I think, student sections were there, as was beer and whiskey, pretty easy to get in, not much security in end zone seats......"All the way to Lincolnway. LOL

Reactions: VeloClone

NorthIowaCy

May 10, 2022
I went to many football games at Clyde Williams Stadium. During this time, TV didn’t have control of kickoff times, so all games started at 1:30. Since there was no reserved seating for students, students would line up at the entrance gate in the parking lot by Helser Hall very early on Saturday morning. When the gates were opened the students would rush into the stadium and throw blankets down to reserve seats. Students respected the blanket covered seats as almost all early entering students’ job was to reserve seats for late arriving friends. Student section during the games was crazy. Plenty of beer, brandy, and wine filled bota bags. Cold weather meant bringing in a bottle of Yukon Jack. Because the stadium staff really didn’t care as long as you didn’t make a fool of yourself.

There was always something to do after the games. You could stop in for a beer at Torks (now Thumbs), or stop for a snack at the mom-and-pop grocery store (now Mother’s). You could head to Big Jim’s in Huxley and then on the Chris’ in Cambridge.

My favorite game in Clyde Williams was the 1972 game with number 2 rated Nebraska, led by Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Rodgers. The game ended in a 23-23 tie. Nebraska took a 23-17 lead with 1:03 left in the game, but ISU QB George Amundson passed the Cyclones the length of the field, then with 23 seconds left hit Willie Jones in the end zone for the tying touchdown. However, Tom Goedjen missed the extra point.

Although the games at Jack Trice are great, I will always remember the fun we had attending the games at Clyde Williams.

cyballrulz93

SuperFanatic
Jan 11, 2010
That included the South endzone sections (not pictured) (permanent bleacher seats, which were approximately 12,000 I think, student sections were there, as was beer and whiskey, pretty easy to get in, not much security in end zone seats......"All the way to Lincolnway. LOL
They used to flash the "All The Way to Lincolnway" message on the "video" board in the south endzone of JTS every time we were headed north and crossed the 50 in the early 90's. Needless to say, we didn't see that message very much back then.

danwbarrett

Mar 29, 2006
University City, MO
What conflicts? They conflict with him not the other way around
I did have one problem on Friday 10/1/76 when I had to go a Fort Dodge, IA emergency room at 10 pm. The next morning I asked the doctor if he would approve me going to the OU game in Ames. He said I could. That kept the consecutive games going.

I schedule everything around the football games. Last winter, I made my hotel reservations in Des Moines for the home games; I use rewards points for the hotel rooms at away games.

Help Support Us

Become a patron