JTS Improvements - Want More

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I have attended every home ISU FB game since 1970. I have attended every away ISU FB game since 1976 except for one in 1985. That’s 536 of the last 537 games, excluding the 3 games I was not allowed to attend during the pandemic.

We've actually met before, I sat next to you at the OU game in Norman back in 2011.

Reactions: Aclone

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Never went to a track meet, but to get to seats in the endzone, think I remember walking on the track. They had to close it for meets, people would kick stuff down on the track during football games! It wasn't closed like the Sukup, but openings in the planks (maybe in the Verticles) if I remember correctly.
They were prestressed concrete.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Never shoulda left the Clyde. Screw that street expand expand. The layout would be all jacked up and asymmetrical but that's "character"
Oh well. Jack Trice is nice though old stadiums are always cool.

Imagine game day being that close to campustown.
It would be a giant party before and after.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
There was already no place to expand west, short of buying out all the property owners along Sheldon and closing the street. So as the stadium grew, the only option was to do so in a lopsided fashion.

You can see how much different the west and east stands were in size during the last few years:

BOqxMIpCMAEa9dP
Should have built over the top of the street and made it a tunnel, like the running track.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
You can see that in this image.

more tailgating

What’s the building in the top right, across the street from what used to be the grocery store? That wasn’t there when I got there in the Eighties. Iirc, that was all low income housing.

Is it a school?

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I was in the south end zone when we tied Nebraska and everybody went nuts (alcohol influence) in the early 70’s. We all expected a routine extra point for the win and didn’t realize that we chocked until the scoreboard didn’t change well after the kick. In the 60’s, Tommy Vaughn & Tommy Watkins were studs under Clay Stapleton. My father was a letterman and we would go to the Will Call window, he would show his letterman card and we would get free tickets. In those days there were always seats available.

Reactions: NWICY and Mr.G.Spot

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
How are the finishing touches on the RV Village & Bridge coming along?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
What’s the building in the top right, across the street from what used to be the grocery store? That wasn’t there when I got there in the Eighties. Iirc, that was all low income housing.

Is it a school?
It does look like a school. But not sure. Maybe I can find some other info.

Edit: @Aclone
Harlan School (1968 to 1973) located southeast of Lincoln Way and S Hyland Ave. and named for long time principal John Harlan, had been the original Welch school until the new Junior High was opened on State Street. Harland was sold in May of 1976.

1659662997678.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone and CYCLNST8