Iowa Football Recruiting

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Last year covid screwed up the I-Cubs schedule so they couldn't honor the week of state baseball. I thought it was going to be a one year deal but maybe the IAHSAA has decided to part ways? Also, I believe state baseball moved up a week this year so that may have caused conflict for Principal Park again.

They moved them because MLB sets the minor league schedule now and they could not guarantee the stadium would be available.

They moved it up so there could be a dead week between baseball and football starting.

• Winner
Reactions: Ankency

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I've kind of expected more from Fant. I mean, he's a solid player but the numbers are under what I thought they'd be. A new team might be what he needed.
My extended family are hawks. (Forgive me). Actual alums and donors, which is rare in hawk fandom. Big Ten snobs. It's insufferable.

But it was unanimous for all of us that Hockenson was clearly the superior player. Fant made more big plays, but was much less clutch, more finesse, and did most of his damage in space. He's not really a red zone guy. Hockenson was tough as nails. I hated watching him play because he would rip the opponents heart out and he enjoyed it.

• Agree
Reactions: criticalobserver

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Injuries suck. Hope he pocketed some decent cash. Has always seemed like a nice guy.

Hopefully a good experience being on a pro squad for a couple of years even if injured one year. Making a squad at all is pretty good for a 7th rounder. Hopefully our 7th rounder Purdy can find a spot and stick around some also.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
  • Haha
Reactions: BigD

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
What utter and absolute nonsense. If the Iowa coaching staff puts someone in the first round of the nfl draft every year but wins 5 games, they won’t be there long. A few years at best. Every college football coach in the country looks at a kid and asks themselves, "will this player help our school win football games?" If the answer is yes they get a scholarship, if no, they don’t.

No, I could have worded it better, but at iowa, you rarely see them get guys that are not NFL prototype size. At ISU, we may get guys that are a few inches shorter than what the NFL wants, or a step slower. You don't see iowa taking a chance on someone like JaQuan Bailey, who was a really good college player, but not an NFL talent. No doubt someone like that could have played for them.

Everyone wants players that can help them win. I just think that iowa has a slightly different strategy in that they go more for NFL type measurables. Getting guys drafted pays off in recruiting. I don't think that you can argue that they've done less with more NFL talent than most teams out there. Still, they've been very successful.

• Creative
Reactions: 1776

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
99.9999% of people had no idea you could attend a high school playoff baseball game in IC and watch the Hawkeye football team practice from the stands instead. Now they do. I expect to see a LOT more people going to these games now to watch the football team workout.
I didn't think there are supposed to be organized team workouts right now are there? Maybe that's just practices.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa home games against ISU and Michigan are sold out. I'm guessing Wisconsin will sell out as well. Probably be hard to sell out SDSU and Nevada. Depending on how the season goes I could see Wisconsin selling out along with NW and Nebraska.

Tickets to the general public go on sale tomorrow.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron