Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
If true, that'd be a major blow to the Big 10's plans, as it is believed that North Carolina and Virginia are in their scopes.
That'd probably mean dissolution of conference which, in turn, leaves Notre Dame on a complete island again. And that might just play into the B1G hand. Fun stuff!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Would be absolutely huge for us. Takes teams away from the Big 10 that they want. They'd probably immediately turn to Or/Washington. That leaves a lot of good programs for the Big 12 to start grabbing up from both conferences.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The PAC 12 without USC is like the Big 10 without tOSU. They ARE that league. But 75% of the media seemingly has blocked out that USC isn’t a chip for the PAC 12 any longer.

It's a good comparison. I don't think people fully appreciate how much OSU drives the Big 10 value.

Michigan, PSU and Wisconsin are great media values, but they are not remotely close to OSU. Then you've got MSU sort of in that gap sometimes up there with the PSU/UW, sometimes down. After that you could put any other 10 schools in the league and it would make zero difference. No one else in that league matters one bit. A good league is Ohio State and any other schools. A great league is Ohio State, Michigan, PSU, Wisconsin, MSU and whatever other schools. Would they rather have Iowa and Nebraska than Kansas and Missouri? Sure, but it really doesn't matter. The difference is in the margins.

The difference is everything is scaled down by like 1/5 in the PAC.

For all practical purposes, the PAC is dead as a power conference.

Next up ACC. Time to get enough teams signaling instability and the Big 12 picks up a few of the Big 10/SEC leftovers and away we go.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Outside of Nebraska, everyone the Big 10 has added has fit their culture.

OU certainly fits the SEC culture, Texas probably not as much.
You think USC and UCLA fit the BIG culture? I guess I don't.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
These mountain school presidents need to decide whether they want to sip wine with the Stanford president or double the number of eyeballs who watch their football team. A loose partnership with the ACC won't cut it.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
UNC, Clemson. Florida state, Virginia talking with SEC. Espn trying to void the ACC’s contract!!!

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
How is the home of the Confederacy and one of the original southern colonies a better fit for the Big 10 than the SEC?

Also who pays more over the next decade?

In 2022 it's probably more relevant to compare academics and athletics than political events of 161 years ago.
This. You might be right though @Gunnerclone , I'm looking at it from 1,000 miles away but seems like those institutions are more "academic" but maybe that's only because they're compared to the others in close proximity?

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
In today's world, conferences are a group of schools put together to maximize the revenue they can generate by selling their media rights, which is primarily driven by football.

So if by "culture" you mean, "make a ton of money," I'm with you.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Colorado's closest Pac-12 game is a an 8 hour drive to SLC. Second closest game is Tempe, which is a 13 hour drive from Denver.

In the 2023 Big 12. They'd have the two Kansas schools, Provo and Lubbock, all in under 9 hours to Denver.

Plus you get Stillwater is 9 hours. ISU in 10 hours. TCU is 12.5. So 7 schools at 12.5 hours of driving or less. Versus 1 in the Pac 10/12.

CU would have direct flights to SLC, OKC, DFW, KC, DSM, Lubbock, Houston, Orlando, Austin (Depending on how you want to get to Baylor), Cincinnati, and Pittsburg (WV)

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Would be absolutely huge for us. Takes teams away from the Big 10 that they want. They'd probably immediately turn to Or/Washington. That leaves a lot of good programs for the Big 12 to start grabbing up from both conferences.
How many teams does it take to dissolve the ACC? It seems like that will be a big lift. Time for Big 12 to start working Miami and maybe a few others to work out a wink and a nod agreement on how they land if they league dissolves.

Who else makes the most sense that would not likely get an SEC or Big 10 invite for the Big 12 to join?

Geography is kind of out the window at this point.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Cultural fit? Not sure what that means in this context. Show up and play the game!

A good litmus test is the education ranking of the school, as that generally gives a good indication of how important education is to that University. Most of the schools the Big 12 want are in the top 100 of just about any best public university list. Most of the schools in the Big 12 are far outside the top 100.
How is the home of the Confederacy and one of the original southern colonies a better fit for the Big 10 than the SEC?

Also who pays more over the next decade?

see response above.

If the money from one would be substantially more than the other, education takes a back seat. But when the money is going to be relatively equal in either scenario? Why in the world would any top educational institution willingly join the SEC in that situation?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not saying I believe the tweet, I don't. But... If you are NC or UVA and you have a choice of B1G vs SEC, where do you go? From my perspective the B1G is a better fit for them, but I don't live there so I have no inside knowledge.

It’s a good fit in many ways but at some point it needs to be addressed that SEC is head and shoulders better in football QUALITY.

Over the years the Big Ten helped themselves there with USC and Penn State…but Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA, UVA, UNC…they aren’t really adding football quality or getting far enough south to open up that talent. I get why there was always a Texas rumor.

I’m not convinced half of these Big Ten schools that aren’t that good at football are suddenly going to be better because they get 30-40% more money. They’ve already been getting more money than 90% of college football and haven’t been good.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
How many teams does it take to dissolve the ACC? It seems like that will be a big lift. Time for Big 12 to start working Miami and maybe a few others to work out a wink and a nod agreement on how they land if they league dissolves.

Who else makes the most sense that would not likely get an SEC or Big 10 invite for the Big 12 to join?

Geography is kind of out the window at this point.

The top of the heap would likely be Georgia Tech, Miami, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Syracuse, NC State. ND has to go Big 10 then, we don't know if that would take Oregon and Washington off the table, but either way LOTS of options.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
A good litmus test is the education ranking of the school, as that generally gives a good indication of how important education is to that University. Most of the schools the Big 12 want are in the top 100 of just about any best public university list. Most of the schools in the Big 12 are far outside the top 100.

see response above.

If the money from one would be substantially more than the other, education takes a back seat. But when the money is going to be relatively equal in either scenario? Why in the world would any top educational institution willingly join the SEC in that situation?
It’s more of a litmus test of how much money and prestige the school has. ISU doesn’t “value education” any less than the Pac schools, we’ve been underfunded compared to our peers for two decades. But your point stands.