Why are Farmers never happy?

Are farmers too needy?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
So the farmers you supposedly talk to sit around complaining about single mothers on welfare? Yea I’m gonna guess you’re making that up.
I think you’re assuming what I’m saying. I am not saying they literally sit around all day talking about it. But when politics get brought up they bash welfare taking people. It’s hypocritical. Bottom line.

Reactions: wxman1 and CyDude16

Heilsqauvador

Aug 21, 2011
Hampton, IA
Farmers could certainly do a better job of soil conservation and nitrogen runoff. Vast majority of nitrogen in the water comes from farms. That's a scientific fact.

There is a point to royalcy on the lawn runoff too though. We care about our lawns wayyy too much in this country and heavy rains drive nitrogen runoff into storm sewers. I am remembering a thread on here where someone was putting fertilizer on their lawn 4 times a year. If you are one of those people you would be extremely hypocritical to criticize farmers as they use very calculated rates. Precision agriculture with soil testing is improving excess use somewhat. Most people applying on their lawn have no idea what thier soil profile is.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The average age of the farmer in this country is 57. The end of the small farms can have many causes. One of the largest is the next generation isn’t coming home to the farm. Farm consolidation is happening rapidly because most farmers kids aren’t coming back. Also the farm crisis of the 80’s took a ton of small farms and sent a ton of farm kids to college or town for jobs because there was no money on the farm with ridiculous interest rates and low prices. That’s basically a lost generation of farmers.
My grand father had to sell the farm in the 60's. My father still cries about it. I'm pretty detached from it but growing up in Iowa, if you pay attention anyone can learn a little about farming.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Siap, but I have an honest question. I have a lot of respect for farmers. I do wonder though. Almost all of the farmers around me always have newer vehicles, campers, remodeled houses, nice boats, a lake house, etc.... Is farming that lucrative? Are they all in massive debt, or is this all being written off? I have no idea. A lot of respect for most farmers, but I don't think I've ever felt bad or sorry for them.

Reactions: royalcy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Siap, but I have an honest question. I have a lot of respect for farmers. I do wonder though. Almost all of the farmers around me always have newer vehicles, campers, remodeled houses, nice boats, a lake house, etc.... Is farming that lucrative? Are they all in massive debt, or is this all being written off? I have no idea. A lot of respect for most farmers, but I don't think I've ever felt bad or sorry for them.
I would think some of that can be written off.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
My fathers uncle who’s a hog farmer had to buy a brand new truck last year so he could get a write off.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Farmers could certainly do a better job of soil conservation and nitrogen runoff. Vast majority of nitrogen in the water comes from farms. That's a scientific fact.

There is a point to royalcy on the lawn runoff too though. We care about our lawns wayyy too much in this country and heavy rains drive nitrogen runoff into storm sewers. I am remembering a thread on here where someone was putting fertilizer on their lawn 4 times a year. If you are one of those people you would be extremely hypocritical to criticize farmers as they use very calculated rates. Precision agriculture with soil testing is improving excess use somewhat. Most people applying on their lawn have no idea what thier soil profile is.

I'm sure the info is out there...is the nitrogen more from fields, manure, or both?

It really seems like in WI I see more cows bunched up in very small areas that look like would be higher concentrations of runoff vs if it were spread out over a large pasture.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
You just proved my point. You have no idea how many actual pounds of fertilizer per acre you are putting on. A farmer does and it is no where close to the same rate. Yours is for looks. Theirs is to maximize profit.
FIFY.

I respect farmers and what they do, but this whole “feed the world” narrative is a bit too altruistic for me. They’re in it to maximize profit just like any business.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A common b|tch on here is the new pickup. You will see it multiple times a week if you visit the cesspool of misinformation that is The Cave. What is misunderstood is that farmers don't value cash very much, they value equity. Trading a pickup is an easy way to roll off some profit that would otherwise be taxed into something that can be written off as an expense. That $60k pickup that everyone ******* about is traded for $10k and is written off as a business expense.

Or if you are a degenerate libtard it's a $100k loaded Ford King Ranch that was paid for with government subsidy money. /s

Calls the cave a cesspool.

Brings the cesspool to a thread that's been decent so far.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
FIFY.

I respect farmers and what they do, but this whole “feed the world” narrative is a bit too altruistic for me. They’re in it to maximize profit just like any business.
This is 100% correct. The narrative is a paid for talking point from dumb@ss organizations like Farm Bureau.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think it favors major industry and has basically destroyed the small farmer but I'm sure you have better insight.

Technology advances killed the small farmer. My great-great grandpa farmed and made a living on 320 acres before tractors were around. This was a large farm in its day. It took him 2+ months to plant that land and now I can plant that 320 acres in a single day now. Should I get to make the same living that he made with my 1 day of work vs his 60?

Reactions: WISCY1895

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Technology advances killed the small farmer. My great-great grandpa farmed and made a living on 320 acres before tractors were around. This was a large farm in its day. It took him 2+ months to plant that land and now I can plant that 320 acres in a single day now. Should I get to make the same living that he made with my 1 day of work vs his 60?
I personally hope you make a lot and donate it it to the football program. :chris:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Hit so hard it got deleted, shame.
Sorry if I don't think this is a thread that would deserve "libtard."
Personally, I'm learning some things, maybe others are too.
I hope others are courteous and not use words on the other end of the spectrum as well.

Reactions: wxman1 and madguy30

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
FIFY.

And this is my issue. When you then have any question or concern around decisions they make - as a business - they shroud themselves in the cloak of "can't criticize us, we feed you, you couldn't do our job for a minute" crap. Want the praise but no questions, especially if you are not born and raised in it. And even then. It's a lot of the same voices in the industry and the insularity of it reinforces them. Diversity of perspective would be a good thing but it's seen as a threat and attacked.

Help Support Us

Become a patron