Random Thoughts 16: “Somebody had to do it” edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I can see the back yard of a house about 5 houses away and it is filled with boxes and crap. Not sure when that happened. Not sure why you wouldn't get a dumpster and throw it all in there instead of just loading up the back yard. Maybe they're hoping the wind will blow it all away.

View attachment 98654
Mrs. Velo has been debating calling the City on neighbors across the street and one door down. They have had 8-10 large garbage bags - we assume full of leaves - in their front yard along their walk since early last fall. "Hey, guys, its spring, you can pick that **** up."

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I can see the back yard of a house about 5 houses away and it is filled with boxes and crap. Not sure when that happened. Not sure why you wouldn't get a dumpster and throw it all in there instead of just loading up the back yard. Maybe they're hoping the wind will blow it all away.

For the same reason people dump trash in ditches in the country or dead end streets with minimal vacancy.

Money.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

View attachment 98654
At least it's in a fenced BACK yard, and not in the open out front so it can blow down the street...

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
How's Tiger?

She's doing great. Her marks / rash on the tummy are pretty much gone and hair around that area of the tummy has grown back. Still has the cone on as her checkup appointment is Friday. After putting on the second cone she has been nothing but a well behaved kitty. So proud of her.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Mrs. Velo has been debating calling the City on neighbors across the street and one door down. They have had 8-10 large garbage bags - we assume full of leaves - in their front yard along their walk since early last fall. "Hey, guys, its spring, you can pick that **** up."
If they were my neighbors, they would be full of beer cans.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Put a new belt on my car because it was squealing when I ran the air. There's 2 different belts for it depending on the alternator. So I went with the one for the regular alternator. Too short. Took it back and exchanged it for the one for the heavy duty alternator, that was a half inch longer, but the package said it was a half inch shorter. The guys at O'Reillys were confused. They measured them and it was longer. I put that one on and it fit perfectly.

Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Warning: pointless post...

At my work they have a wellness program. If you participate and accumulate a set number of points you get your next year's health insurance at a discounted rate (or is the non-wellness rate inflated?). So they had biometric screenings yesterday at my workplace. I already have my points but I like to go for a free checkup - mainly so KC doesn't yell at me to go to the doctor. ;)

So they were behind and there was a little bit of a line. I was pretty early for my appointment so I didn't get worked up about it. Another guy showed up and scrambled to get another privacy booth set up. When he did he brought me in to do my blood work before I went in to see one of the nurses for the actual appointment. That was fine. When I went in to see the nurse it was clear that she was totally frazzled. She couldn't get her tablet to work - it wouldn't accept her log in - so the guy gave her his. She took my weight (Velo is getting fat) and then turned around the plastic height thing that for some reason was facing the wall. After recording my height I asked her twice if I could put my shoes back on. She was immersed in what she was doing so I took that as a 'yes'. While I was leaning over tying my shoe I realized why the height thing was facing the wall. It fell over and hit me on the head and shoulder. Luckily it was a light plastic portable one. I wasn't hurt. Apparently it had happened before that morning.

She had written my numbers on a form and went over them with me. Apparently doing heavy lifting all weekend is good for compaction of your spine because she had me at 5' 11 3/4" rather than the 5' 11 1/4" they have measured me at the last couple of times. BMI, no bueno; I was at an "obese" 32.

Then she had to enter the numbers in the tablet. After she did I was supposed to enter the password I had set up at the beginning of my appointment. "Incorrect password" I tried again to no avail. So she had me do the alternate method of entering my birthdate. "Incorrect birthdate" Then the guy came over and said that she had taken too long so it had timed out. So he started entering it. When he came to my height he said they round to the nearest half inch for the system so he rounded up to 6' 0". Amazingly that dropped my BMI from 32 all the way down to 26.6 so that puts me in the "overweight" range. He finished entering all my numbers and finally got me out of there.

Not exactly the smoothest experience (understatement) but I'll give them a pass. I have been going almost every year for quite some time and they have generally been pretty professional and proficient. Everyone (or every organization) has a bad day now and then.

TL;DR version: Velo was obese for just about five minutes.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Put a new belt on my car because it was squealing when I ran the air. There's 2 different belts for it depending on the alternator. So I went with the one for the regular alternator. Too short. Took it back and exchanged it for the one for the heavy duty alternator, that was a half inch longer, but the package said it was a half inch shorter. The guys at O'Reillys were confused. They measured them and it was longer. I put that one on and it fit perfectly.
For safety's sake I am glad you put a new belt on your car. You don't want your pants to suddenly drop around your hubcaps when you are doing 70.

giphy.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Warning: pointless post...

At my work they have a wellness program. If you participate and accumulate a set number of points you get your next year's health insurance at a discounted rate (or is the non-wellness rate inflated?). So they had biometric screenings yesterday at my workplace. I already have my points but I like to go for a free checkup - mainly so KC doesn't yell at me to go to the doctor. ;)

So they were behind and there was a little bit of a line. I was pretty early for my appointment so I didn't get worked up about it. Another guy showed up and scrambled to get another privacy booth set up. When he did he brought me in to do my blood work before I went in to see one of the nurses for the actual appointment. That was fine. When I went in to see the nurse it was clear that she was totally frazzled. She couldn't get her tablet to work - it wouldn't accept her log in - so the guy gave her his. She took my weight (Velo is getting fat) and then turned around the plastic height thing that for some reason was facing the wall. After recording my height I asked her twice if I could put my shoes back on. She was immersed in what she was doing so I took that as a 'yes'. While I was leaning over tying my shoe I realized why the height thing was facing the wall. It fell over and hit me on the head and shoulder. Luckily it was a light plastic portable one. I wasn't hurt. Apparently it had happened before that morning.

She had written my numbers on a form and went over them with me. Apparently doing heavy lifting all weekend is good for compaction of your spine because she had me at 5' 11 3/4" rather than the 5' 11 1/4" they have measured me at the last couple of times. BMI, no bueno; I was at an "obese" 32.

Then she had to enter the numbers in the tablet. After she did I was supposed to enter the password I had set up at the beginning of my appointment. "Incorrect password" I tried again to no avail. So she had me do the alternate method of entering my birthdate. "Incorrect birthdate" Then the guy came over and said that she had taken too long so it had timed out. So he started entering it. When he came to my height he said they round to the nearest half inch for the system so he rounded up to 6' 0". Amazingly that dropped my BMI from 32 all the way down to 26.6 so that puts me in the "overweight" range. He finished entering all my numbers and finally got me out of there.

Not exactly the smoothest experience (understatement) but I'll give them a pass. I have been going almost every year for quite some time and they have generally been pretty professional and proficient. Everyone (or every organization) has a bad day now and then.

TL;DR version: Velo was obese for just about five minutes.
Unless you have become significantly rounder, I find that BMI difficult to believe.

Maybe you should go to a REAL DOCTOR for a checkup...

1652190941587.png

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
CBT for stuff that is required but has absolutely nothing to do with my job (such as confined spaces, lifting with rigging etc.) starts off by saying "DO NOT MULTITASK WHILE TAKING THIS TRAINING"

LOL yeah okay....

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and jcyclonee

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
CBT for stuff that is required but has absolutely nothing to do with my job (such as confined spaces, lifting with rigging etc.) starts off by saying "DO NOT MULTITASK WHILE TAKING THIS TRAINING"

LOL yeah okay....
No multitasking so you need to decide if you are going to breathe or watch.

Reactions: wxman1

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
New wrinkle in the pain we call wrapping up a semester.

I don't know if I didn't bother to look and Blackboard at Drake set a default due date of today, or if I clicked it without paying attention (either way---no attention), but there's a panic going on. At first, I thought "WTF are we worried about? You have all week." Then I saw that someone spelled it out in an email.

When I went to fix it, Blackboard-Drake version (DMACCs isn't this aggressive) brought up a warning that this would remove the automatic zeroes for lateness, and asked essentially if I was really super sure I wanted to do that.

New experience for me there.
Yesterday's chaos included an ISU student apologizing for missing the final exam meeting. We didn't have one. It's online, and I figure they can't punish me anyway. In any case, this dude's class would have met today.

I feel like everything about the idea of Finals Week could be turned into something productive, but we'd rather do this instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron