MLB: ***Official 2022 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
C'mon Cubs fans, explain this one... what the hell? Lol

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This is a bad cubs team talent wise. I was hoping to be surprised a little this year, maybe a .500 team.

But what frustrates me is this team doesn't play fundamentally sound. Not sure if it is coaching or guys lack the talent to make the plays.

At some point the minor league system has to produce, it's tough to cobble together a roster made up of other team's scrap.

I was also curious to see how the Madrigal trade would play out last summer. Just don't think Madrigal & Hoerner can both be everyday starters in the same lineup. Neither can be a high-level shortstop or centerfielder. Personally, I would try to trade Madrigal while he might have some value (a little hard for a guy hitting .210).

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

It looked worse real time than that video linked.

Not sure if the media asked Contreras after game to explain. My take was he was super focused and in a bit of a panic to get the baseball that he tried to take the shortest route around the batter and his hand "just happened" to naturally swing up and the batter's balls "just happened" to be there. :cool:

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo

I think he was trying use him to slow his momentum to get around him to get to the ball and got the boys instead of his thigh. If he did that on purpose, he's better at that than Woodbury was at poking dudes in the eye.

Reactions: wxman1

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
If every Cubs fan just stopped watching, listening, attending games until the Rickets either sold the team or put a quality product on the field we'd avoid having to deal with this ********.

I've honestly not even given the Cubs a single thought until today when I saw this thread pop up. It's been wonderful not giving a single **** whether their low budget lineup hits or not.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm a twins fan but the Cubs being a mess makes me sad. Baseball is better when the Cubs are good. It's a shame.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I just think of the level of mismanagement it would take to have a young core of Schwarber, Bryant, Baez, Rizzo, Contreras and Russell and to be where we are now.

Schwarber hurts more now because of the DH and at the time paying a guy that was coming off a season where he hit .188 and had nearly twice as many strikeouts as he did hits I can see why they let him go at the time. He had a nice 2021 season where he finally hit well finishing .291 BA. Russell is not even in MLB anymore and is a trash human being off the field so can't blame them there. As for Rizzo, Baez, and Bryant they weren't winning with them lately and all 3 turned down more money with the Cubs to sign lesser deals this offseason so how do you blame the Cubs for not trying there too? They had to move on and stock up on some prospects else lose them for nothing. I assume they will do the same with Contreras this season since he has not signed an extension yet.

This roster is basically a AAA roster with some proven guys sprinkled in. Cubs management may as well admit this is a full on rebuild at the moment and not a re-load and just keep doing what they can to stock up on prospects then actually spend some money in the offseason. The best talent in the system right now is not ready to be called up yet for the most part. May see a few make it by end of the year but this current roster is not a couple call ups away from competing anytime soon.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If every Cubs fan just stopped watching, listening, attending games until the Rickets either sold the team or put a quality product on the field we'd avoid having to deal with this ********.

I've honestly not even given the Cubs a single thought until today when I saw this thread pop up. It's been wonderful not giving a single **** whether their low budget lineup hits or not.

I look up their scores some days. Haven't watched yet. Why watch this anyway?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I look up their scores some days. Haven't watched yet. Why watch this anyway?

I can't get the Marquee Network and glad Dish doesn't carry it at the moment anyways. Tried to watch SNB last night and switched about halfway through it was so brutal. The Dodgers just destroyed the Cubs pitching this series.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa

Why in #### should he. Chicago gave him keys to the mint and all he is interested in is money.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Nice outing by Hendricks last night. Can't believe they already brought Schwindel back a day after sending him to Iowa. Some injury moves apparently led to it but I like the thought of forcing Ross to play Rivas at 1B every day for awhile. Going to be some more moves coming soon with Miley and Simmons on rehab assignment in Iowa now so maybe he goes back down or they finally cut Hermosillo at that time.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Nice outing by Hendricks last night. Can't believe they already brought Schwindel back a day after sending him to Iowa. Some injury moves apparently led to it but I like the thought of forcing Ross to play Rivas at 1B every day for awhile. Going to be some more moves coming soon with Miley and Simmons on rehab assignment in Iowa now so maybe he goes back down or they finally cut Hermosillo at that time.
There's a few pitchers out with covid and I thought I saw a position player joined the lost too but I can't remember who

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Patrick Whiffdom batting 4th today... Guess Ross loves to have no chance to advance runners with these lines from his games in May so far

0-4 3K
1-4 3K
0-3 1K
0-4 0K
2-3 1K
0-4 3K
1-4 2K

So that is 4-26 with 13K and ZERO walks but hey he got hit by a pitch last night at least!

I get it, Ross is strapped with a bad roster too and not as if Villar is any better of an option at 3B. I blame Hoyer for not taking a flyer on someone to at least compete at 3B. Can't wait for some of these bums including Heyward to be gone. Feels like Ross is always having to find a new way to polish a turd every time he makes a lineup these days.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
This is a **** team but it’s been fun to watch the games I have.

I disagree with the idea of rebuilding when you’re a team as wealthy as the Cubs. I do think it’s a complete embarrassment.

However, I also think the idea has been restock in 2024 and learn from your mistakes from 2017-2021. Build a sustainable team. Don’t trade two high ceiling prospects for a SP5. You have to have a complete tear down to build this **** show back up.

I’m going to guess Miley and Smyly are gone. Could also see Hendricks go for the right offer. We’ll be able to trade our bullpen arms for prospects again. I’m going to guess no one will trade for anyone else except possibly Andrelton Simmons.

2024 should be fun. Until then, we wait and hope this incompetent organization doesn’t feel the need to tear down again in 5 years.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I disagree with the idea of rebuilding when you’re a team as wealthy as the Cubs. I do think it’s a complete embarrassment
But......but......but...... all I heard from the Ricketts all winter was how they weren't going for a complete rebuild and they would be competitive by filling a few holes. This is right back to 2012-13 level bad, not much major league talent right now.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This is a **** team but it’s been fun to watch the games I have.

I disagree with the idea of rebuilding when you’re a team as wealthy as the Cubs. I do think it’s a complete embarrassment.

However, I also think the idea has been restock in 2024 and learn from your mistakes from 2017-2021. Build a sustainable team. Don’t trade two high ceiling prospects for a SP5. You have to have a complete tear down to build this **** show back up.

I’m going to guess Miley and Smyly are gone. Could also see Hendricks go for the right offer. We’ll be able to trade our bullpen arms for prospects again. I’m going to guess no one will trade for anyone else except possibly Andrelton Simmons.

2024 should be fun. Until then, we wait and hope this incompetent organization doesn’t feel the need to tear down again in 5 years.

Oh they just need to trade off every tradable piece they can this season and stock up like they did the last full on re-build. Simmons is tradable if he is healthy, he is only on a 1 year deal and not part of the long term plan. The young team controlled pitchers will not be traded obviously but yeah I would not be surprised if they can get a haul for Hendricks they do it as he is 32 with this year and next at 14 mil so is he really going to be part of the plan by the time they compete again? Contreras should bring back a nice return even with his pending free agency.

Right now the only veterans signed past this season are
Hendricks through 2023 at 14mil
Stroman through 2024 (player option) doubt they trade him
Heyward through 2023 at 24.5. he probably gets DFA at some point
Suzuki through 2026 with a full no trade clause
Gomes through 2024 with club option 6 mil (age 34 right now)
Villar has a mutual option at 10 mil I doubt they pick up
Bote through at least 2024 + 2 club options

That's pretty much it, everyone else is either expiring contracts, team control, or arbitration eligible. No reason why they can start going after a few big pieces through free agency to take care of positions they don't have an impact prospect close to being ready for a call up. The word is they were close on Correa and he has an opt out after this year in his deal with the Twins so he should be back in play. There really is not a position on the roster right now where they couldn't upgrade at so can't make the excuse like in past years that "oh we only have like 2 spots open and there is not much for a market for that kind of player right now."

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
i hate service time manipulation. i would probably watch the cubs this year if they had all the young guys playing instead of all these bargain bin stop gaps.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Two nice debuts last night actually. What's that saying from Moneyball "how can you not be romantic about baseball?" Moments like that are just awesome. Great debut for Brandon Hughes too striking out 5 of the 6 batters he faced. May as well throw in Keegan Thompson's start into this too, 5 innings 4 hits no runs or walks and 5 K's. Hope they keep stretching him out and leave him in the rotation going forward as I think he has more value as a starter than a long man in the pen.

Suzuki got to show off his cannon of an arm last night throwing out Vogelbach at home. Granted he's not the fastest guy but that throw was right on the money and Willy was able to get him out with ease. Hoping we get to see a few more young guys make their debuts this year. I think Morel likely will be sent to AAA when they make another roster move but nice to get him a taste of the big leagues for now.