Do you expect big things from 09 football team this year?

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Big things from the team as a whole? Not as much as I expect from individuals. I expect Darks to have a much bigger role in the offense and to contribute a lot more. I expect LJ to improve his coverage. I expect Mahoney to be more calm, more accurate and have longer kickoffs. I expect there to be a verbal and phyiscal defensive leader this season. And finally, I expect Arnaud to carry over his success from the last few games into next season. I really dont expect a lot of new freshman contributions to be honest. At least not like we saw this year, that being said, I dont think we'll see McDonough much.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
This year's bowl season really showed how to slow down the so called "high powered" Big 12 south offenses...it can be done.

I believe the word you're looking for it...the option.:biggrin:.

On a more serious note, I expect at least one road and one conference win. If we don't get these, the next year will be a scary one.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
If you look at the schedule, 8 wins is not out of question. I will go into every season with the hope that we are undefeated. It is very unlikely we will be but if I don't hope that then I feel I am not a loyal fan. When looking at the schedule, there isn't a game on there that I say we cannot win depending on the Missouri quarterback. I think every game is winnable. Will we win every game? Probably not, but it is doable. I feel like with the talent we have returning and coming off of redshirt, we can win the Big 12 North. Call me crazy if you want, but I think it can happen. If you listen to any coach at the college level they will say that the biggest improvement in players is made between the freshman and sophmore year which helps us a lot. We will get players with speed we have never seen. LJ and Te' ron Benton will be studs. The question is, can we cover the middle of the field. I belive we can score with anyone, we just have to get stops. I guess the answer to your question is I will expect great things from this team. As I said, expecting anything less would be a poor fan.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
I am going to stay level headed, But just about anything can be an improvement over the losing streak we started last season.
That being said, I will say that Chizik and staff seemed to get into a mode where they were almost coaching to get fired. They seemed to stop caring this year, after a loss, Chizik wasnt mad, he seemed unattached, uninterested. Adjustments stopped, and we got worse. All of this proved to be true when Chizik jumped aboard war eagle. In my opinion, Chizik caught wind of the Auburn gig early in the season and gave up on these guys. This is how he was so unattached emotionally when it came to saying his goodbyes.

I will stay by my word that Sheppard is a big loss, its hard to find a player that didnt respect Coach Sheppard and the results he brought them. They will tell you that Coach Sheppard was a coach you could trust, he would tell you what was true instead of what he thought you wanted to hear. Ask if the techniques were bad, No. They respected the man, knew the workouts were tough, but bought into them because so many guys saw results. Again, I know there are some people that are just wrongly against Sheppard, but he was good and thats the truth, I dont care what the Strenght society of good guys has to say about him.

Unfortunately he is gone, and I trust Paul Rhoads to bring in a guy that can connect to these guys, be a coach they can trust, and show the same results.

This gives me optimism for this season, I will be cautiously optimistic with Paul Rhoads, Im not going to dive head first, I know better now, but with a dedicated coach, and some returning talent that will get an unbiased look. ISU could improve pleasantly in 09.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'm hopeful that the new coach and staff can win 4 games this season...

Anymore wins than 4 would be a bonus for me!!!!:yes:

Last edited:

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
This is what I expect...
Wins against - NDSU, Kent State, Army, Kansas State, Baylor, Colorado

These are all beatable teams (Baylor the toughest but we get them at home)
I think both Kansas and Missouri are going to drop into the middle of the pack with their QBs leaving and Macklin gone at Mizzzzu. Nebreaska is headed up to the top of the North with Pelini.

ktoddcyclones

Oct 31, 2007
Columbus Junction, IA
North Dakota State
Win

Iowa
Win

Kent State
Win

Army

Win

Kansas State *
Win

Kansas *
Win or lose will be close

Baylor (Homecoming) *
Win hopefully

Nebraska *
Lose probably

Texas A&M *
Win

Oklahoma State *
Lose don't know their talent

Colorado *
Win

Missouri * Win or lose will be close

Optimistic 10-2

Pessimistic 6-6

Me ?

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
This is what I expect...
Wins against - NDSU, Kent State, Army, Kansas State, Baylor, Colorado

These are all beatable teams (Baylor the toughest but we get them at home)
I think both Kansas and Missouri are going to drop into the middle of the pack with their QBs leaving and Macklin gone at Mizzzzu. Nebreaska is headed up to the top of the North with Pelini.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Reesing is back to terrorize us again. Kansas will be the team to beat in the North.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I went back to look at the first year record of our last 8 head coaches. Only twice did the new coach win more games in his first year than the old coach won in his last. Mac was +3 (went from 0 wins to 3) and Majors was +1 (went from 2 wins to 3). Criner and Stapleton were even, Chizik and Bruce were -1, Walden was -3 and Duncan was -5 (went from 8 wins to 3).

NEWS ALERT: It will happen this year. Six wins. It is January.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
i remember last time we brought in a new coach, coaches and i got all excited and automatically assumed we'd be going bowling but i think itll be a year or so before we can sniff at 6-7 wins, i hope im wrong theres no reason they cant win that many its not a hard schedule, they could be 4-0 heading into conference if they pull a upset against iowa in ames...but i dont think so i think 2-2 or 3-1 going into conference is more reasonable but i also dont expect a bowl i expect to be competive and show promise for the future

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
There are a lot of people setting themselves up to be mightily disappointed next season.

Want my prediction for next season? By the end of game 6 there's gonna be a "fire Paul Rhoads" bandwagon traveling down the highway. That wagon may not have a lot of people on it, but it's gonna be a strong vocal minority.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
As displeased as I am with Chizik and the things I've heard subsequent to his departure - he did lay a foundation. Rhaods may be the perfect fit to take that foundation and run. My hopes are simple - by the time we get to game 10 I'm hoping we're playing very well and are at least in the running for a minor bowl, depending on the outcome of the final games.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I am going to stay level headed, But just about anything can be an improvement over the losing streak we started last season.
That being said, I will say that Chizik and staff seemed to get into a mode where they were almost coaching to get fired. They seemed to stop caring this year, after a loss, Chizik wasnt mad, he seemed unattached, uninterested. Adjustments stopped, and we got worse. All of this proved to be true when Chizik jumped aboard war eagle. In my opinion, Chizik caught wind of the Auburn gig early in the season and gave up on these guys. This is how he was so unattached emotionally when it came to saying his goodbyes.

I will stay by my word that Sheppard is a big loss, its hard to find a player that didnt respect Coach Sheppard and the results he brought them. They will tell you that Coach Sheppard was a coach you could trust, he would tell you what was true instead of what he thought you wanted to hear. Ask if the techniques were bad, No. They respected the man, knew the workouts were tough, but bought into them because so many guys saw results. Again, I know there are some people that are just wrongly against Sheppard, but he was good and thats the truth, I dont care what the Strenght society of good guys has to say about him.

Unfortunately he is gone, and I trust Paul Rhoads to bring in a guy that can connect to these guys, be a coach they can trust, and show the same results.

This gives me optimism for this season, I will be cautiously optimistic with Paul Rhoads, Im not going to dive head first, I know better now, but with a dedicated coach, and some returning talent that will get an unbiased look. ISU could improve pleasantly in 09.

I also tend to believe that Tuberville was on the way out early in the season because of some discussions with Gene and Jay Jordan to see if Gene was available. The Okie state coach comments just let the cat out of the bag. Gene knew his staff was probably not up to the task of recruiting enough players probably by end of 2007 to move very much up in the Big 12 recruiting wars. Gene seemed more disengaged the second year than the first.

How can you go from three wins against decent teams to only two wins against nobodys and say you are involved and doing your job?

His coaching approach was not going to take us to the next tier. It was descending to the abyss. The nebraska game and the way it played out was very strange. We had everything to win being at home and we played like we were noy even in their league. Something was missing.

Gene never mentally moved his mind to Ames. He was already thinking about his next gig. He chose us as an stepping stone and one that he was watching his lifeclock to ensure he did not stay too long.

How does an Auburn AD hire a 5-19 coach unless something was preplanned? The old Geno coaches were thrown under the bus also when he exited. Thought he would take more of them.

This year also makes you wonder if Geno was recruting players for Auburn the second half of the season. Does anyone smell a rotten fish? Gene ended up being the transition coach between Dan and PR.

Bottom line, he did us a favor. He found a new job and we now have an engaged coach who is trying to do what should have been done two years ago.

Shep is an interesting case. If he told the players the truth, I can see where some loved him and others rebelled. Makes you think that we need two new strength coaches - one of tough demeanor and one that can handle the other type of players.

Reactions: lakeliving

VanderHuge

Jan 6, 2009
North Liberty, IA
I feel like we have gained tons of valuable experience this year. I honestly think next year we will be bowling. K-State, Kansas & Mizzou will be down and we are on the upswing!

Nov 9, 2008
I feel like we have gained tons of valuable experience this year. I honestly think next year we will be bowling. K-State, Kansas & Mizzou will be down and we are on the upswing!

What makes you think ISU is on the upswing as you call it?? You have yet to see the team hit the field this year and have no idea how the players will react to a new coach/system. Did you think ISU was on the upswing when Cheezie came to town? Just because other teams might be down doesnt mean ISU is taking the elevator up....doesnt work that way on the field.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This year's bowl season really showed how to slow down the so called "high powered" Big 12 south offenses...it can be done. Also, Missouri and KU were slowed down (Big 12 North carried the conference this year!). There is something to be said for not being overconfident in games (it's a nice problem to have) but the quick explosive offenses can be slowed down...I think we'll pull out a .500 season next year.
I am interested in seeing how it all plays out next Fall.

Had the bowl games been played a week after the end of the regular season, or even a week after the Big 12 championship game, I suspect the Big 12 offenses wouldn't have been slowed down all that much. The opposing defenses got a month to prepare. Also, in the games I saw, the Big 12 QBs looked somewhat rusty, and receivers were dropping balls.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
What makes you think ISU is on the upswing as you call it?? You have yet to see the team hit the field this year and have no idea how the players will react to a new coach/system. Did you think ISU was on the upswing when Cheezie came to town? Just because other teams might be down doesnt mean ISU is taking the elevator up....doesnt work that way on the field.

By the way that the offense came together over the last half of the season, with really young and outstanding talent, I'd say that that side of the ball was on the upswing. But a coaching change can disrupt that progression, and the defense really didn't show any sign of keeping up with the Joneses, so I'll at least wait for signing day, not to mention Spring ball. :biggrin:

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
it will be interesting to see how the qb situation pans out-i look for tiller to give arnaud a good run for the qb position.i think tiller will surprise many people and he could be as successful as the qb at baylor.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
it will be interesting to see how the qb situation pans out-i look for tiller to give arnaud a good run for the qb position.i think tiller will surprise many people and he could be as successful as the qb at baylor.
Well, that's interesting, because I think that Arnaud could be as successful as the quarterback at Oklahoma. :biggrin: