How important might Neb in Ames be?

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
In looking at the upcoming schedule, it strikes me that the Nebraska game could be a very important one for us. After a potentially painful game @ Tx a win would be nice but more importantly the next best chance for a win might not be until 2/11 when Colorado comes to town. I know that Co looks pretty bad but expecting a win in their house is tough (1/27). For the sake of this teams psyche, I hope we play well and pull out a W on wednesday. Even if Co is bad, I'd hate to play them at 0-8 and NEEDING a win.
Even if we look good this weekend, getting an actual W on the board will be huge next week.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Personally, I'm a little worried about this game...It's one of those games where we might have to go small.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
It's OK. We'll beat Texas this weekend and all your fears will be for naught.

Kool-AidMan.jpg

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
It's important because you have to protect home court and it is one of the few we have a shot at winning.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
There isn't a game on the Big 12 schedule you can say is going to be an easy win right now. I'm being optimistic hoping we can go 8-8 which would put us as 19-12 on the season and hopefully get us a NIT bid. Winning just 5 or 6 games wouldn't shock me either too though. You never know which team is going to show up on a given night for us right now.

Reactions: kingcy

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
There isn't a game on the Big 12 schedule you can say is going to be an easy win right now. I'm being optimistic hoping we can go 8-8 which would put us as 19-12 on the season and hopefully get us a NIT bid. Winning just 5 or 6 games wouldn't shock me either too though. You never know which team is going to show up on a given night for us right now.

True...but there also isn't a game where I feel like we have no chance...Maybe Oklahoma.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
You are so right, the Nebraska game will be key for the Big 12 season! We need a win to get started off on the right foot and build confidence, and we have to win our winnable home games if we want any shot at a decent season. It is a must win! And we should be able to win this.... of course we well know that we are capable of losing to anyone.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If we lose to Nebby it will be hard to get me back to Hilton. That sounds fairweather (and it is by definition) but my schedule is a nightmare and taking 6-7 hours to watch bad basketball just isn't worth it. We'll win and the point will be moot.

Don't worry. I sell or give away my unused tickets.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
On the court I don't think it's that important because I don't think we're going to the postseason.

Off the court I think it's pretty important to try and stay the tide of fan apathy.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Each of the last 2 seasons we have had five game losing streaks in the conference and I see another one this year after the Nebraska game when we go:

at Missouri
KU
@ Colorado
Oklahoma
@ K- State

That's followed up by
Missouri
Colorado

If we beat NU we can hopefully avoid an 8 game losing streak like you pointed out. If not we could be looking at a very long one.

What road conference game can we win this year? We went o-for last season and if it wasn't for the last game of the Macs first year we would be on a losing streak very similar to LE's.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
On the court I don't think it's that important because I don't think we're going to the postseason.

Off the court I think it's pretty important to try and stay the tide of fan apathy.

I don't think it is important for post season play. I agree I don't think we will have a resume for that. But losing that game can lead to a long losing streak and trying to break that becomes very difficult with each loss.

This can also hurt recruiting and retention.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Great point and it has me concerned as well. I hope that the improved play of Hamilton we may try to make them matchup against us instead of the other way around.

I just felt some of our problems came with a small line up, with only one guy that could get to the rim...It would be nice to go with Hamilton, but I fear the real problem is our missing piece(6'7" guy). Hard to ask AT, Vanderbeken, Hamilton to chase 6'5" guys around all night. Maybe, the answer is go zone in those situations...probably won't happen though.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I just felt some of our problems came with a small line up, with only one guy that could get to the rim...It would be nice to go with Hamilton, but I fear the real problem is our missing piece(6'7" guy). Hard to ask AT, Vanderbeken, Hamilton to chase 6'5" guys around all night. Maybe, the answer is go zone in those situations...probably won't happen though.

I don't see Mac playing a zone either. He will have to way the defensive liability Hamilton would be to his offensive ability and the mismatch that he would benefit from on that end.

I just hate to see us react to their starting line up instead of us forcing their hand. Yeah it is tough for our bigs to guard a 3 but we could also make it difficult for their small 4 to guard ours.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron