Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

It never ceases to amaze me, the level of drama queens they have over there in IC. Between the helicopter psycho parents like Kenyon (see post above) and Garza, to the total tools the McCaffrey family are, to Jorbo, it's an absolute circus every year. Is it any surprise no transfer wants to go there?
The number of players’ parents that have posted over there is incredible.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Found this on the guy we were talking about earlier. Wonder if Iowa was late on him because they were 100% not mentioned with him before. No idea how credible the source is here either. If I had to guess where Iowa ranked here it would be only ahead of Washington. Not sure what Fran could do to beat out Tech, Arky, or Kentucky

Iowa isn’t beating out those schools for this guy.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I guess you are saying Fran is racist? He is a lot of things, including a crap coach, but I don't think he is that. I don't think it's fair to imply that, and to my knowledge in his years of coaching has never been thought of like that.

I'm not saying Fran is racist.

But the 'thug u' thing and 'we don't recruit thugs' from him and the fan base is absolutely soaked in at least biased tropes and some of his players, after behaving in concrete thug behavior for a decade on full display, never get called the same thing, and that's not a coincidence.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's what they want us to think.

Fast forward 7 months from now. Patrick has put on 20 pounds of muscle and spent all off season shooting 35' threes with Luka. Filip Rebraca puts up numbers like he did at North Dakota. Payton Sandfort gets adequate playing time and becomes a high volume 3 point scorer at 40+% and pushes for all big 10 consideration. Tony Perkins just takes over with his athleticism and develops a nice 3 point stroke to go with it.

I could see any of that happening aside from the Patrick part, which I hope comes across as funny as it sounded in my head.
Sandfort will get better but won’t blow up this coming year. Fran is not good with guard development so I don’t see Perkins blowing up to all big 10 level. Filip is 25 years old and will be in his 5th year so I doubt he all of a sudden becomes good. So out of those guys I’d place my wager on Patrick but that’s still a huge shot in the dark.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm not saying Fran is racist.

But the 'thug u' thing and 'we don't recruit thugs' from him and the fan base is absolutely soaked in at least biased tropes and some of his players, after behaving in concrete thug behavior for a decade on full display, never get called the same thing, and that's not a coincidence.
Fran is not racist. He’s out of touch with recruiting though and won’t change his methods out of pure principle in my opinion.

Iowa fans that use the word thug in regards to players and transfers are racist though.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Wow - that is awesome. So Lickliter's kid played for Iowa and was terrible, I take it? Did it really matter since weren't Lickliter teams just absolutely atrocious?

I can't remember how much he played but he should have been a walk-on at best. Lickliter just had very little to work with.

Even funnier was Iowa demanded an apology from WHO-13 for the bit and to Keith Murphy's credit, he said they weren't going to apologize for the content.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You are 100% spot on.

Credit to him, Keegan grew into a college shot maker. I think he has work to do in order to become a NBA level shot maker. If you go back and look objectively, he rattled in most of his makes. NBA defense will disrupt you just enough to turn those into misses.

NBA makes just sound and look different. They barely move the net and make a more pure sound, even the swishes. That's why you don't see many NBA jumpshots rattle home as opposed to college if you sit down and watch closely. It doesn't get talked about enough.
I wouldn't put too much stock into how a made basket sounds. A good amount of the difference in how it sounds is in how the TV crew mics the basket.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
If I had to choose right now between the 6 we brought in and Rebraca, he would be in the 5-7 range, objectively.

1. Brockington
2. Kunc
3. Kalscheur
4. Grill
5. Robert Jones
6. Rebraca
7. Eneruna

Tristan has more talent than everyone but Brockington on this list but he hasn’t been able to put it all together. Bob Jones/Rebraca is a coin flip in my opinion. Bob can’t finish but plays D. Rebraca struggles defensively.
I would put him above Grill depending on your needs. I haven't been impressed with Grill at all. Either he just had a below average year for him, or that is who he is. I know he's got some talent, but I'm not sure he has put it all together yet and maybe he never will.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
ISU basically brought in the whole squad and they brought in Flipper, so I don't think a list does much.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
He's basically Joe Toussaint. Little better outside shooter. Not as many assists, but doesn't turn it over at the same rate that Toussaint did.

Iowa has a hole at PG right now. Jackson would compete for a starting job at Iowa
I don't think Joe T is a big loss either.

• Agree
Reactions: trevn

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Do not want.

I’m not sure we can even accurately compare Big Ten and Big 12 play after seeing ISU struggle with Big 12 but cut through the big ten like a chainsaw through a warm stick of butter.

Maybe Trey would be all Big Ten the same way the same way the 7th place Big 12 team blew out the big ten tourney champ and beat the big ten regular season champ on the road. Who knows? How could we tell? He only got spot minutes in those beat downs.

Reactions: JP4CY and GTO

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't think Joe T is a big loss either.
That doesn't change the fact that prior to yesterday, many fans had him penciled in as the starting PG to open next season. If Tre Jackson were on Iowa's roster, today, he'd be a contender to start.