*** Official #15 IOWA STATE vs #18 Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I wish they would just throw in Walker for a couple minutes when our offense hits a drought. I realize his defense isn’t there, but he at least gets the offense moving towards the basket. When things get tough our team settles for jumpshots. He might be able to get us out of those funks. I am not asking for 10+minutes a game. But a couple minutes here or there might be all the spark we need to get out of scoring slumps.
I think he should play just to hold some of these guys accountable if nothing else. He showed tonight he was willing to attack the paint. If IB, Gabe, Caleb etc show apprehension and settling for bad shots, make them sit and watch Jaden do it for 1-2 minutes. Holding guys accountable is important, one of a handful of things that got TJ's predecessor in trouble

Reactions: agentbear

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I'm still in awe that Jaden Walker outscored all 3 of our post guys combined. And that all of those fouled out.

15 fouls. 6 total points.

Reactions: agentbear

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
I think he should play just to hold some of these guys accountable if nothing else. He showed tonight he was willing to attack the paint. If IB, Gabe, Caleb etc show apprehension and settling for bad shots, make them sit and watch Jaden do it for 1-2 minutes. Holding guys accountable is important, one of a handful of things that got TJ's predecessor in trouble
Id be careful of qb 2 syndrome here... He came in as a guy who wasn't scouted by the opposition x and therefore did well in garbage time minutes. Nott sure that translates.

Tbh if this was a prohm team, I'd be wondering about these decisions... But tj has given me full reason to trust him.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
View attachment 94558
Then look at Tech's shot chart and tell me they deserved a billion more free throws than us.
Where is that from? I’m using ESPNs and it looks nothing like this.

Using ESPNs, here’s what their shot chart tells me. The second half is what to focus on, since that’s where the FT discrepancy occurred. Of course fouls don’t count as FG attempts (except and ones), so we are looking for share of shots at therim as a proxy.

TTU - 12 of their 19 second half shots were at the rim, or 63%.
ISU - 10 of their 33 second half shots were at the rim, or 30%.

It’s not a perfect determinant, but when actual FG selection is so overwhelming in this way, it strongly suggests TTU was attacking the rim dramatically more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Die4Cy and madguy30

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Is your brain really incapable of understanding this. It is not a conspiracy… the refs are just bad, and we have been on the u lucky end lately. That’s all it is. Random. We might be in the good end in a few weeks who knows.

It’s random getting homered in the Tech and OU games.

KU is something different and it’s hard fact the game is rigged for them frequently in conglferenxe play drastically more than when they hit NCAA tourney. We continually hire refs that have perma-boner for them for whatever reason.

No idea why we had to beat Texas by 25 to get a 9 point home win.

Our Baylor loss was the best officiated game in conference by far, we may have gotten subtle typical home court calls but it’s not like we got 23 more ft attempts or they got 0 ft attempts until the game was over.

This has been the worst conference officiating I’ve seen in 26 years of fandom by far. I suspect it’s a new coach being too nice to these crooks and morons.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I'm glad we're done with Tech. Bad match up for our guys. I hope we don't have to meet this team down in Kansas City.
Agree
We are a very good team.
Tonight, they were better. Quite a bit better actually. Move on. I do not believe the officiating cost us the game. They are a great defensive team. They were bigger, stronger and more aggressive.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Just looking over play by play. From 17:00 in 2nd half to 5:30 mark, TTU scored on 17 out of 18 possessions. They missed shots in there, but got offensive rebounds, and more importantly, zero turnovers in that stretch. That is why the game got away from us. From 28-29 to 44-66 (37-16 run).

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Id be careful of qb 2 syndrome here... He came in as a guy who wasn't scouted by the opposition x and therefore did well in garbage time minutes. Nott sure that translates.

Tbh if this was a prohm team, I'd be wondering about these decisions... But tj has given me full reason to trust him.

No one is saying play him more than a few minutes. But maybe if the offense is stagnant give him a few.

And TJ should have to answer why he thought not playing a PG for several minutes was a good idea. The game turned on that. Not putting in Tre was really dumb.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
making them is one thing, on the road I guess it’s just normal the other team is gonna get 15-30 more attempts.

they arent getting 15 more attempts...it'a 41 more MADE free throws on the road....that's not normal

Reactions: CyNews

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
ISU shot horribly and probably wouldn’t have won either way but the officiating was horrible. It’s just out of control this year. Ruining the game and doesn’t make people want to watch when CBB should be trying to get more people to watch. They need to do something about it in the off-season. You can’t let this kind of ultra physical play continue. Then they punish the teams that aren’t as physical when they try to be.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
ISU shot horribly and probably wouldn’t have won either way but the officiating was horrible. It’s just out of control this year. Ruining the game and doesn’t make people want to watch when CBB should be trying to get more people to watch. They need to do something about it in the off-season. You can’t let this kind of ultra physical play continue. Then they punish the teams that aren’t as physical when they try to be.
It seems like every year they try to enforce some new rule but the players out stubborn the refs. I can't believe I'm saying this, but they need to start reffing like the NBA.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Big George loves ISU and has done a lot of good things! Love his attitude. The team needs him. Anyone tweeting this stuff at the players really needs to check themselves.
It would interesting to know what TJ told him when he stopped GC on his way back to the bench after he fouled out

Reactions: dafarmer