*** Official #15 IOWA STATE vs #18 Texas Tech Game(Day) Thread ***

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
i did not enjoy this game, either.

i don't really have any issue with any of the fouls called on us this game. it seems unlikely to me that a team like texas tech committed so few fouls throughout the 2nd half.

we are so limited offensively that we cannot take the terrible shots we took tonight. it's unfortunate that we have a really streaky guard, a freshman point guard who is going to be up and down each game this season, and a forward who, despite being our leading scorer, looks pretty stoppable if you don't let him go left.

but we're that limited because we went 2-22 last season, have a brand new, cobbled together team, and probably sacrificed some "be the best we can be offensively THIS YEAR" time early in the season for what we basically expected to be another bad year focused on the development of hunter.

we'll continue to have incredibly thin margins of error. we need to figure out how to churn out a bucket here and there to stop the big runs. TJ needs to continue to grow as a coach--taking timeouts on the road to stop runs, etc. he will. we'll be in the tournament. i can't believe that, less than a year removed from how truly godawful we were.

go state!
Yeah gotta keep it in perspective. Tonight didn't feel good, but it's a good thing we're all pissed off about it. Emotion has been missing in recent years.

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
Walker has offensive tools but bottom line he doesn’t defend and it’s noticeable even in mop up duty. Unfortunately his offensive tools don’t include dead eye 3 point shooter which we really need.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes and Nococy

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
So I guess I’d ask why do you think this happens? Large scale anti-Iowa State conspiracy? The pro-Tech league office at work again?
Is your brain really incapable of understanding this. It is not a conspiracy… the refs are just bad, and we have been on the u lucky end lately. That’s all it is. Random. We might be in the good end in a few weeks who knows.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
This is also comical to me. They aren’t obligated to call the same or similar amount on each team. Hunter is literally our only threat going to the rim and we have no one who plays with their back to the basket. That doesn’t lead to many free throws.
But play was very physical on both sides. There is a ton of hand checking and other fouls that by the book should be called.

Hand checks can disrupt a teams offense nearly as much as being contested on the way to the hoop

But Tech is smart you grab and grab until the refs call it, if they don't not Tech's problem.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe if we attempted to drive, we’d shoot more FTs.

Adam’s made adjustments from our last game with them. TJ either didn’t or couldn’t.

Have to be able to be more physical if driving to force the foul.

This group doing that reminds of how ISU's WRs struggle to get separation.

Actually someone like Walker with length may be able to.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Jaden really got up on that last rebound. I wish he could play D. I think he has raw talent in the O end. But seems lost a lot on both ends.
He's like Terence Lewis without the 3 ball but with +athleticism

Reactions: legi

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If it's a foul on one end, it's a foul on the other.

Ok, but we weren’t attacking to force those calls. I can’t figure out what’s complicated about this beyond a convenient distraction from the fact we just got outplayed, which happens on the road against good teams.

We don’t utilize the post and we rarely drive to the rim. Taking 3s and long 2s doesn’t lend itself to many foul calls

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Well looking at the first 6 games 2-4 looked just fine. But after watching some of the close games we lost 3-3 would’ve been a hell of a lot nicer but nonetheless we still have a lot of winnable ball games left

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Ok, but we weren’t attacking to force those calls. I can’t figure out what’s complicated about this beyond a convenient distraction from the fact we just got outplayed, which happens on the road against good teams.

We don’t utilize the post and we rarely drive to the rim. Taking 3s and long 2s doesn’t lend itself to many foul calls
You also realize that fouls are allowed to be called outside the paint right? Just checking.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Is your brain really incapable of understanding this. It is not a conspiracy… the refs are just bad, and we have been on the u lucky end lately. That’s all it is. Random. We might be in the good end in a few weeks who knows.

Go back and read the game threads for every conference game. It’s the same complaints every game. It’s time people realize it’s not incompetent refereeing every game. It’s a bad combination of aggressive defense and offense that doesn’t attack that leads to foul discrepancies.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
So I guess I’d ask why do you think this happens? Large scale anti-Iowa State conspiracy? The pro-Tech league office at work again?
Nope. I think that officials are basically just not held to account when they're bad, and are very easily swung by either crowds or being worked by coaches. Need to be able to talk to them better/ride them more, make it clear you won't let your team get pushed around. I frankly don't know the reason or the solution. Maybe I'm conspiratorial but the wide open landscape of sports betting these days makes me feel like I would have to be naive to assume no official ever has a stake.

Again, it wasn't the deciding factor tonight. Cyclones didn't shoot well enough. Tech played better, Adams clearly has done a great job scouting ISU and knows how to make them uncomfortable on offense.

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
I hate to lose, but I can’t fault the effort of this team. Who would have thought that we would be having this kind of season with a group of young men that were thrown together over the summer? They have their good games and not so good games, but they have made Cyclone basketball fun again. My biggest disappointment tonight was reading the negative comments directed at the players on our own team. Keep in mind that future recruits read this stuff. Are they going to want to play for such a negative fan base?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Im not a ref hater, but certain guys seem to get away with fouls and other guys cant even breathe on a guy and get fouled. Hunter and Gabe get away with fouls somehow. And the refs are always picking on George and Kunc. The refs really hate Kunc.
They're too lanky. The other guys play lower and can get up into their guy